Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On board air-need boffins opinion!  (Read 1555 times)

Brachunky

• Guru
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: Wrangler TJ 4I6
  • Year: 1997
  • Brachunky
On board air-need boffins opinion!
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »

Right! The one mod I would really like to do is install OBA by using the old a/c compressor method. My TJ has got that bracket/mount above the alternator which I believe is used for a a/c compressor if fitted at the factory.
Reading up on the Sanden compressor website, they list the facelift XJ's as having the same mount a/c unit which suggests that it should bolt on to the TJ's bracket. Despite doing a search, I cannot confirm that this indeed is the compressor to find so Im wondering if anyone on here has done this mod and can advise?

donk498

Re: On board air-need boffins opinion!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »

I have a compressor of an Xj that fits on a tj mount. Was fitted to James 2.5 until he decided not to bother.

Delk

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:42:52 PM »

I had an ac compression on my jeep for years. Worked great and made stupid amounts of air compared to my electric one. It finally died because the centre bearing died. These are normally lubricated by the oil in the ad gas.

If I put one back in I thought about taking it apart and giving the insides a serious amount of grease.

My electric one works fine so I have not bothered.

keegantj

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:57:25 PM »

I have used my air con pump on my TJ as a air compressor. I think mine is different to yours in that it is mounted low down on the n/s under the power steering reservoir. I used clean filtered air from the air filter, through an in line oiler like the type used for air tools. It then goes into the pump and back out into a one way valve. Then on into an old gas cylinder via a pressure reg and water separator purchased off ebay. The wiring is a doddle. Look in Stu Olsen's TJ site. I have used it for 2 years trouble free and it pumps up a 35" tyre from @ 12 psi to 26 psi in @ 1 minute. You also need a pressure control switch which again is cheap on ebay.

Brachunky

• Guru
  • Brachunky
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:54:47 PM »

I have a compressor of an Xj that fits on a tj mount. Was fitted to James 2.5 until he decided not to bother.
Sounds good Dave. Is it complete with pulley & clutch?

UKJeeper

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »

Fit a drip feed oiler between the intake filter and the pump, and a oil separator downstream of the pump. That'll take care of the lube issues on the Sanden.

Brachunky

• Guru
  • Brachunky
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »

Thanks lads for the advice! I have a small air tank which comes off an ambulance to include too which will give it that extra capacity if needed.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 08:00:28 PM »

Fit a cooler after the compressor, the air gets really hot, it melted the drier on mine.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »

Mercedes trucks always used to have a coil of pipe on there trucks to allow the air to cool on exit from the compressor they were all 17ft long if stretched out

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 07:36:57 AM »

You can use your old AC condenser as well.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »

I have OBA on mine, fantastic pumps my 33s from 10psi to 30psi in a minute at idle and about 30sec at 1500 rpm. I have mine running to a tank in the back to allow cooling time and then back to a manifold at the front which has the oil separator and regulator, pressure switch, pressure gauge, safety valve, and outlets. I have a airtool oiler plumbed into the intake side.
Pages: [1]   Go Up