Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AirCon  (Read 2041 times)

Shaunfella

AirCon
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:43:45 AM »

Hi folks! Have a 2006 TJ and living in Dubai. Summer is here and it's time to put the roof back on as it's getting too warm. I love my TJ but the aircon is garbage during the summer.

Got 2 options.....

1. Sell it and check out the AC on the XJ

2. Explore the option of upgrading the AC on the TJ

Haa anyone boosted their AC...is it even possible?? Would love to keep it as I've spent a few quid on it but the 4 months off unbearable heat are brutal!!

Shaunfella

Re: AirCon
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:50:27 PM »

Bump

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 09:25:28 PM »

There's nothing wrong with TJ aircon, you need to insulate the hard top.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:17:02 PM »

the aircon is designed to give a set temp drop relative to the ambient air, which is determined by the amount of refrigerant in the system and the size and efficiency of the evaporator. Adding more refrigerant would make you think the system will give colder air, in reality it can make it just as bad as not having enough.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 11:59:31 AM »

As Dave says there should be a set drop compared to ambient temp. There's a chart in the FSM showing the spec. If the temp isn't within the correct range the A/C system pressures need to be checked against the spec. There's a pressure diagnosis chart to help diagnose any issues. If you don't have an FSM have a look in the Heating and Air Conditioning section of the online FSMs at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm#service

The online FSMs only go up to 2003 so there will be a fair amount that isn't relative to a 2005 model but the A/C section is the same.

The Transporter

• Guru
  • Guru: 1
    • http://www.hofmannheating.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »

Hi Shaunfella, I spent many years over in Dubai and even back then, Jeeps were famed for having crap aircon... Count yourself lucky you don't have a classic Range Rover, they would freeze you knees whilst everything else roasted... The problem that you have with most Western cars is lack of air flow or limited evaporator size, the compressor is good enough to run a small refrigeration unit, so the solution would be to do what a lot of Jap fourwheel drives do and have a second evaporator mounted else where in the car with a powerful fan unit and tee'd into the refrigerant lines... Refrigeration Transport Services over in Rashidya, they did a lot of upgrade work on the Army LandRovers and later their Humvees, the gaffer used to be a chap called PD Cooper but I guess that he has long retired now...Give them a go.

Of course, I assume that your current set up is up to spec, you have the correct refrigerant charge and cooling fans are working ok....
The gas man is a bit like the grim reaper...He rarely brings good news

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:53:31 PM »

To see if it's up to spec the test procedure in the FSM (linked previously) needs to be followed. Here's what the air temp should be when the test is done...

Shaunfella

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:51:15 AM »

Hi Shaunfella, I spent many years over in Dubai and even back then, Jeeps were famed for having crap aircon... Count yourself lucky you don't have a classic Range Rover, they would freeze you knees whilst everything else roasted... The problem that you have with most Western cars is lack of air flow or limited evaporator size, the compressor is good enough to run a small refrigeration unit, so the solution would be to do what a lot of Jap fourwheel drives do and have a second evaporator mounted else where in the car with a powerful fan unit and tee'd into the refrigerant lines... Refrigeration Transport Services over in Rashidya, they did a lot of upgrade work on the Army LandRovers and later their Humvees, the gaffer used to be a chap called PD Cooper but I guess that he has long retired now...Give them a go.

Of course, I assume that your current set up is up to spec, you have the correct refrigerant charge and cooling fans are working ok....

Hi Transporter,

Thanks for your response, very helpful.  I really want to keep the Jeep but the AC is heat is brutal for those few months in the summer as you know so will look into having an additional setup installed to beef it up (not Jock friendly at all here!).

Will let you know how I get on!

Cheers
Shaun

Shaunfella

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:22:40 AM »

To add another issue to my AC, when I turn the AC only turns on at the lowest setting.  Once select any fan speed above the lowest setting it switches off.

Anyone experienced similar issue and know if this is a simple fix??

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 11:11:59 AM »

Seen open top Jeeps in the desert with Air con condensers and fans over the top of the cage. Behind the driver......must work I guess........

Bit like driving around in a yoghurt delivery van :hysterical:

Shaunfella

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »

Bump! For any suggestions to the AC issue (blower stops when fan is dial is turned up past lowest setting)

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »

That would suggest a bad speed control switch or bad connector at that switch. You'd need to pull the center dash panel and have a look at the back of the controls. I'm not sure that you can see the back of the controls without them being removed, but if it is possible I think you'd have to be a bloody good contortionist.

Shaunfella

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply, I'm fuggin useless with all this so I only ask questions so that I have a good idea of whether or not the mechanic is taking p|ss when he performs open wallet surgery on me! :97:

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »

Just had a look in the parts list. The blower control switch used to be available separately but is now delisted. If you have a problem with the switch panel you'd have to replace the whole control panel. Rockauto has the switch for £85 (+shipping) if needed, less the birty's 5% off code of course.

Shaunfella

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »

Just had a look in the parts list. The blower control switch used to be available separately but is now delisted. If you have a problem with the switch panel you'd have to replace the whole control panel. Rockauto has the switch for £85 (+shipping) if needed, less the birty's 5% off code of course.

here's hoping it not that then! it's rathe rhot here now and god know how long it'd take to get shipped out!

thanks for the help  :icon_super:

Hillbilly

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: 4 litre Grand WJ
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »

here's hoping it not that then! it's rathe rhot here now and god know how long it'd take to get shipped out!

thanks for the help  :icon_sup

Shaun, Don't know how similar TJ electrics are to a GC but if you look just above where the front passengers feet are, you may find a cable to the heater motor resistor with an in line connector. Have a fiddle with the connector and if your lucky that might sort it. Might be the other way round if you have LHD. Might also be a load of bollox if the TJ has totally different wiring. :peekaboo:

Pages: [1]   Go Up