Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clutch slave/master issues  (Read 1358 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Clutch slave/master issues
« on: April 02, 2019, 10:19:23 PM »

Guys

Ive been having massive issues with my clutch slave/master since I swapped out the T150 and replaced with the T18. The bellhousing is identical in shape and the original slave bolted to the same location. I've currently got the late model CJ/YJ master and slave combo which I believe is 13/16 and 7/8 respectively. The pedal is from the later CJ/YJ and uses basic factory mounting points. I have an adjustable pushrod on the slave. Note all parts are new including the clutch. The issue I've been experiencing is that you adjust the clutch lever (at the bellhousing) to the point of slight freeplay with the slave in the most compressed position. The clutch works fine but after a few uses of the clutch the clutch starts to slip and the pushrod becomes rock solid or over extends and pushes the pushrod out of the slave. I have tried everything I can think of to rectify this and I'm not getting anywhere. 

Maybe someone can suggest something as the Jeep is parked up and out of action and I'd like to try and use it again.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: Clutch slave/master issues
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »

initial thought is that your trapping fluid in the system and it's not returning back to the reservoir quick enough, hence it works fine then after a few uses the clutch starts to slip then the pedal goes solid as said.

does the manual say you have to compress the slave to adjust the free play. would have thought the lever would self position and the only adjustment would be at the pedal?

not sure if these thoughts help
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up