Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifting an XJ  (Read 2432 times)

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
Lifting an XJ
« on: June 03, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »

So my standard-height rear springs are starting to sag a bit too much, and it's be rude not to consider taking the opportunity to lift the XJ. This is our daily driver, spending 99% on tarmac, and a little bit of time driving across grass/fields.

What are the limits on lifting, without compromising road-driving quality? and what would I need to get in order to achieve this? What should my other considerations be?

I have seen kits for sale on Ebay, etc. which are £600 - £1600, which feels steep (but this is a JEEP, so....)
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
Re: Lifting an XJ
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 12:03:56 AM »

Don't go above 3 inches otherwise you will compromise on road too much & you might start to need SYE for the prop angles (although I think on an XJ it might be 4 inches) & if you can stretch to it, buy old man emu parts, best on road & off road quality / mix.
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »

Thanks for the response Gaz. I was thinking about lifting by 2 or 3 inches, as I know the geometry needs help when you go too much, as well as needing extended brake lines, etc.

So if I plan to lift by 3", I think I need to get a full rear leaf spring pack, rear shock?, front springs, front shocks. Is there anything else I need? What else is it worth replacing whilst I have all that stuff off the car - I see things like "long-arm kits", and pitman arms, which are all foreign language to me (I'm used to working on wishbone suspension); are these worth replacing?
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 01:05:00 PM »

Its so long ago when we did our old XJ I cant remember, that & I am no mechanic  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

There is a steering relocation bracket needed form memory, Bolt it, don't weld it, been there done that, bust the weld. PM Donk (Dave) he will tell you all that your need, you will need new springs & shocks both front & rear.

Good luck  :icon_winkle:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 04:51:08 PM »

diesel jeep rears are already plus 1 inch. add the diesel towing pack springs and that should give you 1.5" lift on the back then some shackles and your at 2 to 3"
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 09:51:01 PM »

Your list is pretty much it. If you get a 2-3” lift kit with new springs and shocks that’s about it. Extended brake lines are the only other obvious thing I can think about and the more expensive kits might include them. Your panhard rod (trackbar) will need to be relocated on the axle bracket to centre the front axle under the Jeep. It can be 3/4” and just a case of drilling a new hole but you may have to reinforce the bracket by welding on a thick penny washer. An alternative to this is a bracket I saw recently on a Facebook group - I’ll try and find you the link.

My own recommendation would be an Old Man Emu 2” lift kit. It’s got to be the best riding kit out there and best made in my opinion. It is one of the most expensive though.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 09:57:35 PM »

I can’t upload a pic (iPhone problems). Search for FatBobsGarage track bat bracket for RHD Jeeps.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 04:37:41 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I have found an OME kit which I will go for; just need to save up the pennies first :)
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »

Good luck  :icon_super:

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 09:18:57 AM »

'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »

Thought I’d throw in the redneck hippy alternative....

Rear suspension ...
Leaves from another set ..keep adding until you have the height to match front (see below)
Extended shackles. Remember that Whatever increase you add is only half as you are only lifting one end.

Front suspension
Grand Cherokee springs are longer and easy to get hold of. (Maybe and inch and a bit taller)If you want to go higher poly spacers are available.

That little lot should take you a Saturday and cost less than a ton if you recycle.....there will be people here who have what you want taking up space in their garages.....

Have fun.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »

Thought I’d throw in the redneck hippy alternative....

Rear suspension ...
Leaves from another set ..keep adding until you have the height to match front (see below)
Extended shackles. Remember that Whatever increase you add is only half as you are only lifting one end.

Front suspension
Grand Cherokee springs are longer and easy to get hold of. (Maybe and inch and a bit taller)If you want to go higher poly spacers are available.

That little lot should take you a Saturday and cost less than a ton if you recycle.....there will be people here who have what you want taking up space in their garages.....

Have fun.

Cheers for the input and thinking material Wildwood. I think I'm decided on my path forward for now, but if I need anything extra, then I'll certainly consider the areas you have mentioned. I must admit, it is a bit of a minefield for the uninitiated, and mistakes are not going to be cheap. The risk is that this is our only car at the moment, so we need to to be reliable, and I am limited as to what work I can do at home on the driveway, so will need to be taken to a garage for the work to be carried out.
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
Pages: [1]   Go Up