Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ 2.7 CRD No Start!!  (Read 3309 times)

Wildfire

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: WJ 2.7 CRD
  • Year: 2004
WJ 2.7 CRD No Start!!
« on: June 29, 2020, 09:48:25 AM »

Ok Guys - looking for some Wj support here

I've had my WJ since New 2005 - now covered 225K miles - so I've been everywhere with this 4x4 including some serious off-road - also replaced everything through the years - Diff's Bearings Propshafts and the usual Brakes & Discs.

I'm not afraid to work on it - so now comes to my current problem!
The Jeep was cutting out under load (not towing - just a gentle slope)

So a quick check under the bonnet - air bubbles at the Fuel filter outlet to LP pump - Easy Change Filter!

Nope - still air in the system, so back to the old faithful - Soft Spares kit for the HP Pump and refurb!

Kinda worked - but again cut out on a large hill!!

So went off the grid and chucked the Fuel Filter - Joined the return line together and fitted a Sprinter Filter - Fuel in and same connection fuel out! - Sent pump to DieselBob for proper refurb.

Now - No start! - still have air in the fuel line! - This may be filler cap related (I ran over mine and kinda pushed it back together) I need to check with cap off and/or drill an air bleed into it!
during this work my DRBIII tells me that the Fuel Rail Pressure is 23psi against a requested 5000psi - so my current train of thought is that the Fuel Rail Solenoid is 'open' preventing start?

I'd done an injector Leak off when it was running prior to 2nd Filter and Pump refurb - All Injectors were similar leak off - quite minimal tbh!

I'm away from the jeep for a few days so any work will be on my return.

Any Thoughts?

Wildfire

• Forum Member
  • Vehicle: WJ 2.7 CRD
  • Year: 2004
Re: WJ 2.7 CRD No Start!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 03:53:16 PM »

:ace:
Success - so armed with a replacement Rail & Pressure Solenoid (from a Spare Car) I'm ready to dismantle the HP side again!

Rain stopped Play! - so decided to fit an electric fuel pump prior to the filter - and run a separate fuel supply to it (litre bottle suspended from the bonnet) - guaranteed no air and lo and behold the system primed quite well - so kicked the engine over with the starter to ensure the HP Pump had a chance of a prime
Also had the Fuel Solenoid connector off so cleaned that with electrical cleaner and fitted back on.

Turned the key and after some 10 secs it fired up!- shut it off before the ltr of fuel ran out!.
Reconnected the tank supply and she started no problem

Having a run through the DRBIII whilst I went for a test run - the HP pump is making 21000psi when demanded on steep hill & kick down - so we're good there.

Still have bubbles in the fuel line - so need top look at doing something with the fuel cap - I'll report back if that makes a change.

DarthLowen

• Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD
  • Year: 2002
Re: WJ 2.7 CRD No Start!!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 07:41:22 PM »

Interesting, I'm having similar no start issues. My WJ starts with a delay when cold, runs fine (replaced the injectors already and it runs much smoother since) and has a lot of power, however I haven't pushed it to its limits yet, so I don't know if it cuts out. The no (or extremely difficult) start occurs when I start from a cold engine and move the car just a few meters and turn it off. It starts when cold and starts when hot (with that delay though).

You're mentioning the filler cap, is there a known issue with those? Could this cause difficult start? I don't have a DRBIII, but I do have an OBDII interface, not sure if it shows HP though.

What does the fuel solenoid do? I would imagine if there's an issue with the HP side, the 'check engine light' would turn on? So I'm thinking air bubbles before or after LP side? Just a thought...
Pages: [1]   Go Up