Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to get E marked RHD 7" headlamp units with sidelights.  (Read 1745 times)

Tank1e

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Wrangler Safari (TJ)
  • Year: 1998

Hi all, I am re-importing a RHD Jeep Wrangler TJ 4l that has spent 10 years in Germany, Turkey and Belgium.  It is Eurospec but has sealed beam LHD 7 inch Headlamps.  Originals are lost.  But I can't seem to find any RHD equivalents for the UK MOT though have searched ebay and amazon + the usual dealers in UK.  Am I missing something? Do we not make RHD sealed beam units any more?

If not - any ideas on who might sell RHD units for Halogen Bulbs?

PS I know I could maybe get some cheap Chinese LEDs but I have heard that they are not MOT 'legal'. And the 'official' ones (if they are legal) are > £500. Unless anyone knows different?

Thanks in advance. New to this site - needed to find a UK focused one!

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: Where to get E marked RHD 7" headlamp units with sidelights.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 09:51:42 AM »

Welcome.

I'd avoid sealed beams myself, and get some H4 headlamps and some decent bulbs, like whatever the brightest Osram Nightbreaker bulbs are at the moment. The light output compared to sealed beams will be night and day, literally.

I have Trucklite LEDs on the front now but I think the light output is no brighter than my old H4 with Nightbreaker bulbs, it's just more light thrown forwards. The Nightbreaker Ultimate Plus were the last bulbs I used before switching to LED and they were the best I'd found since using PIAA Xtreme White about 18 years ago.

Lamps with bulbs can be as cheap as £25 a pair. I'd recommend better bulbs though.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-INCH-ROUND-LHD-HEADLIGHT-HALOGEN-CONVERSION-KIT-COMES-WITH-H4-BULB-PILOT/264482860105?hash=item3d94682c49:g:WxMAAOSwictdkgSA

Looks like Nightbreaker Laser are the current brightest they do
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-ALL-AUTOMOTIVE-BULBS-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-HB3-HB4-W5W-WY5W-C5W-D1S-D2S-MORE/163183084604?hash=item25fe78443c:g:Ue0AAOSwuWJatOi8

If a wiring mod hasn't been done to runner better wiring to the headlamps that would increase light output further. I did one before switching to LEDs and went, with engine running and headlamps on, from 11.8V at the headlamps to 13.8V. Light output was significantly better.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Re: Where to get E marked RHD 7" headlamp units with sidelights.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 10:42:19 AM »

Just to add to what was said above...

As far as I'm aware, TJs didn't come with sealed beams in the UK. They would have had round headlights with replaceable H4 bulbs.
The plug to connect a sealed beam is however the same, so it's an easy swap which might explain how it has sealed beams in now.

Our old Ford F100 came over from the US with sealed beams, so I swapped in these lights instead:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-DOMED-LENS-CLASSIC-CAR-SEALED-BEAM-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-HALOGEN-H4-CONVERSION/362094269910?epid=19028141190&hash=item544e8015d6%3Ag%3ARMQAAOSwRplZr%7EAb&LH_ItemCondition=3

It was a direct swap that took about 5 minutes and I've been very pleased with the performance. You can get them with and without an additional bulb for sidelights, and they should be a direct fit in a TJ.

Pages: [1]   Go Up