Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbee and question re KJ Backplates  (Read 2372 times)

Andwil001

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Cherokee 2.8CRD Sport
  • Year: 2006
newbee and question re KJ Backplates
« on: July 12, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »

Hello all..

just joined and have a 2.8CRD Cherokee auto 160hp 55 plate. Hope I have put this in the correct place.
Mechanic has told me the backplates are rusty and interfering with the handbrake efficiency and will require to be replaced before MOT time.
Trawled the internet and looked up a few posts regarding brakes etc....can somebody please tell me that the whole brake assembly does not need to be replaced at extortionate ££'s from dealership!
I have been told the rear end of the car needs to be dismantled and the axles removed to put on new backplates which come already kitted out with the handbrake workings....is this correct?
Cannot find any aftermarket parts for this model but Dorman do a bare split backplate which means at least the axles and diff dont need to be disturbed....although I dont yet know if you can buy these in the UK.
Has anybody been down this path before and how did you resolve it....has anyone used the Dorman part number 924-657....if yes where did you get them and was it on a Cherokee/Liberty with the dual disc/drum rear brakes

Any info appreciated.

Andwil001

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: newbee and question re KJ Backplates
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 01:58:48 PM »

Hi. Welcome to Birty Dastards.

Rockauto is a good place to get stuff from the USA. They have a few different shipping rates available for most things (some with VAT pre-paid instead of having to deal with that), and if you look in the exchange and mart section you will find a 5% discount code.

They only list the dorman backing plates but don't have stock at the moment. You can click a link and they will email when back in stock.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2005,liberty,2.8l+l4+diesel+turbocharged,1431569,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+backing+plate,1628

Andwil001

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 07:55:46 PM »

Hello Jonny Jeep and thank you for your reply and the info regarding imports and discount.

I have left a message with Rockauto to mail me when they next have them in stock.
Be interested to know what other Cherokee/Liberty owners have done in the past also

Andwil001

Andwil001

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »

Hello all again.......

when I entered my vehicle details into Ebay or Amazon etc they said the Dorman 924-657 did not fit my vehicle....I imagined either their database was incorrect or the vehicle options from their drop down menus were different in some way ( two countries divided by a common language etc) so I emailed Dorman technical department.
After checking my VIN they have now replied and have confirmation from Dorman the 924-657 split backplates DO NOT fit my vehicle and they have no other product that will.
This is just to let others know this as the part obviously does fit Cherokee/Liberty but not my particular model/year.

Looks like Chrysler dealership parts at unbelievable prices is the ONLY option unless anybody else has solved this previously?

thanks

Andwil001

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 08:53:28 PM »

When looking at parts in rockauto you can click on the part number I think and it will tell you what vehicles parts will fit. Comparing the same part by various manufacturers you will often find that the lists differ in the models and years they will fit. I think this is due to manufacturers only listing the models and years they have tested the part as fitting.

The reason I bring that up is that what dorman have told you may be wrong. Whoever you dealt with may have just looked at the list they have as fitting and said it won't simply because it's not on the list.

The FSM and parts lists for the 05 KJ only list one axle the corporate 8.25 for all models. Might be worth having a good look at your plates and comparing them to pics of the plates on petrol models on the internet.  I can't be certain, but I've a feeling they'll be the same.

Andwil001

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »

Hello again Jonny Jeep and thanks for the update....you may well be right
I went back to Dorman and asked was there anything uniquely different about my vehicle compared to other Cherokee/Libertys this did fit .....the only reason given for it not fitting my vehicle was it did not match any numbers on the OE list they have!  ... the part might fit but I would always be told it does not?
Will try another avenue and contact dealership to see what part numbers have been used throughout the ages and then try to cross reference myself.
This may be a lengthy process

Andwil001

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »

This is all that's shown in the 05 parts list for the 05 KJ handbrake assembly. the backing plate appears to be only available as part of the entire assembly as indicated by the parts in the boxed area labelled #1.

Andwil001

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »

Hello again.....

unfortunately its looking more and more like the full OE assembly is the ONLY option.

Might have to be an early and expensive Christmas present!

Will update this thread when I have finally exhausted all avenues and eventually shelled out the cash to the dealership.

thanks again

Andwil001

carljh

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 10:07:34 PM »

did some googling of the part number 52128414AB from the FSM parts list, factoryChyrslerParts saying its no longer available, MoparPartsGiant still shows it as available at a very reasonable $549  :icon_eek:

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »

Googling the number without the AB on the end brings up results including on ebay uk. It shows the same number with AC on the end instead which is just an updated part. Looks like the dorman.

The results on ebay include a seller with split plates and they list the 05 diesel as fitting.

As I said earlier there's only one axle listed for ALL models. The only difference I saw with the braking system at the rear is a bracket that looks to be mounted on the frame anyway so nothing to do with the actual axle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeep-XJ-TJ-Brake-Rear-Back-Plates-Dust-Shield-52128414AC-Axle-Set/333394130322?hash=item4d9fd6b592:g:O1IAAOSw0ThdyWl2

Andwil001

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »

Hello Jonny Jeep..... thank you very much for your info/help. I have to agree the plates you found on ebay do look like the Dorman parts ......which Dorman say dont fit my car even after checking the vehicle VIN! But do look like the backplates that are on the car.

Basically I was not prepared to pay IRO £300 for something that may not fit.

after much head scratching my mechanic has come up with a solution which I have not yet seen but is apparently working....he was talking about welding etc so must have been inventive!
when I get the vehicle back I will try to see what has been done and take photos.
in the meantime I had bought a couple of Cherokee ( grand cherokee?) backplates off ebay... part 15628201..... which although they look entirely different were only £45 so I thought they may be able to be cut up/modified in some way...however the mechanic said they were no good so did not use them ....
I therefore now have a pair of genuine Jeep backplates if anybody needs them.... I will even post them on for free if it will help somebody.

thanks again
Andwil001
Pages: [1]   Go Up