Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2.7CRD injector retaining bolts  (Read 2112 times)

DarthLowen

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD
  • Year: 2002
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2.7CRD injector retaining bolts
« on: July 18, 2020, 06:27:15 PM »

Hi guys,

I decided to join the forum since I learned SOOOooo much here regarding replacing diesel fuel injectors on a 2002 WJ. So I decided to purchase refurbished injectors from PF Jones, received them in perfect order. Decided to get an injector puller (turns out I didn't need it, all injectors came out without a hassle!), new retainer bolts, etc.

I read both the official workshop manual (engine removal procedure) AND this forum and decided to go for the two 60mm holes in the metal plate above the 2 injectors. First surprise there was that the wiper-bracket was EXACTLY positioned above injector nr 5...DOH (see picture)! I decided to cut the bracket out and I will weld it back in afterwards, this isn't a critical part and I'm not bad with a welder, so... Anyway, first question of the day, is this different on right-hand drive cars? I remember seeing some pictures on this forum and I don't remember reading about this? I have a left-hand drive car (I live in Belgium).

Anyway, successfully cut the bracket away, cut two 60mm holes, got the injectors out (boy they were greasy!), vacuumed the engine bay, cleaned the holes and started reassembly. The first injector I installed, I couldn't get the retaining bolt threads to engage, some dirt fell down the hole, so I cleaned it. Next injector I installed, I cleaned both the injector and bolt holes, however the bolt was still very hard to drive home. This is true for all other injector retaining bolts. My main question is this: how can I decently clean these bolt holes? On some bolts, I already need more than the 7Nm to get them to engage with the locking clamp!

Your input is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Nic.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2.7CRD injector retaining bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 06:41:47 AM »

You could try a tapered tap of the correct size...run it in and out a couple of times and it will remove any gunk. With a bit of fettling, you can adapt a short length of plastic tube to your vacuum cleaner nozzle to insert into each hole and remove the crud which may have fallen in.

Worked for me, more than once.

DarthLowen

• Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD
  • Year: 2002
Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2.7CRD injector retaining bolts
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 04:12:47 PM »

Hi bgbazz,

I did plan to chase the threads with a tap, and although I do have one, the shaft of the tap is wider than the tap itself, as well as not long enough to reach into the hole. I decided to take one of the old retaining bolts and grind 2 cutting edges in it, so it would act like a tap. This worked very well.

great idea with the vacuum, tried it and it worked great. I got all the bolts to tighten correctly, thanks!

HOWEVER, my troubles aren't over yet, check out my new post...ugh... :icon_rolleyes::
http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=30081

Cheers,
Nic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up