Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2.7CRD bubbling around injector  (Read 3639 times)

DarthLowen

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD
  • Year: 2002
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2.7CRD bubbling around injector
« on: July 19, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »

Hi Gang,

I just replaced the injectors on my 2002 Jeep, I was able to correctly tighten them thanks to the help from bgbazz (see my topic http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=30080). After a test run I didn't find any diesel leaks, so I decided to test drive the car, get some speed on the highway. I must say that it runs much smoother than before and it felt like it had a lot of power, however I haven't driven this car when it was new, so I don't know what is 'standard'.

After the test drive I decided to take a look under the hood and I was quite unpleasantly surprised to see diesel splashing around injector 4 (see video: )

My current theory is that debris must have fallen down the hole when putting the injector in and that it's not correctly sealing and/or I didn't sufficiently clean the recess before putting in the new injector. But before I buy new retaining bolts and seal rings, I wanted to check with you all.

Also, what do you guys think of the spec on the retaining bolt, 7Nm is sooooo little! That 90 degrees will sure tighten it up, but really, is that enough?

Any ideas/help appreciated!

Cheers,
Nic.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2.7CRD bubbling around injector
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 07:49:37 AM »

Me again...a couple of things here. Pop the injector out again and have a real close look at the seat...you wouldn't be the first person to leave the original seal behind when it was first removed and with the gunk down there, can be hard to notice. As far as a new seal is concerned, a decent copper washer of the correct size should be all that is needed...I would use the same new bolts you put in the other day.
While the 7Nm plus the extra 90 degree nip up does sound odd, but that's what is listed, but it is very important that this is done while the motor is completely cold.

Might sound like I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs, but I'm not.   :icon_winkle: :icon_winkle:

DarthLowen

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:12:44 PM »

Thanks bgbazz...again :icon_biggrin:

I've ordered the bolts anyway (better safe than sorry, right? And they're really cheap...), and I do recall taking out 5 copper washers (cylinders 1-4 had the washer still on the injector, I had to do some fishing on cyl. 5), so probably just gunk... Tips on how to decently clean are welcome. I hope I don't need to lap them with lapping compound? (because, how do you keep it out of the cylinder!?). I've cleaned them previously with a piece of cloth wrapped around a spiral brush (one from a paint-gun cleaning kit), soaked in degreaser/brake cleaner.

I'll take it out again as soon as the bolts arrive (it was a set together with 5 washer, how handy!), how stupid that I have to remove the windshield wiper assembly again, not designed for serviceability, that's for sure! Anyway, glad I went with the hole saw solution. And glad it's "only" cyl 4, if it was cyl 5, I would've had to cut the windshield-wiper bracket out again and weld it back in... :banghead:

PS: don't ever shop at an online store that uses GLS as a delivery service...it already took them 3 days to transport it from Germany to Belgium. I mean...in this day and age, really???

DarthLowen

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 05:50:22 PM »

Well, taking it out and cleaning it solved the problem!
:ace:
(Bumblebee tuna!)

Up to the next issues!

Just fyi those are:
  • replace front suspension ball joints
  • figure out what's wrong with the airbag dash light
  • find the airconditioner leak

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 07:12:56 PM »

Well done...I knew you were on the right track!  :icon_super:

Ball joint job is pretty straightforward...usually harder to find the new ones than doing the job. I got all mine from Jeepey, but that was a few years ago.

Airbag lights are just a big PITA! If yours has the bags on the front seats, a good place to start is the connections under both seats. Clear the faults first, disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes, give all those underseat wires a good check over and a wiggle while you're waiting. Hook up the battery and see what you get. Just make sure you have your radio code handy.  :icon_winkle:

AC leak I can't help with...check every hose, line and joint and if they are completely dry it's time to call for outside help. Pay special attention to the compressor...leaks can occur in funny places on them and are often hard to spot.

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 08:04:41 AM »

ac problem, is likely to be the condenser rotted out at the bottom
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

DarthLowen

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 07:35:11 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, I read about the seat already, and yep...now googling how to retrieve the radio code (already disconnected the battery when replacing the injectors). For added difficulty, I swapped the radio a few years ago...

I ordered the ball joints from rock-auto (rockauto.com), I've always used this site for my '65 Mustang. They're quite cheap on parts, but there's the import tax stuff of course. Now let's just hope that a US 4L Grand Cherokee has the same suspension as a 2.7CRD  :icon_rolleyes:

I'm not an AC expert myself, but I know the 'experts' fill the system with some UV-detectable liquid/gas. So doing my homework on that right now... Maybe just cheaper to get a service station to do that and do the leak detecting myself. I'll see...

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 08:17:18 PM »

Keep going mate...you're on the right track.  :icon_super:
Pages: [1]   Go Up