Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amc 360 HEI gear position.  (Read 2213 times)

djrr6

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7 AMC 360 5 gear wobbly thing
  • Year: 1981
Amc 360 HEI gear position.
« on: October 03, 2020, 04:54:57 PM »

Odd one.

Has anyone re drilled the hole position for the gear drive on a new HEI dizzy.

Swapped out to a new HEI and knowing what a nightmare new gears are to shred cam gears I wanted to swap my old dizzy gear on to it.

When I’ve lined up the old gear on the new dizzy the hole on my original gear is approx 4mm lower than the new dizzy hole.

The gear that comes with the HEI has the pin hole almost directly under the gear itself so the pin won’t line up.

My question is

Firstly has anyone drilled 90 degrees across the dizzy shaft to reset to the correct hole position? I believe the shaft would be ok but obviously weakened. 

Or more obvious I guess, has anyone come across this before with the dizzy changes they have done?

I’ve looked at buying new dizzy with pin hole in correct place but struggling at the mo as can’t seem to get pictures accurate enough and think potentially DUI may work but not 100% convinced.
Sorry it won’t let me post pics on I phone?!?

Help !!!!

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Re: Amc 360 HEI gear position.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:03:48 AM »

Would it be possible to replace the gear on the camshaft instead, so you have a new matching pair? I know it's more work as the timing cover would have to come off, but might be an option.

I've just had a quick look over on IFSJA and it looks like others have had similar issues: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=160647

djrr6

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7 AMC 360 5 gear wobbly thing
  • Year: 1981
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:11:45 PM »

Would it be possible to replace the gear on the camshaft instead, so you have a new matching pair? I know it's more work as the timing cover would have to come off, but might be an option.

I've just had a quick look over on IFSJA and it looks like others have had similar issues: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=160647
Yeah I looked at swapping both out as a pair but the same issue applies as even if I buy the new pair then I need to get a gear that actually fits in the correct hole position on the dizzy as well.

At the moment it seems most gears that come with Dizzy have the hole very close to the gear whereas not seen any paired gears with the holes in the lower position.

Driven mental!!!

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 05:42:34 PM »

how would cross drilling the shaft weaken it?  there is no load being forced through the shaft due to the rotor free spinning and no resistance seen.

if it was a steering or a driven shaft then i would totally understand

cant you use the original dizzy and swap the HEI unit to the original shaft like the dizzy upgrade to F150 on a 6cylinder cj engine
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up