Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cherokee XJ Crew cab  (Read 53958 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: Cherokee XJ Crew cab
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »

Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »

On the intact unibody, the roof forms the top of a structural box section, so the floor generally under tension and the roof is under compression, the structure is stiff enough to resist deforming under the stresses of driving and the load placed inside. Cut the rear half of the roof away and the compressive forces are taken along the waistline of the rear of the Jeep and concentrated half way up the B pillar. This is likeley to deform, with only the closed front doors to keep it in place.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »

still looks good

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »

no one is complaining about the looks as it does look very nice, i might even do it to mine if the opertunity arises, but it body strength can be overlooked when a project like this takes it shape.

a convertable car weighs the same as a normal car with a roof mainly due to the additional bracing that is needed
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 10:14:31 PM »

The O/P has gone quiet!

:017:

original poster?

convertibles are generally heavier than their  normal stablemate due to the  roof mechanism  weighs  more and with the additional bracing thats needed, they are still jelly on a plate tho!

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »

this thread is getting quite amusing now, i hope GJ hasn't been put out and afraid of being shot down. due to the posts on structual integrity of jeeps
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »

i think the fun has been lost from this thread i dont for a moment think green jeep has not considered adding some stiffness back

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »

The O/P has gone quiet!

:017:

original poster?

makes sense, best i could come up with was officious prick but couldnt work out which one of you lot it was aimed at  :003:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

grayspeed

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »

I've seen it climbing a particularly "gnarly" green lane and it didn't fold in half at the top, still looked really rancho relaxo!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 04:45:55 AM »

cool

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Green Jeep

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »

Hi,

Many thanks for everyones input... few things to consider... Rear doors welded up, this adds a lot of strength, the B pillar is now massive and very strong, The back plate is thick heavy steel. Rear doors also have large angle welded to each other (across the width of the Jeep) this is welded to the bottom part of the steel plates that we put in, medium size angle at the top with braces to the roof making the whole thing very strong and replacing the lost strength mentioned in the earlier post about forces on the rear door area...

The rear of the roof section has also been strengthened, we did this as we need to be able to walk over the Jeep in tight lanes

If needed we could add more strength by putting braces from the wheel arch to the top of the roof section, we could also weld up more of the rear door gaps... we did do some testing though...

Plus as Grayspeed says we've laned it in tough lanes, nothing has changed, door gaps and doors opening and closing all the same.

As discussed XJ's are designed to flex and the original roof is pretty weak, of course the pillars are where the strength is... This Jeep owes me £125, if I drag it on to the weigh bridge I'll get that for it... (ie) free Jeep.

Couple of questions: what does the Jeep Comanche MJ (Cherokee pick up) have that is different to the normal XJ? I'm pretty sure the two door XJ doesn't have any extra strength and is known to flex a little more with no ill effects?

Many years ago we took the entire roof of a Granada estate, welded the doors up and welded steel tube (old metal five bar gate) around the tops of the doors... we actually made it too strong and it was pretty hairy at speed over pot holes... so you defo need a little flex...

Sorry for the delay in answering, been away from the computer, the work has all been done by a professional welder with excellent high power welders and plasma cutters etc and advice taken from two qualified panel beaters, as it stands we feel we have added strength to it, we've tested it, no probs and if we need to we can add more strength, so nope I am not in anyway upset, as stated we did all of this work in just one day (8 hours inc breaks) we always have the option of adding more, will keep you all informed, thanks again Maf

PS couple more pics for you...

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »

i think at the very least it is the ideal test bed for the next uk pickup xj

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Green Jeep

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »

i think at the very least it is the ideal test bed for the next uk pickup xj

haha, thanks, yeah and you can trust us we'll test it good, we love the tougher lanes... might even do some punch hunts it I don't get time to fix my YJ...

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »

The 2 door XJ has longer doors (the MJ has the same short doors a the 4 door) and the long one piece rear quater panels, the wheelbase is the same and everything else is pretty much the same as the 4 door. the MJ has a heavy box section rear chassis linked into the cab which is based on the front panels from the XJ unibody. The bed is seperate as on a pickup with a full chassis.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 07:28:16 PM »

i like mjs they be smart

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »

I think that's a good job and you can always add a bit more reinforcing if things start to deform. Nice work  :icon_super:

P.S. for £125 Jeep, if VOSA or the blue lights want to inspect it just give them the keys and walk away  :003:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »

i wouldent worry there are loads of hacked bobed chopped and brutalised landys rangeys for them to look at first

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »

i wouldent worry there are loads of hacked bobed chopped and brutalised landys rangeys for them to look at first

nah they are all on fleabay aren't they?

momos

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 08:44:47 PM »

i dont know anything 'bout these, but I like it, did anyone see this...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-headlights-614668/

added security?  :greggmo:

Green Jeep

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »

The 2 door XJ has longer doors (the MJ has the same short doors a the 4 door) and the long one piece rear quater panels, the wheelbase is the same and everything else is pretty much the same as the 4 door. the MJ has a heavy box section rear chassis linked into the cab which is based on the front panels from the XJ unibody. The bed is seperate as on a pickup with a full chassis.

Excellent info, many thanks... I'd really like an MJ... lucky I'm going walk about in Canada and the states later this year...

Nice bashing on the LR's guys, I get a fair about of bunny as there aren't many Jeep drivers here in the south west... I've done my LR time, never again, ever, never, I hope that's clear...

£125 Jeep... they're still not gunna take it off me... haha... just bought another Cherokee for £150 with T&T happy days, makes for cheap motorin and we chew through a few bits, lights, glass etc....  :icon_super:

and that the fun is back in this post as per early comment? Happy days...

PS don't forget anyone wanting to do lanes here in Devon & Cornwall, get in touch, some great stuff... we have the ultimate lane to crack soon and yes we are using a Cherokee  :icon_super:

Bishops Finger

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »

Maf...you always bounce back with a considered west country response...fair play to you mon :icon_biggrin:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »

Green Jeep

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »

Maf...you always bounce back with a considered west country response...fair play to you mon :icon_biggrin:

Yeah lifes to short to get angry, lose it, stuff like that... it's pretty chilled down here, I'm from Middleton near Manchester originally, also worked in the Midlands and a couple of years in mainland Europe, all happy days...

I really want a Comanche now... haha

What more do we know on that racing one, that's proper mad,  :icon_super:

Bishops Finger

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »

Yup..

Maybe if down in Kernow this year plan some lanes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up