Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cherokee Chief Build  (Read 25751 times)

Alucardtnuoc

Re: Cherokee Chief Build
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2010, 08:59:04 PM »

Not much photo-worthy tonight I am afraid, just sandblasted the shackles, engine mounts, shock towers and metal prepped them so they do not flash rust.
I priced up getting the frame dipped and media blasted, £200.00, so am going to do a test run on a section of it tomorrow to see if it would be worth the saved time.... I would prefer to do it myself, it would cost about £20.00 in sand, but the time it takes with my little sand blaster.....

I am planning on painting the frame, suspension, brackets etc with the POR-15 rust preventative paint, undercoating it, the topcoating with Extreme Chassis Black. I have used POR-15 products before, and in my opinion, there are none better.

I welcome suggestions as to what others have used?

Got to start rubbing the wings down sometime this week so I can prep them to pull molds from. Still waiting for word on some doors.......

Bonnet has been panelbeaten and POR-15'ed a while back. That rust preventative paint is awesome. Dries like rock. I like it.

I have sourced most bits and bobs I need from the States, like door rubbers etc, just got to buy in slowly so the contingency fund is not wiped out all at once...  :hysterical:

Laters Dudes.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »

sounds like I shoulda used POR-15 on my bonnet instead of truck bed liner, maybe next time
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Nosebolt

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »

sounds like I shoulda listened to every one else and used something like POR-15 on my bonnet instead of truck bed liner, maybe next time I might even spray it instead of using a roller

fixed :hysterical:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »

have u ever stopped to consider reasons why spray rhymes with ghay  :eusa_naughty:

I rest my case m'lud
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »

what's goin on the Vlad? What u done today? Dont go tellin us that u have gone a day without doin what most doods do in a month (or a few years in some notable cases)

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:37 PM »

:hysterical: You know all those really horrible little jobs that take ages to do? Usually right at the end when you just want it to get finished? Well, I am doing those bits first...... Cleaning up all the sodding little things now.

[attachment=1]

Finally figured out how to use the Dial Bore Guage..... Measuring up tomorrow so I can order the right pistons......

ferretjuggler

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2010, 03:55:36 PM »

All looking good so far.
Are you planning to lift it/fit oversize wheels or you gonna restore it to standard looking?

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »

Defo going to do a shackle flip on the rear, and like the coilover setup for the front. I have been looking at loads of kits, and am sure I can fabricate something myself when the time comes..... just got one hell of a lot of rust removal and cleaning before I think about it too much.... Has anyone else got any Chiefs running? With lift? Standard? How abouts some piccys?

I know there are a few about, but I would like to see some pictures!

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »

couple of mine on the link below, just four from the day I picked it up, will have to sort out some decent ones now its mot'd and moving, its all stock:

http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2;u=1190

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »

More cleaning and De-rusting done today.... slow progress getting all these bit clean.....

[attachment=1][attachment=2]

Waiting for frosts POR-15 to arrive.... then I can paint something!

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »

Found some POR-15 in my paint cupboard! These parts will NEVER rust again!

[attachment=1][attachment=2][attachment=3]

Thats it for today I think..... Hungover from last night.....

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »

Cleaning up the Axles now.....

From this:

To this:

[attachment=3]

Getting there..... POR-15 arriving soon, along with some extreme Chassis Black.....
Once all the brackets and stuff are painted up, I can forget about them and REALLY start moving on the body....

No one got any ideas where I can get 2 doors from???

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2010, 06:21:39 PM »

Post up in the wanted, there are a few on here with waggys and chiefs lurkin in dark corners

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »

you mean there are a few on here that will never turn a wheel so might be sold as spares
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »

ooooh i would never be so harsh Dave

but u may have gleaned a nugget of truth there  :003:

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »

Long time since I posted anything in this thread, so here goes for a new quessing game.... can anybody tell me what this is going to be??

[attachment=1]

Nosebolt

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »

looks like a mould pattern, but for what? pos a grill or headlight trims? or maby speaker pods?

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »

i give up already

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2010, 06:10:11 PM »

They are going to be part of the grill structure. Not structural, so will be bonded to the uprights that hold the radiator, and the inside mudguard/fender will bolt to them.

[attachment=1]

Filled the inside of the lower front valance, so I can fill in the holes where I drilled out the spot welds, then I will smooth everything over and take a mold.

[attachment=2][attachment=3]

Will do the same thing on the front valance/grill structure, and pull a mold of that too. Look how rusty it is!

[attachment=4][attachment=5]

Will start work on the wings later in the week, but not sure weather to mold them with the wheel arch flare, or do that separately.

Nosebolt

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2010, 06:38:19 PM »

do em separate, OK more work, but you will have more options, arches can be replaced easier if broken (not whole wing) and as a bonus you will have a more rigid wing with the arch fitted/bonded as a separate item

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:15 PM »

Hi-Build primer test 1. Need to get a smoothish surface to start with, and had this primer from another job, so covered the valance, wait for it to dry and hit it with the DA sander. Hopefully it will fill in most of the rust pits. Then prime, board up and pull a mould. Or mold? Should be able to do a single piece mold with no part lines as this piece was originally pressed, so no overhanging angles.

On a side note, anyone with FSJ's that need the parts I am making, let me know.

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2010, 05:51:28 PM »

I think it is smooth enough now..... sanding is such a pain in it. Got no fingertips left.....

Alucardtnuoc

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »

Sanding, filling, sanding, filling and then some more sanding. But if I do a good enough job, maybe I will be able to flog some bits....

[attachment=1][attachment=2][attachment=3]

I started on the fender flares too, taping them up to fill the back to get a nice surface on the front. These are really rotten on the join.

[attachment=4]

Slow and uninteresting progress, but I thought I would share my dull and uninteresting life with you lot. Laters!  :jump_125:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »

I still dont know who is gonna do my J20 biiiiiiiiiig flares

ferretjuggler

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »

Well I'm still planning on making mine out of GRP.
But as I've never ever laminated anything yet, I'm gonna be on a learning curve here.

I tell you what Ade, being as we're both on the same skill level here, why don't ya get your hands dirty and invest in a GRP kit yourself?????

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up