Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: i want to fit 38" tyres to my yj wrangler  (Read 9310 times)

challengejeep

Re: i want to fit 38" tyres to my yj wrangler
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »

i idnt know about the early 300 tdi not requiring an ecu, but i had the 200 so thats why i used it .. i can take a ribbing, bit of banter is good for the soul lol ... i am gonna run 35" simex for challenging, lots of comps are banning portals, and tyres over 35", less damage to the ground,, but i am gonna run 38" badger claws or something similar for laneing and triangle vert etc ...will post some pics next weekend, over the workshop on saturday, but if i passing earlier i will stop in and take some ..

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »

the mod would not use the ecu 300 had some and reterned them for re engine to non ecu   no idea what they  do now

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Green Jeep

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 08:04:22 AM »

i idnt know about the early 300 tdi not requiring an ecu, but i had the 200 so thats why i used it .. i can take a ribbing, bit of banter is good for the soul lol ... i am gonna run 35" simex for challenging, lots of comps are banning portals, and tyres over 35", less damage to the ground,, but i am gonna run 38" badger claws or something similar for laneing and triangle vert etc ...will post some pics next weekend, over the workshop on saturday, but if i passing earlier i will stop in and take some ..

Good man, I went for 34" Super Swampers over Simex, supply problems of Simex and reviews pointed towards them, I'd suggest looking at Maxxis creepy crawlers, lots of sizes to choose from, have seen them perform.... awesome... also Fedima's... they are listed as 35" but are actually 36.5"... most comps allow them as listed as 35"...

This site is excellent for tyre info.... http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Maxxis_Creepy_Crawler.htm

Think 300tdi was made more ecomical... power etc all the same (I think) certainly the R380 gearbox was made to be that way... sadly they didn't test it properly and many had problems, hope all this helps, cheers Maf

challengejeep

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »

thanks for your advice mate, it helps loads but i will stick with the 2ootdi as i already have one lol ..
i will try and stick with the simex as there advertised size is fairly accurate,, some of the comps i do you have to drive your tyres under a gauge to check that they are no bigger than 35" regardless of what they say on the tyre wall ... probably insurance and health and safety sticking it where itdont belong lol ..... jay

cleggy

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »

You want some thing like this.Cleggy

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »

aren't there other engines that are just as good or better.

the landy engine is realy unrefined and noisey that's before you geat deafened by the gearbox whine. used to r&d on them so you can understand the noise objection.
 did you ever consider using a perkins as the 4bt and 6bt are good lumps for torque, the vw t4 5 cylinder is a good power horse by might not be inclinded to constant mud and water immersion due to the electrics.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

doublej

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »

it will also become terrible off roading and more likely to flip over backwards when climbing cos your wheelbase is to short.
yup but he will need to move both front and rear to make it stable enough I would have thought

will you please stop typing and go do more reading or driving cause neither of those comments make any sence

you can fit the 38s with no lift mate and without moving the axles, but youll be riding the bumps more than i think you want and like isle said youll have todo some cutting but not as much as you think.

what events are you guys doing? i really miss doing events with kingcj. running around like a dumb monkey was fun.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »

Just my opinion doubleJ. I ain't seen a pic of a yj on 38's with no lift and no increase in wheelbase, and I personally wouldn't do it.

doublej

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »

Just my opinion doubleJ. I ain't seen a pic of a yj on 38's with no lift and no increase in wheelbase, and I personally wouldn't do it.

but you didnt state an opinion... you said it would be crap offroad and kill someone basicly. which is complete and utter lies. look at what the guys in the states are doing all the time for the past 5 years or so. the tires are getting bigger and bigger and lifts (if any) are getting lower and lower.
I am by no means saying stretching the wheelbase wouldn't add to the abilities of the jeep. I started out with 127 wheelbase when i started wheeling over here. and I CAN NOT STAND less than 100, it makes me feel like im going to fall over... but thats me and the width of the rig adds alot to that also.
A stock jeep, with hi-line front fenders and some cutting on the rear fender openings can fit the tires. Hell there is more than one company that sells new wheel wells for the YJ so you can fit 40s if i remember.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »

I don't remember saying it would kill anyone, what I could see on short steep climbs the possibility of it rolling over backwards, we have all seen that vid of the cherry doing it.
I know whats happeneing in the states but we all haven't got access to the wonderful stuff you guys can get for pennies over here, it generally costs us mega bucks
If its a stock jeep with high line fenders,cut back arches, inner wheel arches etc I don't think you can really call it stock.
I guess we all have different ideas on whats safe and whats not,not everyone is a hardcore off roader.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

Oh yes......... I know what front tyres off the ground feels like.......... BAD............

I've wheeled with JJ at Clyro Cheapfest and Kirton.......... he's seen me (probably) off camber and front in air............

Personally I am at standard wheelbase with 4and half lift and 35s...............and  I do think that I am in danger of flipping it on regular occasions.
I know cos the front comes up............and gets air :jpshakehead:

JP that well known bible of things I wish I had or could do has a YJ 'no lift' on 40's......... It can be done cheap if ya got fabbin' skills.

Me ........ come the winter the front axle is going forward 2 to 3 inches and the rear shackle mounts are going where the new bumper, rear winch
mount lives to give 6 inches rear move of the axle..... Maybe 102" of wheelbase by then!! :icon_super:

I am stickin to 35s for the moment as the gearing axle strength and lack of funds mean its the sensible route.............

J20 axles (I know I've said this before!!) and I can go to 38s or maybe 40's but the vehicle will cease to be viable on the road by then......
So that is a whole new world of pain.......... :icon_twisted:

doublej

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »

lets do some quick math, shall we..... yes the dumb US redneck is doing math - watch out
you say 38 and no lift is unstable.....
38 is 8in over stock tires so you are basicly getting 4in lift out of them, which is also your basic lift that most people first buy. a simple short arm 4in lift. so your saying that any 4in lifted jeep on stock tires is unstable untill he lengthens the wheelbase??
thats the math - there is no difference mate. if its a damn good lift giving you more articulation its not going to really help much on hill climbs to where you roll over backwards.

last i checked hi lined fenders were free, and as for all the other goodies, they make them for landrovers over here, if you hate us for having them go buy a landrover or make them yourself. im glad that i make so much money and sourcing parts for 3 years is equal to them costing me pennies.

and if you wanna get picky on whats stock and whats not then you cant say that a no lift jeep on 38 is stock cause stock they come on smaller tires. ohhhhhh no

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »

Nothing to see here move on!!!!

H.A.P.P.Y I know I am I'm sure I am I'm H.A.P.P.Y
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »

i realy like the no lift concept or low lift  if i had a cj7 i might try it but for now i am happy to not cut my old iron

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »

I want to cut the GUT'S from old faithful - the reverse of a "push up bra" Waggers will appreciate that!!!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »

i will follow with great interest

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

doublej

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »

i am always happy IOM or maybe ive just sent too many months in the sandbox and am now having flashbacks....

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 07:37:39 PM »

i hope things went ok out there for you and ya mates

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »

i am always happy IOM or maybe ive just sent too many months in the sandbox and am now having flashbacks....

I can fully appreciate that had some distant experience back when Maggie was in power service# 24810225 I was only in logistics.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »

mmmnnn I guess this is all down to .....if ya been doing it long enough you want to move the goal posts/boundaries........ :icon_twisted:

What do I mean..well its like this I started with a road going 'I don't want to dent it' 18month old Jeep back in 95............

It stayed a road going dent free Jeep till 3 years ago....... 35s and I don't know what but I took different lines and just trashed more.........

Now I can only see one way forward...... King CJ / Double J....... But being 'Old Skule'  and a listener of the Grateful Dead I am going to keep it old skule .......... Cos I can........ Cos I want to......... Cos I'm mad.......Yup. I'm gonna try to keep it 'street legal' for various sites! But I guess it will become a 'trailer queen' pretty quickly :icon_super:

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »

Keeping it road legal SUCKS!!!

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 08:31:09 PM »

not as much a pullin a trailer around behind ya
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

doublej

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 08:33:47 PM »

it only sucks cause its harder and makes you think more, the tj will be road legal but till i build hybrid axles to help with the portal gearing. i dont think big tires on the street would be so bad as long as they arent crazy muds... gotta be better then old hotrods with skinys

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »

it only sucks cause its harder and makes you think more, the tj will be road legal but till i build hybrid axles to help with the portal gearing. i dont think big tires on the street would be so bad as long as they arent crazy muds... gotta be better then old hotrods with skinys

Man **stands on soap box** when the Mafia (manly SILVER wrangler) was in concept first was to keep it road legal - now four years and three test from police request later I have decided to move on - Waggers STILL shits himself (he will not admit that but I see his face) when he rides shotgun the reason for this!!! FLEX simply the delay from steering and turning is shall we say delayed I'm kinda used to this but Waggers still has his reservations - for me now trailer queen is the answer  - I say to others that are going through the MENoPAUSE the light brings much wisdom ** off soap box**  happy KARMA.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »

if you want to play plenty hard and it breaks  that trailer must look like a patch of heaven ...............when kharma makes me comfortably well of it will be a suburban and a trailer on my drive next to the froader

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up