Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: i want to fit 38" tyres to my yj wrangler  (Read 9313 times)

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
Re: i want to fit 38" tyres to my yj wrangler
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »

Trailer is the answer....Gaz will drive home.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »

gaz truck     or  mr clean gaz

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »

gaz truck     or  mr clean gaz

What is the difference???  Mr Sheen is Mr Sheen and he keeps most things KLEEN.

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »

Moi ?  :greggmo:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Green Jeep

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2010, 07:15:16 PM »

thanks for your advice mate, it helps loads but i will stick with the 2ootdi as i already have one lol ..
i will try and stick with the simex as there advertised size is fairly accurate,, some of the comps i do you have to drive your tyres under a gauge to check that they are no bigger than 35" regardless of what they say on the tyre wall ... probably insurance and health and safety sticking it where itdont belong lol ..... jay

Hi Jay,

Swampers/any Interco tyre really are bang on the sizes.... Fedima's when running low pressures will sneak in under 35", (I take it your gunna run beadlockers?) A lot of the challenge boys run the Fedima's, but they are a remould, so personnally I wouldn't, Swampers are awesome, but I wish I'd known about Maxxis creppy crawlers a few years ago...

Good luck with it all, cheers Maf

PS Have a good luck at the chassis where the steering box fits... when YJ's are lifted this area is under strain and can fail... something due to the RHD conversion that was done here.....

challengejeep

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »

cheers maf, so much blah blah blah been posted on this thread it was not worth reading lol ,,, i have converted mine back to left hand drive, using a range rover steering box mounted on the outside of the chassis, with the full width d44 there is plenty of room, which then allows me to mount the hydraulic pump straight of the bottom pulley / crank via a small purpose built propshaft ...  i am gonna run beadlocks altho not to sure what the best wheels would be to use, i would really like some like the old mach 5 wheels .... cheers mate ... jay

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »

Weird this thread should come up again ....... Just been measuring up for steel to do the 38s and 6" either end this Dec.

This is what I am using as a template but staying Spring under and will have to have more tyre coverage. Mines LHD (as it should be :icon_twisted:)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/front-frame-extension-525699/index3.html

Green Jeep

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »

cheers maf, so much blah blah blah been posted on this thread it was not worth reading lol ,,, i have converted mine back to left hand drive, using a range rover steering box mounted on the outside of the chassis, with the full width d44 there is plenty of room, which then allows me to mount the hydraulic pump straight of the bottom pulley / crank via a small purpose built propshaft ...  i am gonna run beadlocks altho not to sure what the best wheels would be to use, i would really like some like the old mach 5 wheels .... cheers mate ... jay

Hi Jay,

All sounds good, you can also get a steering brace for LHD Wranglers, may help give more strength...

I've recently had these beadlockers fitted on to Jeep rims...

Cheers Maf

Tank

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »

thanks for your advice mate, it helps loads but i will stick with the 2ootdi as i already have one lol ..
i will try and stick with the simex as there advertised size is fairly accurate,, some of the comps i do you have to drive your tyres under a gauge to check that they are no bigger than 35" regardless of what they say on the tyre wall ... probably insurance and health and safety sticking it where itdont belong lol ..... jay

Hi Jay,

Swampers/any Interco tyre really are bang on the sizes.... Fedima's when running low pressures will sneak in under 35", (I take it your gunna run beadlockers?) A lot of the challenge boys run the Fedima's, but they are a remould, so personnally I wouldn't, Swampers are awesome, but I wish I'd known about Maxxis creppy crawlers a few years ago...

Good luck with it all, cheers Maf

PS Have a good luck at the chassis where the steering box fits... when YJ's are lifted this area is under strain and can fail... something due to the RHD conversion that was done here.....

My Maxxis Mudzillas now measure only around 33 inches tall even though they are 35`s,with 13mm of tread left,Simex 35`s with 18mm of tread left measure about 34.5 inches tall

Green Jeep

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »

My Maxxis Mudzillas now measure only around 33 inches tall even though they are 35`s,with 13mm of tread left,Simex 35`s with 18mm of tread left measure about 34.5 inches tall

Yeah I had an issue with my 31" Buckshots not measuring as much as they should, where as my 235/85R16 Buckshots measure as they should be (31" in old money). I do run low pressure though, maybe some tyres are better at retaining their size on lower pressures than others? Radial/Bias maybe makes a difference?

Cheers Maf

Nosebolt

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »

this may be a silly question but sure it makes a difference, do you measure with the weight of the car on the wheel/tyre or with the wheel off the car and layed flat?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »

I think....? It must be with no weight on wheel to give true diameter (height).
Cos with 10psi in my BFGs I am sure they would be more like 31s when squidged and then measured from top to bottom. not the 35ish that they once were, before wear.

Green Jeep

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2010, 10:00:30 PM »

I guess if you have them on the Jeep at 40psi (haha) then they would measure taller....

I wonder of there is a 'standard test' that the tyres are measured at for the OD?

The example I can give is when filters are tested for how long they last the dirt is actually made to a specification so that the test is across the board and they can work out how many miles/km's a filter can last and therefore change the media (paper) to adjust hence why filters are now lasting 20,000 miles....

doublej

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »

if you hunt around the web enough youll find posts on different forums about tire sizing. most dont measure what they say they are, and few ( mostly over 40in) measure bigger. i have always just figured an inch shorter for what i want.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up