Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 96 4.0 Cherokee Starting problems  (Read 1023 times)

snoopyjon

96 4.0 Cherokee Starting problems
« on: September 18, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »

Hi all,

Before I SORN'd the Jeep for the Summer I was having problems where when cold the Jeep fired up (all be it a little laboured) without too much of a problem.  But when warm nothing seemed to want to turn it over.

I just taxed the beast ready for the winter mud fun, and bought a new Numax battery (direct Jeep replacement so I was told) which I put on this afternoon.  I fired her up with no problem at all, good considering she's been sat for a few months.

I took her for a spin round the block, left the engine running for about 40 minutes in all, letting her get nice and warm.  Got home, decided to see if the old battery really had been duff, switched off, left it 10 seconds and tried to fire her up again and have exactly the same issue... :-(

Therefore I now think I've one of three issues:

1.  Knackered starter
2.  Knackered alternator
3.  Dead short somewhere

Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so what did you do to sort it?  I have no idea how to confirm or deny which of these three problems it may be, so am looking for advice on which order to try, and if anyone has any idea how I go about testing these...?  I have a spare starter, and a spare alternator (I think - Jeep came with about 6 boxes of spares) - so if it is likely to be one of these, how difficult are they to replace...?

Thanks in advance folks,

Jon.

warp

Re: 96 4.0 Cherokee Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »

if your engine starts al be it a bit rough when cold (I'm presuming this has happened a few times) then i would think your starter motor is ok, but worth checking there's no loose electrical connections and the cables are ok

If it doesn't start at random intervals it could be the Parking sensor, google it there's lot's of web pages showing how to service them or try staring it in neutral

Found this on the web sounds similar to your prob

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/no-hot-start-without-starting-fluid-50564/
http://www.techsupportforum.com/automotive-center/automotive-support/249862-my-1989-jeep-cherokee-wont-start-warm-weather.html

snoopyjon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »

Cheers for the response warp, much appreciated. 

It all came to a head this morning when I tried starting it to go over to a mates house to fit some rear lift shackles.  Nothing at all would start it.  I whacked the starter motor a shed load of times, tried jumping it off my running car, nothing would get it to go.  There was lots of swearing and throwing of non-starter motor parts in my garage until I found the spare starter motor.  I'm not too good when it comes to engines etc, but decided to give it a go.  I was most pleasantly surprised that the old starter came off with a couple of nuts, and a couple of electical contacts.  Put the spare on, tightened it all up, tried starting it and my god it's transformed the thing!  Starts like a new Jeep now!! :-D

Was then able to drive over to my mates, and start the rear shackle lift.  Jesus the old upper shackle bolts were in there!  Even with a three foot graunch bar it was a nightmare getting them off... Had to angle grind the lower nuts off, which then made it easy to knock out the old bolt.  Fitted the new shackles from motionoffroad in the states, and voila, now have a couple of inches more lift on the back so my tyres no longer rub (even with a massive load in the back).

All in all a really positive end to the day.  Just got the front spring spacers to fit now, sort out a snorkel, and I'm ready for some winter mud  :icon_super:

Cheers,

Jon.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »

Grinders rock  :icon_super:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

snoopyjon

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »

Oh yeah I agree!!  Didn't have any safety goggles though, so my mates daughter kindly offered up her Fireman Sam helmet for me  :hysterical:

[attachment=1]

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »

:hysterical:

ray bans  :greggmo:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:26:32 AM »

Oh yeah I agree!!  Didn't have any safety goggles though, so my mates daughter kindly offered up her Fireman Sam helmet for me  :hysterical:

[attachment=1]
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover
Pages: [1]   Go Up