Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 586 times)

Indecisive

Is it worth it?
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »

Hi all,

New here and looking for a bit of advice.

I went to look at a used 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 last night.  High miles but otherwise all seemed ok except the steering.  The guy selling it said that the knuckle joint at the bottom of the steering column had been replaced for the MOT last month and the tracking just needs doing following this but when I took it out for a spin and noticed that the steering wheel is slightly out of line and that it vibrates when you go over 50mph.

Is this something to worry about our would sorting the tracking and/or some minor adjustments sort this?

Any help much appreciated as I need to get back to him today if I want it.  Thanks in advance.

Mike Pavelin

Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »

Changing a joint on the steering column will have no effect on the tracking whatsoever. I believe that it is also on a master spline so there shouldn't be a change in steering wheel position either. Steering wheel position can be adjusted via the drag link once alignment is confirmed as correct but tracking will also have no effect on the vibration which is caused by something else. Bear in mind most GCs tend to drift to the left slightly due to road camber, making the steering look out of line. There are plenty of others of others on the market, if it don't feel right walk away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up