Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand 2002 CRD wont fire up  (Read 1835 times)

Lee5

Grand 2002 CRD wont fire up
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »

Hi,

Bit of an odd one this  :icon_sad:

I went to shops about a 5 min  drive away, the Jeep start 1st time when I left when I got back in about 30 mins later it just turned over and would not fire up.

I got towed home and still nothingwhen I tried to start it, I cracked an injector open to see if there was any fuel coming up to the rail and there was nothing when I turned it over, now I don't know if there should be fuel going to rail when cranked but I would have thoughts, I have had a look but cant find the relays or fuses ?

Can anyone else shed some light on the problem.

Cheers
Lee

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
Re: Grand 2002 CRD wont fire up
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:24:02 PM »

Line/filter frozen??
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:09:17 PM »

common rail diesel and your cracking the injector to see diesel while cranking, not a good idea due to the pressures involved it is in excess of 1000bar or 15000psi.

immobiliser cutting the fuel pump ?
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Lee5

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »

common rail diesel and your cracking the injector to see diesel while cranking, not a good idea due to the pressures involved it is in excess of 1000bar or 15000psi.

immobiliser cutting the fuel pump ?

I cracked it before I cranked it over, its got the standard factory alarm do these play up at all ?

Cheers
Lee

Lee5

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »

I have had a look this morning and from the looks of it there is no fuel coming from the tank, I removed a pipe from the top of the fuel filter and turned to car over, no fuel came out the pipe.

I would have thought from just priming the system i would have got something :(

I looked at all the fuses under the dash all are ok, I looked at the fuses under the bonnet they are all ok.

Is there a relay for the fuel as I can see it on the cover its just a 20 amp fuse ?

Next question is where is the fuel pump located so I can stick a multi meter on to see if its getting voltage ?

Thanks for the help :)

Cheers
Lee

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »

There is no electric fuel pump. It has two engine driven pumps. You need to get a proper diagnostic done.

eastryjeep

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »

Some RAC/AA bloke on the news last night said that most callouts over the last few days were for flooded engines, any chance it could be that simple?
Try Nulon's, 'Start ya Bastard', (most motor factors carry it), follow the instructions rigorously as it's a diesel and see if it fires up, if it then quits it's the injection system gone u/s and if it keeps running, 'problem sorted'.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »

can you flood a crd ?
Alfa 147 jtdm

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »

No

Lee5

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »

Thanks for help guys, Its just very odd how it was fine then just didn't start  :icon_sad:

I think the Jeep has a mind of its own as the wife and was talking about getting new one and now I think it might have the hump and thought I will piss him of..... :lol_hitting:

Lee

eastryjeep

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:36:14 PM »

Damn Mike, I don't think it's possible to give a shorter answer that, makes me feel more than a little short too!  :hysterical:

Oh well, live and learn eh?

Still at least I thought the cold start spray was a good idea though.

And, you will find Jeeps DO have feelings Lee, I bet it knows you haven't bought it a pressie doesn't it?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »

if there is no fuel easy start wont help.

if you have found the fuel relay then i would assume there might be a fuse as well. with the ignition off there will be zero volts but with the ignition on you should be able to measure a voltage at least off one of more of the relay pins. you shouldn't need to start to get this reading. with the ignition on do you actually here the pump working/priming just like a typical petrol pump ?
Alfa 147 jtdm

Lee5

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:08:17 AM »

Well update time.

I called the AA today as didn't want the to get them out over xmas even tho I do pay for the sevice.

The AA bloke looked at everything fuses, relays checked voltages everything looked fine but it just turned over with out any luck, he then checked for fuel and there was no fuel coming to to rail.

He then plugged in he diagnostic tool and found no fault codes, there was a signal from the crank sensor.

He then got the good old easy start out sprayed in and it ran for 5 seconds, he then did it again and nothing :(

So that was it he started to fill in the paper work to say he couldn't get it going, then before he went he said bollox lets give it one more try, he gave it a bit more cold start and it just fired straight up, which we both found very odd  :banghead:

Anyway he did pick up that injector number 2 had a very small blow on it and that could have been the problem, i have had this problem before where the little brass washer has blown but its never caused it not to start.

So I will give it an hour or so and see if it will start again when it gets cold again.

Looks like I might need to get a can of easy start until I can get a washer but I dont like using easy start as they do get addict to it.

So i am now up and running.

Thanks for all you help and Merry Xmas.

Cheers
Lee

tedthefed

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: JLUR
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »

Had similar problem with my Grand 2 years ago, turned out needing a replacement fuel pump.
opps didn't see that

Lee5

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »

Had similar problem with my Grand 2 years ago, turned out needing a replacement fuel pump.

Hope not I could do without a big bill, where are they located on the CRD ?

Cheers
Lee

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »

Lee I was starting my van with easystart, for well over a year, with no addiction :icon_winkle: the same bosch injectors to
it was number 2 injector, playing up on me mates
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover
Pages: [1]   Go Up