Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Adventure HD off road shocks on 1996 Jeep GC 4.0  (Read 609 times)

Pedroski

Monroe Adventure HD off road shocks on 1996 Jeep GC 4.0
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:35:02 AM »

I just got a set of these (D4001 and D4002) from Monroeshop.co.uk . Fitted them tonight. Couple of minor fitting problems. Cup washers supplied for front suspension top mount have a hole that is a touch too small to fit over the unthreaded part of the top mount rod. Ended up using a couple of the washers from the old stock shocks, so no big deal. And the metal tube insert in the bottom eye bushing of the rear shocks is 2mm too long to fit in the Jeep rear lower shock mount. Cut them a little shorter in just a few seconds using my angle grinder with cutting disc, so again no big deal.

The main thing is though.....the ride both on road and off road (up my local track) is brilliant. Best the Jeep has ever felt. And I'd recommend them big time. The set of 4 was only about £150 delivered, which I think is pretty decent value.

I only realised I needed to replace my shocks after noticing a "clicking" coming from the front right, and a ride quality that was a bit like a cross channel ferry on a stormy day. Investigation revealed that the numpty in the garage where the front axles was replaced before I bought it had left out the two bottom mounting bolts! Idiot. And as I was going over bumps it wasn't seating properly. Funny thing is, it was MOTd (after the axle was replaced) by a place that does Just MOTs, and they didn't even notice the shock wasn't bolts in. If they'd checked the bushes like what they're supposed too, then there's no way they could have missed it. So first of all, a cock up by a garage in Southwick, then a cock up by a place that does Just MOTs on the Belltower Industrial Estate in Brighton. I'd been towing my trailer around like this for work, and drive past VOSA check points nearly every day - just glad I didn't get pulled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up