Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ Clutch  (Read 742 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
CJ Clutch
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:58:45 AM »

With my bundle of parts that I got from the UK I got the clutch unit, this is obviously 2nd hand so I should replace it with a new unit, what spec clutch I'm I looking out for and who should I get one off, I believe the original clutch is from a 258 but don't think there is much difference between them all. Oh and this is going on a stock 360.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
Re: CJ Clutch
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »

buy it from lightys and know that its right

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Marmaduke

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »

I used the clutch that was fitted ti my 258 and bolted it straight on the flywheel of my 360. It's still there and works fine

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »

Yeah I found one in the end, tried Lighty's but far to expensive, got the correct one for the V8/t150 from the US for half the price including shipping

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »

well done shame about lightys  they are going to put them selves out of business  unless they get smart real fast

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »

Yeah I couldn't believe the diff either, even with shipping etc it was still half the price,even crazier thing is I can get the package sent from the US cheaper than what he wanted to charge me to send it from the UK??  Also his clutch disc was more than the whole kit in the US?? As you say Bubba a real shame, would have been nice to keep the business within the 2 countries (i.e. Ireland/UK)

wrangler07

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »

This is one of the problems we have these days. I always try to keep my buying local and support the businesses in and around where I live because I do see a value in their expertise and ability to help when problems arise with equipment I purchase but one can only take things so far. When equipping our new kitchen I checked the prices on the net and knowing that it wasn't realistic for local businesses to compete directly with online prices I simply asked them to get into or around the ballpark. They happily did that as there was no fitting involved, just order from manufacturer and deliver a mile up the road to our house. They actually matched the dishwasher price pound for pound with the cheapest net price I found.

The water pump was a different story. Plumber said that City Plumbing quoted him £420 with his trade discount. I did a quick search and located it up north for £340 plus a tenner shipping. Called up City Plumbing to ask if they could get close to that figure. Wouldn't budge an inch. The woman then proceeded to ask me if I realised that the internet was putting businesses like them out of business. Yes, I replied and if you don't figure out how to be more competitive you surely will soon be gone.

I see it as a duty to at least try to help local and UK businesses but I'm not a charity and cannot afford to constantly pay 20-50% more than I need to just to be nice. I'll pay the 10-15% more and see it as paying for their expertise and service but if it goes above that I order elsewhere. The pump from up north is now pumping 3.3 bars of pressure into my shower and bath. :003:
Pages: [1]   Go Up