Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2001 Grand Cherokee seems to tow car trailer very badly  (Read 6856 times)

Porkie

Re: 2001 Grand Cherokee seems to tow car trailer very badly
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »

It's all down to nose weight. In the good old days when I was still diving we had two dive boats one of which was a dream to tow the other was an absolute bitch because it was too heavy on the nose. We used to have to load the back of the boat up with dive belts to balance it up. Used to get real proper tank slappers if you got it wrong no matter what vehicle was pulling it

My Ford Ranger would tow same car and same trailer loaded the same way at 70mph+.... so whilst I agree, I do think the cars mechanical condition was/is affecting things as well.... AND it is FAR better now with rear bushes all changed

Porkie

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »

I now also think the Towbar height maybe the proble?  maybe too low? Is this wrong? is it a genuine towbar?

If not... where to buy one? what best for these cars. Thanks guys. You have all been super helpful!

scrw

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »

ball height is dependant on the trailer hitch height, especially with a multi axle trailer

Porkie

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »

Thanks again guys, Gonna replace the rear springs as they are old and look very beaten up...

Where could I buy the 'upcountry' springs?  Tried a main dealer with no luck.

or are there any fother springs that I should look at or should I just replace with new std ones from Jeep? or any cheaper ebay ones people have used successfully?

sorry for being a bore/pest!

jay140285

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »

Going back to your ford ranger, you may find that the nose weight on this was alot more,

like I said our old caravan way way to heavy on the nose for the Jeep and hence I had towing issues. On our Rodeo pick up it was never a problem and I know it was even heavier on the nose.

scrw

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2012, 02:04:41 PM »

Have some OME HD springs, but will give you a lift.

Porkie

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 03:21:23 PM »

Have some OME HD springs, but will give you a lift.

Yes. Dont want a lift thanks. Any other spring makes you can suggest pls?

You mentioned you had a Addco rear sway bar. Can I buy one from you pls?

scrw

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »

No problem, will work out how much they are & PM you.

You will struggle to get upreted springs without a lift. Standard OME springs will give around 20mm of lift, HD a little more but have a higher rating. Up Country springs give about a 30mm lift.

Porkie

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »

Hey dude, save you the trouble as I saw where you were based!

I bought one off ebay for 219$ delivered.

Interested in some springs though if you can supply or point me in right direction? 

once again. MASSIVE thanks for your patience and help! let me buy some springs off you and will stick some beer money in as well! (if you think springs are a good idea that is?) surely they are... must be saggy and shagged after 110k miles?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up