Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOA steering woes - full on tech advice needed please  (Read 16996 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
SOA steering woes - full on tech advice needed please
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:56:35 PM »

Right, will try to be brief:

The 4" secondhand lift for the Chief actually turned out to be a SOA lift using the heavier duty J20 springs and shackles but as I was already mentally (& financially) committed to the lift I smiled winsomely and got my bro to persevere, and it has now gone to 6-7" ish. New nitro shocks and damper from Llama4x4 (great service by the way). New pitman arm from 4wd. All U bolts replaced.

Looks great, but drives like its trying to kill me ASAP. Im not sure of the technical term but it 'snakes' down the road at any given time for no obvious reason (ie road conditions). I knew it wouldnt be as good as it was to drive but this is near non-driveable as its going to pull me into the other lane or a pavement at any given time. It is a very similar feeling to the time the steering box has worked loose on the CJ.

So, solutions please ..... ? I love the Chief, and want to get this right.

A load of pics below that hopefully capture all potential areas that may be the problem:

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]
[attachment=4]
[attachment=5]
[attachment=6]
[attachment=7]
[attachment=8]
[attachment=9]
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bulldog67

• Guru
Re: SOA steering woes - full on tech advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »

stupid bloody site timed out  :banghead:

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »

not sure but from your pics , it looks like you needs to sort the caster angle out, so need some caster shims.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »

Yup castor........ find out the castor from the manfacturer....probably about 5-7 degrees and then put angle finder on top of knuckle and read what it is....... the more castor... ie the top of the knuckles are reclining back to you the driver, the less darty and shite it will be......
Also your drag link aint doing you any favours being that short and at that angle.............

You're now going to hate me....... but flat top knuckles are your saviour then you can have the steering arm or  drag link  and also the tie rod above the springs out of harms way.....and flat!! and then no sway wallow darting and stuff. combo of the both really........ :icon_super:

Big article in one of the JP mags you got off me  :icon_twisted: No I can't remember what date :icon_biggrin:

Welcome to the world of perpetual mods :hysterical:

dieselj20

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 06:15:22 PM »

pretty sure lighthouse have got some flat top knuckles

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »

I'm with WW, you kingpins should lean back slightly, yours are leaning forward quite a long way :icon_eek:

Does your steering still self centre ? I'm betting it doesn't.

dieselj20

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »

set mine at 7 degrees

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »

I'm with WW, you kingpins should lean back slightly, yours are leaning forward quite a long way :icon_eek:

Does your steering still self centre ? I'm betting it doesn't.

coudnt say whether it self centre to be honest, but will take your word for it that it wont :icon_biggrin:

seems intial diagnostic consensus is agreed

Nosebolt

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »

:iagree: with all above

looks like neg caster, it will steer like a knackered shopping trolly,

from memory it should be between 5° and 7° but this is where you will need to make some sort of compromise, the greater the caster the more stable at speed but less agile around corners the rig will be, before you go for the max caster remember the greater the caster the greater the pinion angle will get and this will cause vibration and increased UJ wear. the methods mentioned will all work but sort of knowing how you like to drive fast I would also consider looking into having the tubes rotated, this will be expensive but will give the best results regarding caster and pinion angles

dieselj20

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »

:iagree: cut the c,s off tip the pinion to were you want it rotate the c,s to your caster

Tank

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »

:iagree: cut the c,s off tip the pinion to were you want it rotate the c,s to your caster

You do realise this is BD you are talking to.....he has the mechanical comprehension of a wet towel  :lol_hitting:

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »

Just put it back as Jeep intended and magically your steering will return to normal  :massage:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:20:46 AM »

Man will learn nothing if he stands still Dave

besides, the old springs have already been weighed in with one of those uber ghay 4.2 engines :d030:

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »

very true  :greggmo:

lesson here is its easy to fit a lift kit, making it useable and driveable takes time
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »

Nothing lots of parts and fluff can't cure Ade :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :steeringwheel: :steeringwheel: :banghead:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 12:09:29 PM »

hmmmm, cheapest easiest first, knuckles dont look cheap, and im guessin rotatin the tubes will be even more so, but im needin an idiots guide to shims

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

Available in 2 4 6 and probably 8 degree .... they go ..in your case of a SOA under the springs and on top of the axle to tip axle in required direction..available from loads of people probably but I got some now on Bubbas truck from Steve at FTE and they were from Rubicon express.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »

cheers Jez, so they are axle specific?

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »

and is it an axle off or on job?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »

They relate more to the width of the spring and then you need the correct sized hole in the wedge, but that can always be 'clearanced'!

Support rig and loosen u-bolts and pop it in (fnarr) tighten u-bolts and test ..........then check............ 1 hours work :icon_biggrin:

Nosebolt

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »

it will be installation specific you will need to measure your current spindle support centreline the then add shims to obtain the desired angle.

eg: current setup is -3° and you want +6° then you will need 9° shims, if current is +1° and you want +6° then you need 5° shims

this should help

what ever you do you should try and keep the pinion angle to +/- 3°

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

:greggmo: doods  :023:

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

:greggmo: doods  :023:

And YOU accuse ME of departing the Cult of BD by going all technical......Pfffffff....

the above might as well be written in chinese ....  makes as much sense  :sign0023:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up