Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Talk to me about axles  (Read 20344 times)

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
Talk to me about axles
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »

So I realise that this has been discussed at depth, but I thought I would try and get an updated view on the matter

So............(wait for the I told you so's) realistically if I keep doing the challenge type stuff, I am gonna have to swap out my HP D30, for something a little larger and thus stronger.

I have a standard TJ D44 with 4.56 in the rear with superior shafts and haven't broken anything yet, so I'm hoping that I can mix and match, as long as I have the same ratio's, correct me if I'm wrong, looking to the future I would like to be running 37's, rules dependant

so the choices for a new front axle are:

Dana 44 HD
Dynatrac Pro rock 44
Dana 50, like IOM's Mafia, don't know much about them
Dana 60/pro rock - though I'm told I will loose 3" ground clearance, so that'll be like being on 33's again
Dana 70
Dana 80

Then:
nissan?
Yota landcruiser?

Ford 9"
cough, Disco 2

anybody else got any ideas? ideally I'd like something cheap, strong thus reliable with good ground clearance and a reasonably easy to source parts factor

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
Re: Talk to me about axles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »

i thought you was buying the mafia, job done  :icon_winkle:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

willo

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »

i thought you was buying the mafia, job done  :icon_winkle:

not unless i have won the lottey.....it really is a good deal for the money Peter is asking, just I haven't got it, and likely never will have. although it probably seems backwards, the only way I can pay for my Jeep is at a month a time, normally when payday comes.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »

soz, thought you had a deal  :icon_redface:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »

what about stronger shafts and stuff like that before changing axles ????

willo

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »

what about stronger shafts and stuff like that before changing axles ????

done that, its the R&P size that is the problem, along with the axle tubes

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »

Did you do the hi pinion change........? Or are you still TJ low pinion?

If not there's strength to be had in a passing XJ front axle....

OR...............

Left drop FSJ cherry Dana 44.......... (Lightys have one spare if you can twist their arm) thicker tubes and stronger
R and P. Will also go deeper than 4.88 :icon_biggrin:

I'm thinking cheap and available parts for you rather than suggesting the Dana60's for you again from Northampton :icon_twisted:

willo

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »

Did you do the hi pinion change........? Or are you still TJ low pinion?

If not there's strength to be  had in a passing XJ front axle....
Yup, unless I truss it which won't gain me any R&P strength, I reckon I am as strong as its gonna get, HP Dana 30 with RCV shafts running (reverse cut) 4.56

dieselj20

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »

dana 60's 35 spline

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »

Hell yes. tis Friday night so lets try to persuade you into Dana 60s.You know it makes sense...........

In the long run............ £5 k for 10-12ks worth of cut to size arb'd 4.88 killer axles............. :steeringwheel:

willo

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »

so is there no logic on the thinking that I haven't bust my rear 44 so therefore a front 44 would suffice? or would the possibility of 37's count out the 44's?

dieselj20

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:49:40 PM »

cheaper than stronger shafts arb's in 30's and 44's then throwing it all away when fitting 60's

willo

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »

Hell yes. tis Friday night so lets try to persuade you into Dana 60s.You know it makes sense...........

In the long run............ £5 k for 10-12ks worth of cut to size arb'd 4.88 killer axles............. :steeringwheel:

How much weight do you think you have gained on the YJ since adding the bigger axles? are you using heavier winch rope to compensate?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »

HP Dana 44 housing from the US and build up your own axle. Could use FSJ tubes and outers or use JK outers? Find a JK Rubicon axle? (they're D44)

Have you seen Cleggy's TJ? Nissan Patrol axles and and 'enthusiastic' driver with 36" Simex and I've never seen him bust axle parts (He did trash the stock D44 spectacularly so is more than capable of abuse)

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 11:25:08 PM »

Weight         added weight..........??? :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Well the tyres probably weigh 100lbs more for the 4
The axles weigh 520 - 560 with brakes each (double the 44 and more than double the 30)
Plus I did the front and rear bumper with 4 mm rectangular section and the skid plate is 6 mm

600 lbs extra maybe......... but not running doors saves 75 lbs per side and no hard top ........ 150lbs so I am not too much of a weighty wonder.

Once the tube bender gets dialed in more will be coming off.......... skidplate in tube will save me at least 60lbs

Then next year back half off and tube the beast with 4 link ...... gotta earn some folding first...... :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 07:22:18 AM »

The front axle on the mafia is ALL custom!!

Basically it's a TERA 50 (hp44 pumpkin tilted) 17% stronger than a standard DANA 44 and then DANA 60 outers and 35 spline shafts - the reason I chose this route is the DANA 60 pumpkin is foooookin huge and not much room under the engine sump - at the time of the Mafia build flex was my friend.

For a budget if I was you I would put a waggy front DANA 44 and a DANA 60 rear out of the box this is plenty strong for a 37" tyre and future upgrades could be factored as required.

For a future note my custom axles cost me £20k

"Not all those who wander are lost"

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 08:04:48 AM »

Waggy 44 and Nissans have the diff on the drivers side, so you would need a change of transfer box or a lot of welding (just to add to your costs).

cheaper to buy a Nissan patrol and remove its axles  :icon_winkle:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

willo

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »

Waggy 44 and Nissans have the diff on the drivers side, so you would need a change of transfer box or a lot of welding (just to add to your costs).

cheaper to buy a Nissan patrol and remove its axles  :icon_winkle:

like an un-flipt dana300? :jpshakehead:

Delk

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »

Years ago I tossed all the bits available at my Dana 30 and it was a waste of time and money. Went to a tj Dana front housing for awhile since I had spare gears and lockers. This was a short term gap but the unit bearings and brakes are the same so you are only adding a little gear and shaft strength. The newer axle tubes are much thinner and ended up bending. I stumbled across a high pinion D44 ford housing and put this in. So far so good after four years it is still doing great. The only limit now is the u joints.

Front d44 hp with 5.13 gears, ARB locker, Moser inner shafts, GM brakes 5x5 1/2 lug pattern and warn hubs, flat top knuckles and high steer arms.
Rear d44 with 5.13 gears, larger Superior shafts and matching Detroit and Teraflex discs. I think the shafts are 33 spline.

I went this route since I already had boxes of d44 parts. Everything is off the shelf except my inner long shaft but you can get these made in the states cheap enough. It gets you a cj lug pattern and incredible front brakes.

The only problem I had with the rear axle was two teeth broke on the ring gear once. This was a week after the rear drive shaft cv joint failed. The shaft was still attached to the axle and was flying about causing all kinds of damage in the short time it took me to get stopped.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »

sounds a good idea delk   how about 44 from a rubicon ?

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

Willo have a word with Lighties about FSJ axles that they have lying around.

I spoke with them about 4 years ago before I went my chosen route.

Seems they wanted about £600 for a pair but that would be right drop.

They do have a spare left drop but wanted £800 for it as it was 'THEIR' spare

Dana 300s are around for what you bought the flipper for. And I beleive their was another Birty who was in the line for the flipper.

So there you go ...just a random Saturday morning thought. :icon_twisted:

And to add to this........before I go out and freeze doing some building work :jpshakehead: You can then contact 'PartsMike' and get flat top knuckles and hi-steer bits,probably upgrade brakes and all manner of financial damage :icon_twisted:

Delk

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »

The Rubicon 44 was what I installed the second time. Thin tubes that I managed to bend plus you are stuck with the all the weaknesses of the D30. It reuses all the outers so you are left with weak brakes, shafts, unit bearings and ball joints.

The Rubi housing was quite light. I bought it up in Seattle while visiting my parents then packed it as oversized luggage on the flights back to where I was living at the time. On the other hand the hp44 housing was picked up on a different trip and had to send it down by boat.

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »

Your always going to have problems with tubes unless you go custom 1/2" but you know much mooooooolar is required for that!!!.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Delk

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »

I don't know if this will be of any interest but here is what I ended up for the front axle in my TJ.

As I said it is a Ford HP Dana 44 with GM flat top knuckles and brakes. The reason I went to flat top knuckles in a Tj was tie rod conflicted with the drag link and track bar. moving this up by itself gave me the clearance to get everything where I wanted so it flexes great and drives really well.

I kept the track bar mount fairly low on the axle side to help with tire lift. I had seen a few people put the track bar above the center of the axle but if any side force was put in the direction the opposite tire would lift really easily. Since I kept the track bar low I also lowered the frame side a good ways trying to keep the angles down. The frame mount was quite long so I braced it with my old track bar back to the other side. The track bar angle and length are almost exactly the same so I don't suffer from any bump steer or other issues.

If I had mega money to spend on an axle I would be looking at a 609 combination. They take a HP Ford 9 inch and stick it in between Dana 60 knuckles.

[attachment=1]

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »

CLICKY...