Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Talk to me about axles  (Read 20343 times)

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Talk to me about axles
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »

Terra Low got a real bad reputation on Pirate caused them to be labelled 'Terra Blow' Cant remember the name of the good one.twill come to me in time :jpshakehead:

Willo keep looking..................... took me a lot of balls to cut my DD up into pieces not knowing if I would fall at the first hurdle or just get lost :jpshakehead:

My Dana 60 and 14 Bolt cost me a swap with my original axles........... so nothing..............or......... .one feck of a wad spread over 7 years.

But even now I have stuff arriving via Bundlebox on Wednesday...... lower r and p and stuff ............... so the jobs never done...... and you've already read my ramblings about 4 linky stuff for next year.

All I can say is the 2 years I got involved in something else (building) I lost interest in offroading...... so for me the build and feckin around is as much fun as the froading. Other might disagree vehemently.

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »

If you cant take some sarcasm-bluntness over the internet i don't know what to tell ya. But its easy to tell you have no idea what your getting into, we all start somewhere. no worries. But if you don't want the feedback from guys that have dug the ruts your driving in - stop asking mate.
That Jeep of mine was built in a driveway in England. And it didn't have stupid money thrown at it, just lots and lots of time and metal.

sorry, there is no way to tell what is and what isn't sarcasm on an open forum, without perhaps knowing the person, first,. If I had realised that you were intending on being sarcastic in your first post then perhaps I wouldn't have bitten. But as I don't know who you are from Adam, its a bit hard to tell.
I'm sorry if my ramblings aren't up to your God like status in knowing this and that about jeeps, but really, folk have got to start somewhere, and where Jeeps (especially in competition) in this country are few and far between I really don't think your comments of 'it is easy to tell you have no idea what you are getting in to' and 'perhaps you should give up' are particularly helpful positive or proactive.

Since being on this forum for possibly a little over a year I have been offered and taken superb sound advice from the likes of V8 Bubba, Isle of Man, Wildwood, Panic Mechanic, Dutch, Bulldog, Greggmo, Warthog,Tragic and many others to name but a few. Perhaps you need to sit back and take a note out of their books in order to be a real Dastard.
Me, I'll take advice from anyone, I love my Jeep, though its a bit of a pain at the mo. And hopefully I'll get my axle woes sorted soon enough.

king cj

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »

d44s would live with 37s as would crusier 80s or nissan patrol axles but they would be on their limit without some beefing. 60s/70s gm 14 bolt would be perfect. 80s would be way strong but take all your ground clerance.
then their is mogs or volvo portals.

their is a guy up this way selling pairs of d70s brand new for £300 on ebay at the moment

willo

• Guru
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »

d44s would live with 37s as would crusier 80s or nissan patrol axles but they would be on their limit without some beefing. 60s/70s gm 14 bolt would be perfect. 80s would be way strong but take all your ground clerance.
then their is mogs or volvo portals.

their is a guy up this way selling pairs of d70s brand new for £300 on ebay at the moment

Thanks, i have seen them, but am a little concerned about the closes knuckle on the front. Though i am not completly aware of their short comings, perhaps someone in the know could explain

Delk

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »

The old closed knuckle D60 has weak 16 spline shafts and drum brakes. There maybe other issues but everyone says stay away.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »

Weight is the issue unlesss your building a Big block mud monster and losing the lard of the brakes and using pinion brakes.

Never seen that done here tho.....................

And the 4 to 1 kit for the dana 300 that doesn't Terrablow.............is called..................wait for i...............t  LO-MAX

They do kits for std ratios as well. JP did a feature on them........Bulldog will have that article now :icon_biggrin:

big_patrol

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2012, 03:22:08 PM »

What is the ratio of the dana 300 in low?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »

tiny bit less than a 231 about 2.6? I seem to remember

You might be OK depending on what your intending to do cos the torque converter is reputed to give a further reduction of 2.3 or some'at so unless rocks are your thing you'll be OK.

big_patrol

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »

Sorry to hijack, its not for the tj its on a mates cherokee thats getting patrol axles. So is it lower or higher geared than the 231? Sorry to sound dumb just not sure what ratio the std t case is.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »

231 is 2.7?  dana is 2.6? so 231 is more crawly by a tiny margin that you wont notice :icon_super:

big_patrol

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »

Thank you very much in the mine field of american forums I had got myself mixed up into thinking they were lower geared.

doublej

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »

If you cant take some sarcasm-bluntness over the internet i don't know what to tell ya. But its easy to tell you have no idea what your getting into, we all start somewhere. no worries. But if you don't want the feedback from guys that have dug the ruts your driving in - stop asking mate.
That Jeep of mine was built in a driveway in England. And it didn't have stupid money thrown at it, just lots and lots of time and metal.

sorry, there is no way to tell what is and what isn't sarcasm on an open forum, without perhaps knowing the person, first,. If I had realised that you were intending on being sarcastic in your first post then perhaps I wouldn't have bitten. But as I don't know who you are from Adam, its a bit hard to tell.
I'm sorry if my ramblings aren't up to your God like status in knowing this and that about jeeps, but really, folk have got to start somewhere, and where Jeeps (especially in competition) in this country are few and far between I really don't think your comments of 'it is easy to tell you have no idea what you are getting in to' and 'perhaps you should give up' are particularly helpful positive or proactive.

Since being on this forum for possibly a little over a year I have been offered and taken superb sound advice from the likes of V8 Bubba, Isle of Man, Wildwood, Panic Mechanic, Dutch, Bulldog, Greggmo, Warthog,Tragic and many others to name but a few. Perhaps you need to sit back and take a note out of their books in order to be a real Dastard.
Me, I'll take advice from anyone, I love my Jeep, though its a bit of a pain at the mo. And hopefully I'll get my axle woes sorted soon enough.

Geeze calm down a little, I don't remember throwing any bad name or the like your way. If anything - don't mind me... at the end of the day I am just the loud mouth yank with a few missing teeth and a hard southern pull. Weather the locals here call me a dastard or not is up to them, but I've shared a pint, grinder, mud hole, and sheep turd with most of those you named and would gladly go out of my way todo it again.
But I am not here to explain myself, thats what PMs are for - we can continue this there if you would like.....
And KingCJ I think you forgot how people drive at comps..... unless Willo uses his jeep as a mobile winch platform 44s wont last forever in stock form. And I think he is trying to keep the axles mostly stock. I also wouldn't worry about the ground clearance part. I always listen to people talk about that but how many rock gardens are in England? If its mud, tree, sandstone -  just add more skinny pedal and push through it.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »

Willo, i know you dont know Jay but let me add a little

hes a yank, tells you like it is, knows his stuff and always there to paddle in the mud, get you recovered, give you driving tips

would be a good winchie bitch for anyone, knows how to build a good truck so hes a good guy and even after been posted to far off lands he still wants to be a birty

He is not been funny with ya, he is being himself  :icon_super:

short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »

Since being on this forum for possibly a little over a year I have been offered and taken superb sound advice from the likes of V8 Bubba, Isle of Man, Wildwood, Panic Mechanic, Dutch, Bulldog, Greggmo, Warthog,Tragic and many others to name but a few.

Make this thread a sticky :icon_super: ya readin this ya doubtin fuckers of my genius :003:

I tried to give Dutch the same advice but he went all magpie on me instead  :lol_hitting:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Nosebolt

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »

i thought he was being sarcastic.. :hysterical:

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »

i think its a typo tbh  :icon_biggrin:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »

He's confusing you with someone else dude..... :003:
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2012, 07:38:52 PM »

JJs the real deal, gave me a copy of Crawl mag and forever changed my view of going offroading and he hadn't even started HIS build at the time..... introduced me to mig welding and well 2 years down the line ..............................

2 courses at college Mig and tig... the build of the 1 ton ................shit loads of everything including doing brakes on the JJ machine and loads of other stuff.

As I've said before ...............I was bored and meeting JJ and King CJ who I have known since his monster was a normal CJ has made me look at the standard ish YJ and think feck this 'go big or go home.' Tis a hobby and you throw at what you can justify.............. Me ....I do more weldy cutty poncing around than I do driving.................. but that's cos I got fed up doing 6 hrs sorting a trials event and only getting to run the course for a 10min period.during that time.
For me its a bunch of guys going at it all day playing variations of follow my leader and having a laugh and helping each other out. Just like Cheapfest in fact :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »

I tried to give Dutch the same advice but he went all magpie on me instead  :lol_hitting:

Dutch has a focused approach - BD you have a splatter gun approach (except when you cover all sins in BD black)  never should the two be in the same sentence.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

willo

• Guru
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »

I have a black roller lurking.......

So what should I expect running 35's on 4.11/4.10 lots of stalling and more grunt required?

Would this said D44 front axle have a longer pinion nose and thus I would need to re -assess prop lengths?

Nosebolt

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »

don't stress on the props yet, worst case is a re tube for about £150 tops, get the rest best your budget allows then worry about props

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »

Well as its a new axle to you and you would need to weld on the spring pads and stuff....... you could........ as I suggested, go long arm........ I believe you can get to a whisker of 100" and still not have comp cut rear fenders.
Then...............

Well its a wallet fuck from there...... outboard the shocks........... oh that means chassis in way ....cut slice dice ......and go for coil overs or sway away or any desert racer stuff.......

But backing up to sanity time...... a long arm on the rear only to get you to 100" would help a load...... keep it coil and separate shock but out board the shock and...... it will be good :icon_biggrin:

My mind is in overdrive (prior to Merlot shut down) but I did read that a 4 " short arm lift will reduce the wheelbase by at least 3"
For what its worth :icon_super:

I think you can stretch front a couple of inches without affecting steering box issues....... If ya go that route I have a ZJ pitman arm that is 1" longer drilled for 1 ton TRE that i never used cos I went full hydro. It willeither give you more left and right or allow you to move axle to front. :icon_biggrin:

willo

• Guru
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »

don't stress on the props yet, worst case is a re tube for about £150 tops, get the rest best your budget allows then worry about props

I will need to re-assess props any way when the D300 gets fitted, re - tube for £150 :003: I thought I was looking at £500's for new props :jpshakehead:

So long arm, double triangulated, twin stick d300 oh and all the safety mods I need to do before KOV? not on my budget but something to aspire to, I feel my Jeeping project is getting slightly out of control, its great isn't it :icon_super:

Nosebolt

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

£500 for a new build, but you wont need that, reuse the expensive parts off the old prop for now

willo

• Guru
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »

£500 for a new build, but you wont need that, reuse the expensive parts off the old prop for now

Though my current rear prop is a bit buggered
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up