Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: Willo's Challenge Truck build "Project T-J"  (Read 66169 times)

Delk

Re: Willo's Challenge Truck build "Project T-J"
« Reply #375 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »

RCV issues? Keep us informed as I am very very jealous and want some in my jeep if anyone will buy my children for a reasonable price.

Speaking of costs, how much do you think the pro rock 60's under the Italian Jeep cost!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #376 on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »

15k euros each end flown in from septic land?

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #377 on: July 31, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »

The italian jeep had a build spec at 100,000€ plus they got a lot foc as they are the european dealer for a lot of stuff. It has a 14 bolt on the rear as Pier previously stripped a d60 r and p

They are a super helpful bunch, i received some arb shims at christmas time in 2 days when they were snowed in after no-one in the uk could help....

dieselj20

« Reply #378 on: July 31, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :icon_super: d60?

willo

• Guru
« Reply #379 on: July 31, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »

dieselj20

« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »

d60 with uj's nice and brutal

willo

• Guru
« Reply #381 on: July 31, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »

[attachment=1]

Delk

« Reply #382 on: July 31, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »

Looks like you were laying down on the job while you crew got to work

willo

• Guru
« Reply #383 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:12 PM »

Looks like you were laying down on the job while you crew got to work

fml it would have been the first instance of it!

willo

• Guru
« Reply #384 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »

Specs on the Italian TJ:

- GM LS2 6.0L Engine
- TH400 automatic transmission
- Atlas II Transfer case
- Dynatrac ProRock60 front axle
- PSC Full hydro steering
- ARB Locker front
- Yukon Grizzly locker rear
- GM 14Bolts rear axle
- Artec truss
- RCV axles front and rear
- H.A.D. drive shafts
- Fox 2.5 Coilover shocks
- Fox bump stop
- Maxxis Trepador 40" tires
- Raceline Beadlock wheels
- Griffin Radiator
- Acerni Offroad chassis and suspensions
- Mastercraft Seats and belts
- Gigglepin winches

nomadsz

« Reply #385 on: August 01, 2012, 10:56:39 PM »

Control arm tube inserts milled to suit ready for glue:
[attachment=3][attachment=4]

What metal did you mill the tube inserts from and how did you "glue them" or do you mean weld to the CFS/CDS

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »

when you "glue" metal the meaning is weld or braze pieces together
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

willo

• Guru
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2012, 10:31:37 PM »

RCV issues? Keep us informed as I am very very jealous and want some in my jeep if anyone will buy my children for a reasonable price.

Seriously, you yanks have got customer service down to a T. I just had awesome customer service from RCV, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Some UK companies could/should take note :003:

willo

• Guru
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »

Control arm tube inserts milled to suit ready for glue:
[attachment=3][attachment=4]

What metal did you mill the tube inserts from and how did you "glue them" or do you mean weld to the CFS/CDS

out with it.....why all the silly questions??? why not start a thread with nomadz is trying to make something, any help appreciated....

Delk

« Reply #389 on: August 03, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

Coffee with free refills defines a country

willo

• Guru
« Reply #390 on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »

new bling rcv stuff has landed at Stanstead, now thats not bad seeing as I only emailed the photos this time yesterday :icon_super:

willo

• Guru
« Reply #391 on: August 04, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »

Thought it about time for an update, had a few issues at kov with my wiring and cut outs, possibly something to do with being in a rush....anyhow after burning out my armtech cutout I decided to go back to the basic msa/fia cut out which is also wired into my giant winch solenoid box and will cut the car and winches in one go:
[attachment=2]

I found during KOV that due to being lower geared on the diffs, the gear of choice was 3rd low, much better than before which was always 2/3. However as the gearbox has moved up a gnats to accomodate the new transfer case i found that when giving it some beans in 3rd the gear stick inadvertently kept switching the arb pump and thus the lockers off!! Now they are in a much better location at the top of the dash :-)

found a puddle:

[attachment=1]

willo

• Guru
« Reply #392 on: September 15, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »

well its been a wile so I tought I 'd best post somet up ere. As you all probably know I tried my best at KOV and started 4 out of 5 laps albeit never finisin any of tem. In reality the truck wasn't exactly ready and since then I have been ironing out the problems, tweekin here and adjusting there. one issue I had at kov, probably due to a time constraint was the lack of power to either winches. As it was and I have only just got them working on 24v today :icon_super: I was thwarted by 2 problems. the first on the front winc was that as it is mounted back to front, no-one told me tat one of the winch bolt holes is not blind like the rest of them and so when you wind in a long coachbolt it inadvertently winds in to the main gear and locks it solid :violence: so no matter tat i tried to can te 24v systenm and run it on 12v it still wouldnt friggin work :headhack:
The next problem I ave foiund today is tat one of my batteries in the 24v pair(in series) is U/S and altough it says it has 13v as soon as its under load it drops to 0v.
Another issue I found at KOV was tat when cornerin at speed wit te new airshocks the truck tended to lean over a hell of alot and sometimes i thought we were gonna roll off into oblivion :003: anyow, Dave Cole from Ultra 4 racin told me tat in te USA what they do to get round this is to block off one of the bleed holes, so today finally I ave had every shock off in turn, and tapped and threadlocked a machine screw in one of the bleed screws, havin taken it for a burn round the block, it definitly seems more steady goin round corners and roundabouts, I ave also reduced the amount of oil in them, goin back to stock, (for a softer spring rate) and increasin the nitrogen charge to keep the same ride height.
Cheapfest was really only my 2nd proppa go with it and I was impressed once again with its traction and articulation. I was hoping CB would post some vid up of me at the axle twistery bit in the furthest bit of wood :-)

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #393 on: September 15, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »

If you are using two batteries and your car is 12V then one battery will be getting used more than the other and in turn this will discharge the other battery. Unless your 24V system is switched in only when required?  :icon_winkle:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

willo

• Guru
« Reply #394 on: September 15, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »

If you are using two batteries and your car is 12V then one battery will be getting used more than the other and in turn this will discharge the other battery. Unless your 24V system is switched in only when required?  :icon_winkle:

should have mentioned, I have a seperate 24v system with its own alternator solely for the winches. this is wired through a charge lamp and a 12v (switched side )relay can't remember the exact wiring but it uses B+ and D+ off the 24v alternator and the light goes out when there is 24v goin to it up the neggy

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #395 on: September 15, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »

well its been a wile so I tought I 'd best post somet up ere. As you all probably know I tried my best at KOV and started 4 out of 5 laps albeit never finisin any of tem. In reality the truck wasn't exactly ready and since then I have been ironing out the problems, tweekin here and adjusting there. one issue I had at kov, probably due to a time constraint was the lack of power to either winches. As it was and I have only just got them working on 24v today :icon_super: I was thwarted by 2 problems. the first on the front winc was that as it is mounted back to front, no-one told me tat one of the winch bolt holes is not blind like the rest of them and so when you wind in a long coachbolt it inadvertently winds in to the main gear and locks it solid :violence: so no matter tat i tried to can te 24v systenm and run it on 12v it still wouldnt friggin work :headhack:
The next problem I ave foiund today is tat one of my batteries in the 24v pair(in series) is U/S and altough it says it has 13v as soon as its under load it drops to 0v.
Another issue I found at KOV was tat when cornerin at speed wit te new airshocks the truck tended to lean over a hell of alot and sometimes i thought we were gonna roll off into oblivion :003: anyow, Dave Cole from Ultra 4 racin told me tat in te USA what they do to get round this is to block off one of the bleed holes, so today finally I ave had every shock off in turn, and tapped and threadlocked a machine screw in one of the bleed screws, havin taken it for a burn round the block, it definitly seems more steady goin round corners and roundabouts, I ave also reduced the amount of oil in them, goin back to stock, (for a softer spring rate) and increasin the nitrogen charge to keep the same ride height.
Cheapfest was really only my 2nd proppa go with it and I was impressed once again with its traction and articulation. I was hoping CB would post some vid up of me at the axle twistery bit in the furthest bit of wood :-)

exactly what I said  :003:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

nomadsz

« Reply #396 on: September 28, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »

should have mentioned, I have a seperate 24v system with its own alternator solely for the winches. this is wired through a charge lamp and a 12v (switched side )relay can't remember the exact wiring but it uses B+ and D+ off the 24v alternator and the light goes out when there is 24v goin to it up the neggy

Ohh my lights just love 24volts did i mention that?? :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

doublej

« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »

Im impressed you gave KOV a go - I know a few that need to enter next year. It shouldnt take a maxed rig to win. I'll even come codrive! :icon_super:

And funny enough - your rig is looking more and more like johnnys rig.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2012, 11:14:03 PM »

interestingly another team has swiped his co-driver
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up