Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sloppy steering, Upgrade needed  (Read 1298 times)

Cockney Boy

Sloppy steering, Upgrade needed
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »

Noticed that my steering needs some work on it as some of the joints have some play in them.

I'm going to use the Synergy ball joints for the hubs but I've been onto Steve at FTE and his steering upgrade still hasn't appeared yet. Any recommendations for uprated track bar and Panard rod joints?

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
Re: Sloppy steering, Upgrade needed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »

I may have an uprated panhard rod bush in my old panhard rod if you want it? its probably only got about 500 miles on it

robsrotti

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »

Some of the best joints on the market are Moog, you can get them from 4playjeep.com http://4playjeep.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=476

willo

• Guru
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

or you could try superpro, they will have em on the shelf and are uk based. Call Richard on 01823 690281

Cockney Boy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »

Cheers guys I be making a few calls later :)

Cockney Boy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »

I also spoke to Steve at FTE about his tummy tucker, he's still waiting for the prototype !!!!

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »

I don't know about Moog over here but in the US the consensus seems to be that they've gone to crap, and don't last too long nowadays. Don't know if UK Moog parts are made in the same place though.

Asylum

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »

I also spoke to Steve at FTE about his tummy tucker, he's still waiting for the prototype !!!!

If your wanting to raise your belly then I would reccomend this:
http://www.teraflex.biz/tj-wrangler-bellyup-skid-plate.html

Been running on mine for a number of years and is one of the best mods I done.

I did do a 1 inch engine lift at the same time because of the angle and I done a slip yoke eliminator conversion, advance adapters kit and  rubicon express double cardon short shaft.

I did a lot of research at the time actually and learnt from other experiance so done it all at the same time so never tried running the original drive shaft (dont know if thats your currant setup) but just about everybody had issue with vibrations andbreakages once belly tucked without doing the rest.

:greggmo:
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Cockney Boy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »

If your wanting to raise your belly then I would reccomend this:
http://www.teraflex.biz/tj-wrangler-bellyup-skid-plate.html

Been running on mine for a number of years and is one of the best mods I done.

I did do a 1 inch engine lift at the same time because of the angle and I done a slip yoke eliminator conversion, advance adapters kit and  rubicon express double cardon short shaft.

I did a lot of research at the time actually and learnt from other experiance so done it all at the same time so never tried running the original drive shaft (dont know if thats your currant setup) but just about everybody had issue with vibrations andbreakages once belly tucked without doing the rest.

:greggmo:

I like the idea of Steve's design as you can remove the belly pan without the need to support the TC with a Jack
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.358874760812805.93424.161293383904278&type=1

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »

Bet the Terraflex would be $$$$$$$ to import due to weight....

If you have mates that can cut 'n' stitch metal...can be done sooo cheap...

Did mine with 2 peices of 6mm plate and braced by rectangular section....... just a day with a grinder and a drill....

Welding was only needed to allow a 2" drop for my 2 transfer cases specifically the Dana 300.... otherwise good to go :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Or use tube if ya can cadge a bender ..... makes it light and then secure it to chassis with builder bushes.... same as shackle bushes really but sold for this purpose and to mount cages flexibly to chassis....etc.....

The later will be chosen path this winter..... and gaps will be covered using plastic equivalent of chopping board material........ super slidey stuff.

Cockney Boy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »

Jez are you open to some fluff and fabrication on mine?

Asylum

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »

Jez is right that the terraflex would be a a fair amount to import and fabrication the cheaper way by far. If I was to do again I would go the fabrication route but at the time as I got a bulk load of stuff from the states including suspension kit and SYE and short shaft plus loads of other bits the cost wasnt that bad. One thing I can say for it is its very strong though!

It would be nice to be able to have instant access to grease etc though  :017: I see a future mod on the horizon  :greggmo:

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »

Jez are you open to some fluff and fabrication on mine?

More then happy to mate.....just a question of logistics and time but sure we could come up with a plan :icon_biggrin:
Pages: [1]   Go Up