Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Cherokee CRD intermittant power loss, help please?  (Read 20829 times)

mrtibbs

Re: Grand Cherokee CRD intermittant power loss, help please?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 05:52:39 PM »

Thanks guys....:) I will give TCJ a call next week if my mate can't sort it, I am going to plug it into his £3K laptop system tomorrow :)
I'll let you know how I get on...

Keith

mrtibbs

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »

I got it plugged into a little code reader today and no faults showed  :jpshakehead:
I will get it plugged into a better machine tomorrow and see if anything shows itself...

Keith

dieselj20

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 06:07:25 PM »

had a similar fault on a 2.7 crd it turned out to be the hi presser fuel pump

mrtibbs

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »

OK my mates laptop collected the following information:

ECU       Code           Description
E8          P2015         Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Perf (Bank 1)

02   DTC that caused freeze frame data  =  P2015
04   Calculated Load Value                    =  48%
05   Engine Coolant Temperature            =  29.0 deg C
OB   MAP Sensor                                  =   120kPa
OC   Engine Speed                               = 1690 rpm
OD   Vehicle Speed                              =  44 MPH
OF    Intake Air Temperature                 = 11.0 deg C
10    MAF Sensor                                 = 42.2 g/s
23   Fuel Rail Pressure                          = 61930 kPa

I hope that this will mean something to someone and that they can help point to a possible cause. Maybe a bad connection or a broken device?
Thanks in advance.

Keith

Lukemagnum

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »

The intake manifold runner is a set of flaps on the intake which partially close at low revs to swirl the air to improve combustion.

Looks like yours are sticking partially closed restricting the air which explains lack of power.

As its intermittent they could be gummed up or worn, either way they need to be inspected.

A main agent will probably want to sell you a new set.

If it keeps repeating itself it will probably bring up the MIL lamp (Check Engine).

Hope this points you in the right direction.

mrtibbs

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »

Thanks for that Luke. Does anyone know how to get to these Intake Manifold Runners? Maybe someone has a picture showing where they are. I would like to pull them off and clean them up if possible.
Thanks in advance

Keith

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »

Hi Dutch
Stupid of me I guess, I should have said.... Not sure but I think it is a WK. It is a 2005 3.0 CRD, it is the newer (not the newest....) Grand with the Mercedes engine....

Keith

:017:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Lukemagnum

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »

I've got a manual for a 2006 Dodge Sprinter which has a section for the 3.0 CRD. It's got an exploded view of the manifolds and shows the IMR to be a small unit on top. If you've got to pull alot off to get to it it may be worth just replacing it if its not too expensive.

Let me know you want a copy, I'll email it.

The runners or swirl flaps fitted to diesels that I’m familiar with are butterfly valves for each port. The IMR here looks like the one fitted to petrol engines which work by effectively changing the volume of the intakes, so I can’t see how this one would restrict power at high revs. Maybe someone knows more about the Jeep ones?

mrtibbs

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »

Hi Luke
That is great thanks, a copy of that manual would be helpful (I think...) I will PM my email address.
The car is booked into our local Jeep Indie TCJ in Northampton for Dec 3rd for a check over. I hope that they find more than just the code that I already have otherwise it will be a waste of time and money. They did suggest today on the phone that it may not be the swirl motor, although that was the likely suspect, because there are so many other interrelated issues that could throw up that code.
I am not hopeful to be honest, as my luck is just not that good :)
I think it will end up being a swirl motor change and I think I will ask them about the "Elephant Hose Mod" and ask if they can do that while it is in.
Thanks all you guys for all the help and advice

Keith

mrtibbs

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »

Well I can report that the swirl motor was the issue and it has been replaced so now my Jeep runs beautifully and my wallet is seriously lighter... I have just returned from TCJ Services in Bunting Road Northampton http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/local/garage-services/ai_40976.php who did a wonderful job sorting out the problem, installing a new swirl motor and new breather hose with the new type seal and cleaned up all the dripped oil. Great service from guys that really understand Jeeps, and their labour charges are pretty reasonable too:)
Thoroughly recommend them to anyone.
Thanks to all of you that have contributed to this thread with replies, they are all thankfully received :)

Keith
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up