Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrangler YJ - 360ci AMC V8  (Read 15066 times)

Eclipsed4ever

Wrangler YJ - 360ci AMC V8
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »

Evening all. Just joined the site and thought I'd put up my YJ build which I'm currently spending all my time on.

It's a 93 YJ which was extensively modified before I bought it to roll on reconditioned Dana 60 axles, some massive johnny jointed 4 link suspension front and rear, 15" procomp shocks all round, brand new progressive coil springs, rock sliders, full CDS internal roll cage, tubular arches to match the axle width, new bucket seats with 4 point harnesses. I bought it like this, unfortunately with no engine/gearbox/props. I had previously bought a 1979 Cherokee Wagoneer which seemed to be quite a good donor. A proper AMC V8, for an all Jeep Wrangler  :greggmo:

Since I've picked the truck up I've made a fair bit of progress. The engine is now fitted on custom mounts in order to raise it up as high as I could get it to clear the front suspension links. I've mounted a brand new radiator and huge electric fan with silicon hoses and aluminium pipes. I've built half an exhaust system in 2.5" steel (havent decided on how I want the exits to look yet - all suggestions welcomed!). The gear linkage is now in place, as is the high/low ratio selection. I've replaced the high pressure fuel pump which came with the truck with a low pressure 'ticker' pump. I'll probably use a solid state facet pump at a later date. The engine is now all wired up and starts absolutely smack on the key - not bad for a 33 yr old! The brakes are being dealt by a dual servo master cylinder from a '96 (I think) Cherokee with flexible stainless hoses.

The next job is to bleed up the brakes so they're done and dusted. Following that I'm waiting on my mates hydraulic pullers so I can remove the two yokes from the axles and fit 1310x joint yokes instead. This will allow me to use the cherokee props (modified) until I can afford something a bit beefier. Once I've fitted some tyres I should be able to actually move it then  :icon_eek: Can't wait!

Before I had it:

Cockney Boy

Re: Wrangler YJ - 360ci AMC V8
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

I hate to say ths but that truck has history and a dubious past with a potential purchase. No doubt Wildwood and Warthog will bring you up to speed

robsrotti

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »

So that is where it has ended up. Was it you that had it up for sale on ebay?.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »

Fuck its history, dana 60's and a AMC 360  :icon_super:

Nice fenders as well  

Salutations mate, not many doods with them new fangled trucks have a proper engine so welcome to the elite engine owners  :greggmo:

Small point tho - it would look much better with round headlights  :003:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »

Thing is when Warthog and I looked it had a Dana 61 which was made with a high as in low numbers ratio for fuel economy And you can't. Get. Them down to 4.10 or into the 5.38 realms to run 40's
aT the time it had the engine .....dubious Dodge 318 that wouldn't run right and a monster 205 transfer case with 1.98 to 1 ratio......

But.......

You got the good bit...... The body suspension and a nice built cage........ Adding a Jeep FSJ guts it great....... Congratulations........ Hope you win with the axle ratios

And welcome to Birtys......... We like a good build...... Especially with the correct compliment of cylinders under the hood :icon_super:

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:24:23 PM »

Dubious past? Sounds interesting... No I wasn't the one with it on ebay, that was the guy I bought it off.

Anyone know who carried out the work on the suspension/cage as its been beautifully made?

lol cheers Bulldog, although personally, square lights rule  :wave-fingersmiely: You will be pleased to know I've bought another wagoneer as well - d'oh!

Ok so apparently wildwood posted now!

Whats the difference between a D60 and a D61? So it had a low ratio axle before - as in less pinion turns to more wheel turns? The guy I bought it off said it used to have a Chevy in it, but I'm not sure if he ever saw it or he was just going on what he was told? Probably the latter...

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »

tell me about the waggy dood? keeper or breaker?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

Keeper for now - it's got 3 months test left, no tax. Good runner, LPG conversion, high/low ratio transfer box. Underneath is solid, body is a little...um... tasty in places but largely its not bad. The rear window even goes up and down! Unfortunately it's on pants tyres but they're legal. If it snows, its being taxed and coming out for a play!  :icon_twisted:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »

Dodge 316 when we saw it and he said 360 cam.....which we found. Out makes it run like a dog unless you do a bucket of other stuff.
dana61 and the running gear came from a Landranger ......a. Failure of a UK project vehicle done in the 80's
Probably 3.? To 1 ratio for economy...... Problem is most Dana 60's have the breakpoint at 4.10 down and 4.56 up
Ad can go as low as 7. 0 to 1 ratio although 5.38 or 5.13 is mathematically good for 40" tyres.
The rear is OK as it is a normal 60.....
We went to see it up the A1 can't remember the place but. They also have an army second hand vehicle centre next door. warthog will tell you the guys name.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »

Ah right. Well that could prove interesting once its up on its wheels then.  :steeringwheel:

Was that the guy that built it you went to see?

UKJeeper

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:40:16 PM »

tell me about the waggy dood? keeper or breaker?

Here we go.... sniff sniff sniff.....  :jpshakehead:

:hysterical:

UKJeeper

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »

At least it's red!  :icon_super:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »

Keeper for now - it's got 3 months test left, no tax. Good runner, LPG conversion, high/low ratio transfer box. Underneath is solid, body is a little...um... tasty in places but largely its not bad. The rear window even goes up and down! Unfortunately it's on pants tyres but they're legal. If it snows, its being taxed and coming out for a play!  :icon_twisted:

well dont go smashing this one up with a JCB  :003: but if you do - I most definitely want the LPG  :greggmo:

a waggy is the one AMC jeep yet to own

Green Jeep

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »

Welcome,

Awesome build, keep us posted.

Cheers Maf

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »

Dave lea bought this yj to rob the engine, tyres geabox and some drivetrain bits. It had a dana 61 then and still has now. He knew nothing about the cars history then, but has managed to palm it off to you, if you can make it work, well done, could be a great truck.. Part from the headlights being the wrong shape :-)

Tragic

• Guru
  • Vehicle: A proper Jeep!
  • Year: 1993
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »

square lights rule  :wave-fingersmiely:

You, Sir, speak the truth :icon_super:
Welcome to the 'Elite' Birty squadron :003:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »

:iagree: you can't beat them and they don't roll off things and break when you take them out.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »

:iagree: square lights not only look better but they're more user friendly  :icon_biggrin:

Small update on the wrangler...

- Now finished all water pipes, filled with water + antifreeze, no leaks.
- Made a large part of the exhaust system. I'm keeping the two banks seperate firstly 'cause it's cool and secondly because there's hardly any room to join them together anyway. I have put a silencer in each half which has taken the edge off it but it is still quite loud. Only got the section under the bed left to made but a I'll just make it straight through and see if it's bearable for now.
- Connected up all brake pipes and bled up as required. No leaks first time  :icon_biggrin:
- Connected up shifter cable. I'm using the shift stick which came with the truck. It's nice and compact and well positioned. Would of liked to of kept the column shift from the cherokee but hey ho.
- Put some olf tyres I had lieing around on and checked the rear axle ratio. I think its a little over 4 so it's pointing to 4.1 which would make sense for the D60.
- Made and fitted the rear prop. I've just cut down the original cherokee one for now. The 1310x yokes make this super easy once I could finally pull the old dastard off. The rear was seriously tight, had to steal my mates hydraulic pullers which struggled! I've yet to decide on the front prop. It's going to be pretty long so I was thinking of finding another cherokee rear, although I don't have a massive amount of room, so the diameter can't be too big. For now, she's just a 360 RWD  :icon_twisted:
- The high/low ratio selector is in and connected up.

Now the brakes/water/fuel/exhaust is all largely completed, it may be time to pull her out of the shed for the first time this weekend. Will get an idea of the performance and gearing then, and of course make some noise/V8 music  :icon_super:

willo

• Guru
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »

a front prop off a cj auto maybe your friend, nice and long and quite skinny too, I think Bullfrog may have one

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »

cheers willo, I'll get on his case...

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »

Well I'm hitting a bit of a wall at the moment. I had the truck running the other day the best it's run so far, when it backfired from the intake and stopped instantly. Since then I've been unable to get it to run properly. It just splutters and pops and bangs.

I firstly found that the distributer had chewed it's drive up causing it to only turn intermittently so I think this is what probably caused the initial back fire. I've now fitted another and retimed it all up and I'm confident this is correct.

It seems to be constantly overfueling. If I dry everything out, empty the carbs except a small bit of fuel, it will start and run then conk out as it runs out of fuel. As soon as I fill the carb it very quickly just bogs down and stops. If I pull the plugs out they're all always wet with fuel.

I'm not particularly experienced with carbs but is it possible something could of been damaged when it backfired when the dizzy failed?

Any help/advice much appreciated as it's doing my (Christmas) tree in now!

j33pky

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »

what carb does it have? 2 or 4 barrel?   how have you set the timming right without getting it to run?  you can only get it close by statically timming it.  is carb new or old one?

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »

It's got a Holley Truck Avenger fitted to it. When I say correct, only as far as I can get it without it running properly, i.e, TDC on compression stroke coincides with spark as well as possible. With only a small fit of fuel allowed into the carb, it starts and runs OK so I don't think it can be far off. It's when you allow more fuel to the carb it will bog down and stop on tickover. It will then just turn over and not start unless you apply throttle, which will sometimes get it to start. It is a second hand carb but preceeding the original back fire through the intake, it run really well. Started smack.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 11:35:56 PM »

Is it running standard fuel pump and inline filter between it and the  carb itself.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:13 PM »

Low pressure ticker pump with inline filter...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up