Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrangler YJ - 360ci AMC V8  (Read 15067 times)

Panic mechanic!

Re: Wrangler YJ - 360ci AMC V8
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »

has the filter got the built in return to the tank ie 1 large inlet and 1 same diameter and 1 smaller diameter at the other end?

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 12:24:30 AM »

Um nope. It's just straight through?

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 12:29:16 AM »

sounds like the pump is too strong for the needle valves and hence forcing fuel pass them,hence the flooding engine you need to swap to a filter with the 3 outlets I think

something like this

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 08:55:57 AM »

and order 2 of the buggers
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

jeepcj

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »

after you have sorted the fuel filter and return, check the fuel pump pressure, holley carb will want 5psi, but will tolerate 4-7.
I would eliminate 1 thing at a time.
Eclipsed4ever When are you trialing next with the awdc?, I did see you at West harptree the other day, I trial the red CJ7 and also run a amc 360 and holley truck avenger carb. My truck avenger pretty good off road, but I have picked up a second hand Rochester q/jet carb, once I have an addapter for the square bore intake I am going to give this a go, they are supposed to be a great carb off road
1978 CJ7, 360, q/trac, dana 44s, insas
1966 CJ5, F-134, T90, D18, super swampers

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »

Is the tank and pump still the YJ electric in-tank one ???

Cos a carb needs under 10 psi and the YJ pump supplies about 35 or more psi for its fuel injection.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »

Annoyingly I can't find my pressure gauge yet so I'm yet to check what pressure I'm getting. The only thing I don't get if it is the pump, is how did it run fine before it backfired? It would start first turn over every time and quite happily sit there idling (I was in the process of fixing water leaks so hadn't got as far as revving it much). Anyway it's something I still need to check. As a matter of course I've ordered a rebuild kit for my truck avenger so I can rebuild it, that way I'll be happy that it's fine.

It's not the original YJ pump willwood. The trucks got a tank mounted in the pickup tub and I've mounted a low pressure 'ticker' pump externally as a temporary measure. It's annoyingly loud so I was going to replace it with a facet solid state pump when I get chance.

Ah that was you was it Jeepcj. I did notice you driving round. I was going to come over for a bit of a mooch but then they split the groups up  :banghead: I've not heard of that carb? Where'd you find that from? You have to do much to set up your avenger? What gearbox/transfer box you using and how do you find your gearing?

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »

So many questions!!!!

Lets concentrate on the engine first and foremost....
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »

electric pumps were designed to  feed multiple carbs or injections systems so altho you can fit them along with a pressure regulator they are seldom ideal for a single carb, they are not really variable like a mechanical pump that pumps relative to  engine speed.
As to  it idling fine , you probably did not realise that while it appeared to be doing that it was in fact overfueling hence the  wet plugs,eventually it just becomes to much for the engine to deal and it becomes lumpy  and or then backfires.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »

My Iroks would fit nicely - but they're not getting abused by the V8. Think I should get away with anything upto 40"s  :icon_biggrin:

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »

6 BOLT!!

I have some wheels here kicking about, would take £15gbp each if your interested?

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »

Unfortunately the axles are 8 bolt  :icon_sad: The wheel is only leant up against it.

Everything else I have is 6 bolt though, I'll send ya a pm...

Yea thats quite possible panic. Just trying to find one of the 3 outlet filters. Hopefully I can find my pressure gauge then and get a correct fuel pressure to try. Really want to get her up and running over the xmas break!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 10:18:37 PM »

i hope to be proved wrong but i reckon the backfire has had sex with ya carb

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 10:33:21 PM »

lol. As much as I'm hoping it could be excessive fuel pressure, I have a feeling you may be correct... but I hope your wrong  :icon_rolleyes:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »

Quadrajets are great offroad....... Sometimes called hillbilly fuel injection....... Can be run reversed apparently this helps with fuelling offroad.....

Even tho most SBC V8s will need no more than 600 CFM carbs the Quadrajets is rated at 800 (I think)? So good for a SBC or 500ci of caddy mill...... The trick is that they are vacuum controlled so it will only supply what the vacuum of the engine requires......therefore no over fuelling......

As usual just my 2 cents worth....... :icon_super:

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

Slap fule injection on it!!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »

And with Megajolt and Megasquirt being cheap DIY and computer modifyable......there is no reason not to embrace it.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »

Injection is certainly a possibility although I was hoping to keep everything simple with 1 good carb. This is my first real carb motor I've had any dealings with and so far it's been a bit of an arse. I'd much prefer injection. I will give it a little more tinkering time though.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »

Tinley Tech.....house of Propane LPGinjection....... Basically turns any motor into propane injection and forget the unleaded bit........maybe you answer then........ Just a ring and bits on top of ya carb and your sniffing LPG.....

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »

That sounds just like whats on top of my Wagoneer. Thats just a different intake bolted to the top of the standard carb with a mixer and hey presto!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2012, 09:31:47 PM »

More anorak info I picked up from Feck nose where :hysterical:

LPG on 360 AMC......

10 degree advance timing..... Remove vacuum advance hose...
Cooler spark plugs..
IMPCO 42.5 Carb 394 CFM

hope this helps... :icon_super:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 03:22:11 PM »

impco is the best route short of proper injection

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »

Still struggling with this thing  :icon_rolleyes:

Since my last update:
-Checked fuel pressure, all OK.
-Rebuilt carb with rebuild kit.
-Checked dizzy timing again, seems fine.
-Tonight checked the timing chain as apparently american V8's suffer with these as there's no tensioner. Annoyingly, it seems fine (see below).
-Next... um? The skip if it keeps it up!  :011:

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »

Well I've finally made progress. I've been on holiday for a week skiing in Canada which gave me a break as I was almost ready to set light to the damn thing.  :die:

However... I had a tinker yesterday. I've put the front of the engine back on following checking the timing. All new gaskets so it's one less thing to worry about in the future. I had a thought on the plane (which is going to be quite obvious in a minute) that when my dizzy died originally and it caused the backfire, well since then I've only tried the engine with a dizzy from an engine which I've never had running. Well I have now replaced the timing gear on he crankshaft, and the timing gear which was chewed up on the dizzy. I refitted the dizzy yesterday and mirraculously... ITS ALIVE!  :jump_125: Blues

She runs pretty smooth again like she did before, although it does idle a little high and doesn't rev much. This will probably be just setting up timing and the carb. Finally I can get on with it again!  :003:

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »

Now she's running I've put all the nose back on, bled up the water system and filled with fluids.

For the first time she's moved under her own power out of the shed  :greggmo:

Now it runs and moves, the next list of jobs...
- find a wiring diagram to connect up gauges although I might fit some aftermarket ones I have here (off my single seater but I never use them).
- wiring diagram for the alternator and connect up.
- find something to make the front prop from.
- install a fan switch and wire up fan. I've contemplated just reintalling the viscous fan... any thoughts?
- find some tyres that are bigger than rollerskates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up