Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrangler YJ - 360ci AMC V8  (Read 15247 times)

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
Re: Wrangler YJ - 360ci AMC V8
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »

I did say the lock rings are beat-up, hope they work for you.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »

They weren't actually that bad. Just surface corrosion mainly on two of them. They soon cleaned up anyways. I've no doubt they're not going to look clean/tidy for long!

Looking forward to getting her in the mud!

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2013, 09:23:08 PM »

ACE!

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2013, 07:47:23 PM »

After a slight oversight I had to order some new wheelnuts for the alloys. 32 US 1/2" Mag nuts later and I was back in business...

Things are a little tight past the rear springs and the front is a pretty good fit. I've bought some spacers to sort the rear out but for CF she should be fine. I'll just try and stay away from too many cross axles.

I've also finished off the soft top, had a play with the carb (seems better on hills but yet to be completely convinced), fiddled with the gear linkage as I struggle to select '1' although I'm sure it used to?!

Very much looking forward to having a blast at cheapfest this weekend  :greggmo:

See you all there!

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »

HUBBA HUBBA looking like its in the blocks. 

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »

What carb are you running, I've had my MC2100 at some pretty obscure angles without issue. I did however have an issue with fuel pickup and starvation if left at an angle for too long with a non full tank. Fixed this by running a commercial diesel style fuel filter up by the engine, this gives me around 1 litre at all times.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »

Um, Its a 4 barrel Holley at the moment. Not had any problems on side slopes or up hill. It was flooding on steep downhills though. I've lowered the float slightly now and I think it's a little better. My pump sucks right from the middle of the tank so it does get most of it out before giving up. Unfortunately that doesn't always take long with the V8!

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2013, 05:11:03 PM »

We had a good day out at cheapfest the other week. It was good to meet some of you and put some names to faces.

Anyways... on the day things largely went well. The new tyres catch the rear springs slightly and on full lock they just catch the front arms. I've now fitted some 30mm spacers to the rear which should solve this. The fronts arn't too bad but once I've sorted a few other bits and pieces I'll buy some more for the front.

My biggest concern has been the persistent ATF leak. I've narrowed down the constant leak to the sump gasket. I've put a new gasket on already but this doesn't seem to of solved it. It's also had quite a severe leak whenever the truck is on a steep uphill so yesterday I decided I'd had enough, so I pulled the transfer box out and found this:

There is no gasket between the quadratrac and the th400 adapter which seemed a little strange, although I thought maybe this area isn't 'wet' anyway. After removing the adapter I found this:

Now I've never really looked at the output of a TH400 but on first investigation I thought the casting had been broken. Hey presto, thats why it leaks like a sieve! To make sure I checked out my spare TH400 but alas, that was exactly the same. With the casting in the shape it was, I could see that the area between the adapter and the quadratrac was indeed wet. I knocked up a gasket with some gasket paper and fitted that but when testing yesterday this doesn't seem to of worked. With all the covers off though I could clearly see this was exactly where it was coming from though. I plan on swapping the transfer box with my spare as I don't have a good record with new gaskets!

Another issue I've hopefully bottomed out is the centre difflock not staying in. I figured as it's vacuum operated, when the vacuum drops, i.e engine load rising and falling, it may of been letting off of the difflock. For this reason I've now fitted a one way valve so once the vacuum has built up, it should be held.

Lastly I've welded up the rusty hole in the torque converter cover. Should help stop blowing the oil drip over everything!

I did have a bit of a play whilst 'testing' yesterday to  :icon_biggrin: It would seem the carb is much more forgiving now. Downhill there was no spluttering at all. Only on a very steep uphill whilst giving it some welly did I manage to get a hesitation. Some more tweaking required...

I love driving this thing!  :icon_twisted:

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »

HUBBA HUBBA!!!

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »

:iagree:    What a beast!!

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »

looking good and dare I mention windscreen washers  :icon_winkle:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »

Lol yea washers are on the list still. I've got the bottle and pump, just need to fit it! Will be there before the next event!

I also forgot to post these...

Ooo there was someone (sorry I don't know who) who got some photos in the same hole as the third one above after they pulled me out (d'oh). Just wondering if they could send them me/post on here?

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »

V8 burble :icon_super:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

j33pky

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »

Do you remember what that is? :greggmo:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2013, 06:22:43 PM »

I shall tell Jim u said that :icon_eek:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

j33pky

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »

:010:

Tragic

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: A proper Jeep!
  • Year: 1993
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »

Last time I saw a red YJ do that, I left my rear prop behind........ :banghead:

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »

Thankfully I've not left too many bits behind... yet.

Has anyone made a roof that joins nicely to the windscreen/doors yet? I don't think my soft top is going to last very well and as I haven't got the frame for it there are gaps above the doors. I was thinking of cutting off the two bars the roof goes to at the moment, then mount them against the door seals to both protect the door and make a roof line.

I haven't decided if I should make an aluminium room and bolt it down - this will also cause problems with not being able to weld any edges  :icon_rolleyes: Or, I could make a sheet steel roof and then I can weld any edges, it's just a bit more ugly.

Any advice peeps?

jay140285

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »

It was me! I pulled you out.

That's right folks the Old XJ on its last outing (replaced with ZJ now) pulled out this beast.

PM me your email address and I will see what pics I got.

Steve my co pilot got some as will, I will get them.

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »

Lol. Yes I can confirm that to be correct! Much obliged Jay!

Does anyone know what the small hole+gulley are for on the input face of the transfer box is for? It's to the bottom left of the input as shown on the photo. I suspect this is where I'm getting oil pissing out of with the truck facing up hill. Is it some sort of overflow or something?

My gasket would appear to of sealed all the way around the main round chamber which makes me think this must be where it was coming from. Depending on what it is I was contemplating ramming a bolt up it? #bodge

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »

Well I thought stuff it earlier so I tapped the hole, and rammed a bolt up it with some locktite. Refitted the transfer box and went for a spin... NO LEAKING!

Alas, I did find another weak spot...

So thought I best do something about it...

Hopefully that will last until I get round to converting to full hydro steer - something that she desperately needs!

Oh and a bit of playing before I bent the steering arm:

5536paulj

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »

Hi, just read this, you'll find that the qtrac box has two seals on the gearbox side, one to keep the ATF in the box, the other to keep qtrac fluid in the qtrac case, you've probably got a bad seal on the gearbox side, the hole is between the two seals and in event of a leak stops fluid cross contamination by dripping, you may now get ATF in your qtrac which may cause a problem later. Mine does same thing, plan to change the seal next time the qtrac is out.... It's very easy to damage the seal when you put the qtrac onto the humongous th400 output shaft.

Sorry to be a bit late, I would take that bolt out or change the seal, internal parts for qtracs are rare if you damage something like the clutch cones, just trying to help, not be a smart ass after the event
PJ

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »

Hi PJ

Not at all, any advice much appreciated! When I was tapping it I noticed that it went through to by the seals so I sort of guessed it might be a tell tale or something. It's good to have it confirmed though, at least I know what I'm up against now. At least it's a reasonably easy job to get the Tx out.

Are either/both the seals swapped from the outside in, or the inside out of the quadratrac?

Does anyone know if lighthouse would keep service parts for a quadra trac? Or anyone else?

5536paulj

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2013, 11:38:14 PM »

From what I can remember you can put both seals in from outside the case, remember the seals face in different directions to keep the right oil in the right place, drift the inner one just past the hole and the outer one not too far in so it doesn't block the hole.
Lighty's do a qtrac gasket and seal kit which isn't pricey that has the seals in. If you want a laugh ask them how much for a genuine morse chain for a qtrac, I think they only have one, and nobody makes them any more, so it could be the last one in the uk, maybe the world!
Suggest you phone a friend to help you put the qtrac back without damaging the seal or guide it on with some really long bolts attached to the adapter, this is all in the fsm for jeep fsj's, in the qtrac section, not that obvious if you don't know about it.
Don't chase your tail trying to stop th400s leaking, unless the ATF is pouring out, not worth the effort IMHO, they love to leak.
Good luck, love the jeep by the way

Eclipsed4ever

« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2013, 04:15:27 PM »

Good stuff. Cheers for the info. Although, "...this is all in the fsm for jeep fsj's, in the qtrac section, not that obvious if you don't know about it..." where is this?

Seal kit ordered from lighthouse, £17 or something. Should have the leak bottomed out next week  :icon_winkle: I'll be setting up a trial with her next weekend then so hopefully all will be leak free.

So now the mystery leak has been identified... next I'm thinking washers, spring retainers (try and stop the banging every time they dislocate on the front, its proper annoying), maybe some roof? Oh and some rear lights/indicators when I get round to it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up