Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Winching upgrades or not?????  (Read 13392 times)

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Winching upgrades or not?????
« on: February 19, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »

After looking at bling winches at Donington at the weekend.....by mind has been swayed by certain bits that might be of use.....or not?????

1.  Switch to plasma...? A good idea on a 8274, the proponents say yes..... And Tis virtually essential on a challenge,
So I am told....

2. After an evening of anorak research.....came across www.delta-tek.co.uk for air release free spooling drum. the videos and how to fit sell the product big time and now I don't have an ARB in front I have spare ARB solenoid and air to make it work.
This drum mod will make plasma obligatory so together not a cheap mod.....but being a lover of effective engineering and stuff that makes like easier I am sore tempted :icon_twisted:

3.   Am throwing this in. As a devil sitting on yer shoulder type of thing.....
For less wedge I could fit a cable equipped superwinch on the back?????

and so ends my lunchtime brainfart give us yer thoughts......anyone got air release drum????. cos of the cost this might just not happen immediately or soon after :hysterical:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: Winching upgrades or not?????
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »

Having just got an 8274 and planning an air system I'd be interested in this air freespool system (depending on price, it might have to wait).

Have also just seen the price of long plasma for the 8274  :icon_eek:

Rear winch is handy but they don't seem to get loads and loads of use so I'm pondering if it's worth it?  :017:

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

How strange, I have been looking at them as a club member here has one allegedly - will have a gander and report back. Could be a group buy option!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »

£399  for the drum
£299 for the plasma.

outch

cuffm

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: XJ
  • Year: 1998
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »

Nick from Delta-Tek is very nice guy with second to none customer service, I was an earlier adopter of his 8274 freespool, very well made and reliable. As part of Jeep rebuild I'm swapping short drum for 3" extended drum version plus  I am also replacing my rear TDS with a wide drum 8274, if front winch dies I want to be able to move rear to rear. Very highly recommended. For info, if anybody is thinking of an 8274 I'm selling a TJ 8274 custom bumper and possibly a Warn XP motor that will speed up an 8274.

Cuffy

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »

All challenges run to MSA regs will not let you run steel, only plasma so its down to where you want to run

seen the freespool and its seems to work ok

rear winch lets you do lots of extra stuff but does change the class you run in  :icon_winkle:

short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »

I think Big Patrol had a freespool on his TJ he will be able to tell you if its any good :icon_winkle:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »

At that price it will have to be added to my list of nice-to-haves. I can get my Jeep to where I want it for the price of that freespool.

robsrotti

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »

I will be the devil  :icon_twisted: on your shoulder. Buy a Red Winch Hornet, you know you want to. They are sooooooo nice, I want  i want i want

Cockney Boy

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:33:38 AM »

I will be the devil  :icon_twisted: on your shoulder. Buy a Red Winch Hornet, you know you want to. They are sooooooo nice, I want  i want i want

Say bye bye to fishing gear Rob oh and a Kidney

Dodster

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 08:13:20 PM »

Imho..I reckon you will want both..but you willl need a rear winch before you need a freespool..
A freespool is great on a timed section or if your bitch has just waded through 3ft of shite and scarmbled 20ft up a bank to get you hooked up.. :icon_super:  .
But there has been a couple of times at West Harptree where I would never have been able to get a punch without a rear winch even with someone behind with a front winch, and again the wrong line and where I ended up meant a rear winch would get me out quickly but more so, I recently went in too deep, couldnt get out and had to wait 10mins for someone to pull me out cos my rear winch had packed in..in the meantime everything got full of kack while I waited, whereas if the rear was working I couldve just pulled myself out quick and saved some bits and fluids..A rear winch does put you up a class though as Steve said..
My tanners worth..

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »

Sooooo. lunchtime project...... :icon_biggrin: Found some poly pipe and repaired my On Board Air system so it doesn't leak...... Run a line to my ARB solenoid and all is sweet.......

only prob? :hysterical: No ARB on the front since I went 1 Tonne....Detroit down there... :jpshakehead:

looks like I may just have to go Air free spool....... :icon_super: Getting addicted to fine engineering solutions

Although appreciate what you say about rear winch.......got nose down in the goop at CF and needed a winch out from Willo......

here's a head up on a good system......Saley winches..... look like an 8274 but serious hydraulic off your Crank via a dog clutch..... As fast as a GP but maybe more bulletproof....

Sadly no website but lots of chatter on the web should you choose to google :icon_twisted:

willo

• Guru
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »

I run air free spool front and rear. The difference is like chalk and cheese. I could never go back.

Gigglepin invented the freespool and they sell them as a direct bolt on to you existing 8274. Very easy to fit and all self contained. Give Jim a call on 01732463600.

As for rope I use david Bowyers bowrope, in 11mm if you look after it and wash it after every event it will last, its a bit cheaper than plasma too.

Saley winches are great as long as you appreciate the load that is on them as unlike an electric motor you won't hear when it is straining

willo

• Guru
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »

How many of u want to buy a freespool drum? I will ask the question

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »

£399 on the bay from Delta Tek so any few squid off that much appreciated......

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »

here's a head up on a good system......Saley winches..... look like an 8274 but serious hydraulic off your Crank via a dog clutch..... As fast as a GP but maybe more bulletproof....

Sadly no website but lots of chatter on the web should you choose to google :icon_twisted:

Extra tank (for oil) tubes all over the place, coolers and when a leak happens you can't see shit for the mess!!!!!

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »

The only trouble with hydro winches is if you get stuck and the engine dies you are fooked.

I saw this at the weekend, Landy V8 failed to climb out of a muddy hole, cos he was vertical no fuel to the carb so V8 cut out

No power to winches, he had to dive in and get someone to winch him back but in the meantime all of the oil had run out of his V8

Was not a happy bunny, but if he had leccy winches they would have worked till the battery/ batteries died
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »

I will be going rear winch soon  :greggmo:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »

Yup..... 8 years of dependable but....SLOW milemarker.....and I am now a leccy convert........don't come cheap tho...... Hot rodding 8274s and all..... :hysterical: :icon_super:

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »

Yup..... 8 years of dependable but....SLOW milemarker.....and I am now a leccy convert........don't come cheap tho...... Hot rodding 8274s and all..... :hysterical: :icon_super:

Good man...

cleggy

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »

Just got myself a Delta Tek freespool just fitting it at the moment for this years playin.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »

Let us know if its as easy as the video clip makes out.......and if you had to do any spacing type things to get smoooothoperation.....

Hope it goes well :icon_super:

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »

Just got myself a Delta Tek freespool just fitting it at the moment for this years playin.

Let me know how you get on with it....

cuffm

• Guru
  • Vehicle: XJ
  • Year: 1998
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »

Cleggy,

does this mean you are delaying body tub replacement?

Cuffy

cleggy

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »

No its next years project the tub, looks like im staying with the jeep engine carnt afford to go LS and ATLAS :icon_sad: so just collecting parts(new wheels, tyres,just got some spare axles)just need to find an auto box which auto you going with.Somthing like this with minimal body work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up