Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Winching upgrades or not?????  (Read 13394 times)

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
Re: Winching upgrades or not?????
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 08:07:18 AM »

No its next years project the tub, looks like im staying with the jeep engine carnt afford to go LS and ATLAS :icon_sad: so just collecting parts(new wheels, tyres,just got some spare axles)just need to find an auto box which auto you going with.Somthing like this with minimal body work.

Diablo do a weld to the chassis frame, looks like my Buggy from the top - worth a look!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »

Get a bomber fab chassis

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »

project Loose change will be based loosely on that tube concept :icon_super:

MOCAJ's tub....dice and slice..
TJ chassis ....I got.....more cut and weigh in
Tube bender
Some CDS......
metal glue

Lot of time.......spent plagiarising Pirate........ Tis built in me head......just can't drive it :jpshakehead:

cuffm

• Guru
  • Vehicle: XJ
  • Year: 1998
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 06:56:21 PM »

Cleggy,

At some point I'll start a build thread when I take some decent pics and have more time. Regarding the gearbox, initially I was intending to go down the AW4 route however eventually opted for a TH350, passing on the AW4 plus all the bits to fit AW4 to a TJ to Willo - we've been trading bits on and off for a while. Now lots of folks are going to say fitting a TH350 to 4.0L I6 is a stupid thing to do, however: 1) at somepoint I may choose to go with a Chevvy Engine, 2) Stroke the 4.0L (I have a complete Cherry to play with), 3) the TH350 is a good deal shorter than the AW4, 4) its stronger, 5) doesn't rely upon electrics or need extra bits to force it to stay in 1 or 2.  I also thought about going down the Diablo route or similar, even got as far as pricing up shipping a Diablo to the UK, however: 1) its very expensive compared with buying tube locally and doing your own thing, 2) we doubted there would be any weight saving especially if we opted for large diameter tube or if we needed to strength it, 3) rear would require a lot of tweaking. So we've opted to tray back TJ, not sure about the front at the mo. By we, I mean Martin Lewis and myself, Martin is the guy who started the  whole trayback thing in the UK, I'm luck enough to live about 5 minutes away.  There will be alot of other stuff that will be unique to a UK Jeep, its already sporting a custom 3 link + panhard front suspension, relocated steering box that allowed us to meet one of our design objectives, 37" will stick out about 1" to 2" in front of Jeep.  Jeep build is a huge project (all kicked off by Willo finding me a pair of Teraflex HP CRD60s), one thats already give me some sleeplist nights and no doubt alot more, one that will progress slowly during the year, one that relies upon the expertise of UK folks such as Andy W who been retubing the D60s (thanks Andy, work is really appreciated) and some US suppliers who are very interested in what I'm upto - they've been offering great advice and very good pricing.

Cuffy   

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »

Not forgeting the fooook who started this whole thing off 2005....

cleggy

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »

James Sunderland will be doing my work but he needs to finish Dannys (Big Patrol) first and see how it performs at KOV fingers crossed

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »

Cleggy,

At some point I'll start a build thread when I take some decent pics and have more time. Regarding the gearbox, initially I was intending to go down the AW4 route however eventually opted for a TH350, passing on the AW4 plus all the bits to fit AW4 to a TJ to Willo - we've been trading bits on and off for a while. Now lots of folks are going to say fitting a TH350 to 4.0L I6 is a stupid thing to do, however: 1) at somepoint I may choose to go with a Chevvy Engine, 2) Stroke the 4.0L (I have a complete Cherry to play with), 3) the TH350 is a good deal shorter than the AW4, 4) its stronger, 5) doesn't rely upon electrics or need extra bits to force it to stay in 1 or 2.  I also thought about going down the Diablo route or similar, even got as far as pricing up shipping a Diablo to the UK, however: 1) its very expensive compared with buying tube locally and doing your own thing, 2) we doubted there would be any weight saving especially if we opted for large diameter tube or if we needed to strength it, 3) rear would require a lot of tweaking. So we've opted to tray back TJ, not sure about the front at the mo. By we, I mean Martin Lewis and myself, Martin is the guy who started the  whole trayback thing in the UK, I'm luck enough to live about 5 minutes away.  There will be alot of other stuff that will be unique to a UK Jeep, its already sporting a custom 3 link + panhard front suspension, relocated steering box that allowed us to meet one of our design objectives, 37" will stick out about 1" to 2" in front of Jeep.  Jeep build is a huge project (all kicked off by Willo finding me a pair of Teraflex HP CRD60s), one thats already give me some sleeplist nights and no doubt alot more, one that will progress slowly during the year, one that relies upon the expertise of UK folks such as Andy W who been retubing the D60s (thanks Andy, work is really appreciated) and some US suppliers who are very interested in what I'm upto - they've been offering great advice and very good pricing.

Cuffy

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »

phill walkers old cj10a had got all the parts you need by the sounds of your plans

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

cuffm

• Guru
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »

Bubba,

Have you heard something about Phil's CJ10a being for sale, last I knew was its been parked up along with hist TJ.

Cleggy,

So are you planning to build something that's going to be KOV competitive? I noticed that you bought some 2" fox shocks and air bumps? So what tyres did you go for? The inspiriration for alot of my build has come from the SAVVY build thread on Pirate, a competition winning Jeep on coils. Believe me, I seriously thought about air shocks and coilovers but eventually opted with good old coils as it allows me easily swap shocks / simpler to tune / cheaper / harder to break (famous last words), just trying to working whether to order 3.5" or 5.5" dual rate coils from Metalcloak. Very interested in hearing your plans and thoughts.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1016359-savvy-currie-sfr-koh-stock-class-jeep-teaser.html

Mike C

willo

• Guru
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »

mike that savvy car got spanked by a landrover, so maybe not the best to copy

cuffm

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »

Willo,

I was waiting for you to bring it up, in my defence a Land Rover running good old coils, a Land Rover that probably crewed by one the best teams in the country. 

Mike C

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »

Back to winches :icon_twisted:....

Got the air free spool drum on the 8274...... Almost buttoned up just need to alter the air connectors to a size larger to fit their pipe .....

BUT........
Lots of different prices for 30metres of 11mm Dyna rope on the net..... Devon seem very pricey but maybe Tis the best???? Other people I have my eyes on supply 30 metres  of 11mm with hook and fair lead for £166...... I'll have to live with yellow tho :hysterical:

What's ya view guys....... I Know less that zilch about this magic string stuff :icon_super:

willo

• Guru
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »

bowrope from david bowyer

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »

bowrope from david bowyer

Indeed that works.

willo

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »

also got a feeling Dan at Wrex racing has an offer on Plasma 12 strand

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »

See Dutch's description of synthetic rope from his work perspective - it's basically all the same stuff was the conclusion I came to. I've been considering the Chinese / Hong Kong suppliers on ebay - a big risk that they could send silly string in an envelope I suppose but I've always done ok ordering from China/HK.

willo

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »

best bang for your buck in the uk is bowrope, wash it after every outing in clean water and jobs a goodun, and like dutch said keep it out of uv's way when not in use

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »

Cheers guys....was tempted to go cheap but need 125 foot not the usual 98 fot or 30 metres
As the drum is smaller diameter than the original 8274 there is room for 150foot .....but gonna have to stop at 125 .......£££££££ too many :jpshakehead:

thorna

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »

Let me know how you get on sourcing the rope, I need to crack on with
My 8274 rebuild and get some string; looked at hand carrying it back
From the us but price didn't seem that much better.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »

There are some longer lengths of 10mm on ebay, I was looking at 50m of 10mm for an 8274. 10mm dyneema bowrope has been fine for me up to now but 11mm or bigger seems to be the trend for challenge trucks.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »

Got it all connected and working at lunchtime today....... I don't know why I'm so surprised but really works well and quickly and ....... After 2 years have a use for my ARB air solenoid....
 :hysterical:
Magic string then next month
Here are some prices....

Wrex Racing £294 to include a hawse
Goodwinch £309 also to include a hawse....both are 125 foot and 11mm

E- bay special £166 includes hawse and only 100 foot and 11mm

See how my wallet feels next month........ :icon_biggrin:

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »

OMG!!! Then one needs to find a lady-of-the-night!!   

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »

Boys,

If there are a number of you needing bits of string maybe think outside the box.

Said bit of string practically all come out of the same factory and then marketed by ,...... string merchants.

It all comes on drums @ 100 or 200 or longer  metres but you pay thru the nose to aforementioned middle men to cut it orf and stick a hook on.

I'll do a bit of research for ya, maybe Willo ...also a yachtie can add.

I'll open the dance with .... and check out the pics  :icon_super:

http://www.liros.com/en/products/offroad.html

I will add as and when I find them. :icon_winkle:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »

Group Buy???

Fooook knows I have enough of this kicking about but will assist in this.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »

Need enough to fill a standard 8274 but not for a couple of months at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up