Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 4743 times)

Psychoman

Tyres
« on: April 13, 2006, 07:39:20 PM »

Okay - currently thinking about new rubber (make up the jokes at home yourselves Stu, Waggers, etc)... and as this seems to pop up regularly thought it'd be a good poll question...

So for combined on road use and serious mud plugging....

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »

only can go on my limited experience here

i run Grabber AT'2 on the Wrangler and Liberty, great tyre on road, better than stock if you ask me and have got to many places off road, that have suprised me and maybe a few others.

If its MT's you want ,wait for the other guys but drive careful in the wet on the road.
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

wrangler

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
    • http://www.manxteaandcoffee.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 07:55:56 PM »

Now let’s see joke’s about rubber’s hmmmmm! I do know one thing Procomp should be called Procrap. I don’t think you can beat the grizzly claws for a good aggressive tyre without breaking the bank.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:58:10 PM »

for serious mud plugging its got to be "boggers"...for road use get road tyres......it has come to my attention that jc is to don dumper tyres on the rangie for mud fest....considering your ride maybe you should do the same....and i have resisted the opportunity for a rubber joke.....if etc is me.

peter henry
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Psychoman

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 08:04:28 PM »

PH - to be honest most of us can't be bothered running two or more sets of tyres - hence the question. As for dissing my ride, well gimme a 4 grand Landy over a 80 grand liability any day! Sure I could spend the bucks - but what the hell is the point?!?

As I've said before and I'll say it again - it aint what you drive its the way that you drive it.

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 08:27:10 PM »

I read that MTR's have a good history of providing high mileage for the type of tire. See this months issue of JP magazine for a good tire review.

(I just ordered 5 33" MTR's)

Rikk

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »

Procomp X-Terrains, superb tyres...very quiet, stick like shit to a blanket wet or dry and VERY good offroad on any surface I've tried so far

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 09:01:31 PM »

MT/Rs.  

On my second set.  Surprising good on road, and cracking off-road too.  Last time I checked they were about half the price of X-Terrains, which was what I was originally going to go for.

I did a lot of research of reviews and US feedback before getting them.  General opinion was that BFG MTs are a bit better in mud, but MT/Rs are better on sand, snow, and miles better on-road.

My 2p.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 09:47:54 PM »

Are we talking about on yourself or your rig....... :lol:
Seriously tho I cannot fault BFG M/T K/Ms  for on or off road use

Got General AT2's on my Grand tho...

There are those who rate Coopers as well

Tyre choice has got to be the most posted tech subject on Jeep sites :D

What I'd also add is terrain your driving and how long you would normally expect tyre life

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 10:45:10 PM »

Quote from: "Stew"
Are we talking about on yourself or your rig....... :D

Apologies if my last post came across as 'Mine's best'.  Didn't mean that.  They work for me, but I know some folk who hate 'em.  I guess you just go with what suits your style.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 11:38:21 PM »

BFG MT's on 4 of my six trucks, the new road going directional general grabber on my Disco II and cheapie remoulds on my Series 1 hybrid (which when I get around to it I will swap for BFG MT's)

Not tried my Pitbulls yet (they will replace the 35" BFG MT's currently on my FJ) but suspect they will be crap on the road.

Mate has got MTR's on a disco and doesn't rate them as good in the wet as a road tyre but then Jeep fit them as standard on Rubis so they cant be all bad.

I have had two sets of Simex's which were awsome off road and positively awful on road

My 2 cents worth  :lol:

Oh and I genuinley believe that BFG MT's are better in the wet than BFG All Terrains which I personally dislike intensley and infact believe to be a dangerous tyre in the wet !!!!

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 08:15:13 AM »

That's weird Matt - 'cos Trish has BFG ATs on her XJ and we find them excellent in the wet.  Never had a skid on 'em - unlike the 'stock' Goodyear Eagles, which looked like a road tyre.

dodgyjeep

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 08:22:02 AM »

As an all out mud tyre the simex I have on my landy at the moment are unstopable when aired down, still not sold so cannot start on the TJ project yet!!!, as a road tyre AT2's are great, enduro at's are a cheaper tyre and last forever and are a great compromise.

If you want a mud tyre buy a mud tyre and put up with the bad road manners 8)

cheers

mark

stevos

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 08:30:22 AM »

just put BFG mud/T`s on ma TJ. they are the mutts can go anywhere with them.also they are good on road. great for donuts aswell

ExtremeTJ

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 10:05:32 AM »

Grabber MT's, good alrounders with plenty on road grip and only £80.00 each

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 10:44:46 AM »

The people who have Coopers rate them very highly.

Good on road (loads of grip in the wet and dry and quiet with it!) and comparable to BFG and General MT's off road.

I was looking at getting some until..........

I heard there's a new General MT coming out, so I'll wait and see what they're like first. 8)

and.....................

Super Swampers. 8)

and...........................

Man!!!.

We could be here all day.

It's all about personal choice. :wink:
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 01:51:11 PM »

Love my Grizzly Claws, Awesome offroad, but rather noisy on the blacktop. Also have MT/Rs. Much more civilised on road, although I've got to say the handling isn't much improved over the Grizzlys, obviously not as agressive in the mud. Like them both for different reasons, both look great on the jeep and make good comprimises with slightly different biases.

Woody

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 08:39:38 PM »

Got to say that BFG ATs were better than the standard tyres on the XJ for road use.  

I run BFG MTs on the Wrangler and I have rarely had any on road problems, mind you I do drive it well within the realms of safety.  I have occasionally put the power down a bit early exiting a roundabout and had the back end step out a bit, but my early days of driving RWD cars have taught me how to hold it together :D   The MTs are great off road and will perform better than the Procomp X-Terrains, that is until the Procomps are aired down.

Woody

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 10:27:41 PM »

i love me new coopers they just work well all round. the only experience i have of the grizly claw was ian scania when he had to change one because it had torn a lug and was leaking and he said it was not the first time it had happened. i do think it is all down to choice. i think when it comes down to playin in the mud and general off roadin they all work prety good from what ive seen. 8)

monkeybiz

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 08:48:07 AM »

must admit grabbers are excelent for the money and only simex's will beat grizzly claws offroad. ive been running recips on the cruiser and can only praise them. quiet onroad and excellent in the small amount of mud plugging ive done so far and they are cheap. about £50 each

Barrel

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »

Quote from: "scotjeeps"
must admit grabbers are excelent for the money and only simex's will beat grizzly claws offroad. ive been running recips on the cruiser and can only praise them. quiet onroad and excellent in the small amount of mud plugging ive done so far and they are cheap. about £50 each
....what are recips? :?  :?
Pages: [1]   Go Up