Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT Failed on corrosion  (Read 3015 times)

Adams_Stuff

MOT Failed on corrosion
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:18:18 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks for reading my first post here

My jeep cherokee 4x4 (93-L-Reg) has failed its Mot as the sill that runs between drivers side front and rear wheels has badly corroded.  It looks a nightmare to weld a plate onto it neatly - can you get checkerplate sill covers anywhere? or could I get a new sill and just rivet it on over the old one and if yes where from.

Thanks

Adam

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:28:51 PM »

As for replacement sills, try Lighthouse (they're in the suppliers section) if they don't do them, they'll know where to get them from - if you can get them!  I know people have replaced the whole sills with box section before now. :wink:

The sills on a Cherokee are structural as there is no separate chassis.  Don't go just riveting something over the rust hole, it needs to be welded up properly.

As for checker plate sill covers, don't think anyone does them, but I'm sure someone local could form some for you so you can hide any untidy welding.
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »

Lighthouse do them but they're about £100 each. I made mine from sheetmetal for about a tenner a side. Don't rivet aluminium checkerplate over them, they'll accelerate corrosion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up