Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GPS/SATNAV  (Read 5219 times)

ExtremeTJ

GPS/SATNAV
« on: May 09, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »

Can anyone recomend a good GPS/SATNAV, I am looking for something that is idiot proof and that will pretty much bomb proof and compact.
Had a loan of a TomTom (one of the latest ones) for my trip down south at the weekend and it was great but are ther any that give you map or grid coordinates.

Rikk

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:44:22 PM »

Your best bet is a PDA based one, then as well as the normal nav software youc an use something like memory-map to load OS maps onto it and use those for green lanign etc.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »

i have a garmin 3006c with memory-map and a xda11s pda with tomtom v5.....

peter henry
"Not all those who wander are lost"

alcoholicmaggot

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:46:37 PM »

I use a Garmin i3 satnav.

Its very easy to use and nearly half the price of a tomtom. It doesnt use co-ordinates but it will find you the road if you dont know the postcode. Its small and compact and you can load speed camera settings on to which is a life saver with the miles i do.

It gives speed when on standard map and estimatde time of arrival.

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 10:15:26 PM »

I've got a Garmin Quest - which seems to fit your criteria.  Small, hi-res screen (but still small), shock proof, waterproof (down to 1M IIRC), 20 hour hand held battery life, voice directions in the car, simple to use.

As far as co-ordinates go, you should be able to put OS routes into Memory Map, and then download them to any compatible GPS.  I think MM has been optimised for Garmin GPSs.

That said, I'm not an expert - but the Quest might be worth a look.

Bat Fastard

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 10:28:42 PM »

Makes you wonder how people managed in the old days......
I suppose then you just had to know where you were going.  :?

stevos

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 08:04:39 AM »

just buy a motor with it in already  :roll:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 09:05:56 AM »

What do you want to use it for?

Off Road, and you want either Memory Map or Fugawi as they have the market pretty much sewn up.

If it's just for on road, then most the above will do it in some form or another.

Me, I have an Ipaq 2210 (PDA with CF and SD slots) with TomTom5 for on road and Memory Map for offroad. This coupled with a wire to an Garmin Etrex has worked a treat for me. You can also use Memory map with the Garmin to send tracks and waypoints to the Etrex and then use the Etrex standalone as well. And, with the Garmin being waterproof, you can always put it up on the roof to get the best signal!

And to top it off, with a cassette adaptor, I have a nice MP3 playing in the jeep too.

Hardware is:
Ipaq 2210
2Gb SD card (MP3s)
1Gb CF (TomTom UK, France and Spain Maps & SE map for Memory map)
Garmin Etrex
Cable to link and charge the PDA to the Etrex.

If you are on a budget, then get a Bluetooth GPS and you save the cable issue, but you loose the "Standalone" ability.

EE :twisted:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 10:53:11 AM »

Quote from: "Bat Fastard"
Makes you wonder how people managed in the old days......
I suppose then you just had to know where you were going.  :?

Well said that man :shock:

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 11:23:37 AM »

Did Stew say something??? :wink:

Anyone have any experience with GPS for phones?  I've now got a Nokia 6680 which uses symbian.

You can get Tom Tom and Route66 for it, and wondered if it works OK.............

Or at all!! :lol:
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

stevos

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 11:28:13 AM »

do you think it would tell ya if your gonna get stuck in the water

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 12:01:03 PM »

I was in a taxi from Bristol to Heathrow the other day - the guy had one on an iPaq, programmed with Ozzy Osbourne giving directions.  When he took a wrong turn Ozzy goes 'agh you missed the fuckin turn'  :rolleyes:

Apparently you can program with loads of different celebs.

I use the Garmin c310 - mightily impressed with it.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 12:21:09 PM »

Quote from: "Ric Jacques"

I use the Garmin c310 - mightily impressed with it.

Yep, retired my tom tom on a sony clie for a garmin c310 the other day - excellent.  Fount that having the clie, gps, pda holder and wires was lots of clutter that needed clearing away after each use so that some scrote didn't nick it. A single unit is much easier to hide.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »

Year 2000 AA Road map :D

ExtremeTJ

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 08:31:26 PM »

Need something that will give roads and off road coordinates for when Dr V is doing race and rally doctoring and for the Mac4x4 me thinks.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »

No GPS on the Mac!

I would be inclined to get either an all in one PDA with the GPS built in, or the PDA and Bluetooth GPS probably.

EE

steve.wickes

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 08:46:52 PM »

I have an Acer N35 PDA with Destinator 3. This can be set to show Latitude and Longitude.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 08:51:40 PM »

1994 collins road atlas but gonna up grade seen 2006 at morrisons for a quid dont matter if i drop it and i can wipe me ass whith it too if i need to

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 08:55:36 PM »

And, you have the perfect excuse to swerve all over the road as you look at the map and try to find where you are.....

Or, you can prop it on the steering wheel to obstruct your driving abilities...

Mind you, if you know anybody silly enough to shut their fingers in the boot, then a paper map is the thing for you  :D

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »

well I got an ipaq 1710 pda with tom tom,ozzy osbourne voice and several others, mobile speed camera positions, static camera, red light camera, runs on 12v or 24v ( use it in my cars and truck), it does give you gps positions but not on the main screen,(easy enough to find tho) probably the best ting i have bought apart from my jeep and v8 engine!

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 11:59:03 PM »

Quote from: "V8 Bubba"
1994 collins road atlas but gonna up grade seen 2006 at morrisons for a quid dont matter if i drop it and i can wipe me ass whith it too if i need to

Right on !

So when your talking on your hands free switching tracks on your I pod Hearing Ozzy go yaw missed the fooking turning on your garmin GPS  or whatever that the next minute directs you into a ford that floods your engine (it was in the papers...) then your so busy prodding buttons on these devices you go through a speed camere having not noticed they've just dropped the speed on the route your Garmin thingy tells you to go from 40 to 30 and you get a fixed penalty fine because your not concentrating on driving..........

Bollocks

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 08:34:54 AM »

Quote from: "Stew"
Quote from: "V8 Bubba"

Right on !

So when your talking on your hands free switching tracks on your I pod Hearing Ozzy go yaw missed the fooking turning on your garmin GPS  or whatever that the next minute directs you into a ford that floods your engine (it was in the papers...) then your so busy prodding buttons on these devices you go through a speed camere having not noticed they've just dropped the speed on the route your Garmin thingy tells you to go from 40 to 30 and you get a fixed penalty fine because your not concentrating on driving..........

Bollocks

Or, for Stew, he could just drive past a field of fresh lambs and get the fixed penalty  :twisted:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 03:00:34 PM »

Oh Looky what I've found.... Bubba said it was for sale...

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 03:44:40 PM »

is this to go with the rumours of a pink cj that were about a year or so ago?
Pages: [1]   Go Up