Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 96 XJ - A little help  (Read 16113 times)

MrBrown

96 XJ - A little help
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:17:53 PM »

Picked up a 96 XJ Cherokee sport recently for an absolute steal. Honestly I was initially looking at fourtraks but this was just too cheap. So I haven't done as much research as possible but trying to make up for that now.

Looking at doing some very cheap mods to it initially as seems silly paying 3x cost of jeep for winch bumper or lift. I've seen a lot of pics about people cutting the bumper down to ad a little more clearance, is this fairly straightforward?

Also the headlights are awful, o/s in particular. I've read about the wiring loom upgrade. Pucto? Amazon.com has it $40 and .co.uk £110  :banghead: anywhere we can get them this side of the pond.

I've read bits and bobs about budget boosts too and lifting without spending a fortune? Is this worth doing or will I just have to stump up the cash for the proper stuff?

Also any tips for picking up some black steelies on the cheap and what size tyres is best without a lift?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully this should keep me busy for a while.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Re: 96 XJ - A little help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 08:34:33 AM »

Welcome! XJs are awesome, I expect you'll love it. What engine's in yours?

General Confusion

• Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: Now Jeep-less
  • Buckle Up!!!!!..........I want to try something.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »

Make your own headlight loom upgrade with bits from Halfrauds or your local car spares shop (less than £20). I had a budget lift on my last XJ and drove it all around Europe in 2010. The current owner is a friend of mine and the lift is still good.
Too Old to Die Young!!!!

MrBrown

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:18:13 PM »

It's the 2.5 petrol, I was wanting the 4l but really couldn't say no to this one. I guess I could always shot a 4l in later haha.

Budget lift sounds the way forward then I guess. I'll start googling the wiring upgrade now too. I'm already loving it tbh. Just rotting up all the bits and pieces I could do is scary tho haha

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »

Welcome Mate
here's a link for some ideas

http://go.jeep-xj.info/

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 06:45:35 PM »

xj's are more capable than you think plus the comfort level is better than other 4x4s of the same age.

headlights, do it yourself but basically you use relays to power the lights rather than send the light voltage through the switch, as the switch fails over time causing your lights to switch on and off. gojeep gives you the simplest explanation of what to do.

2.5ltr not bad but the fuel economy is not that different from the 4ltr, plus with the 4ltr you dont have to worry about gears
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

LairdScooby

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 06:51:10 PM »

Welcome aboard! This might be useful for you on the headlamp problem :

The nearside lamp has the standard, 4W tungsten filament sideilght bulb. The offside has one of these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-White-BA9S-57-W6W-4-COB-SMD-LED-License-Plate-Light-Map-Bulb-Dome-Lamp-K017-/321668589072?hash=item4ae4f12610:g:6BwAAOSwqu9U3hs2

Here's the comparison between the 100/80 and 60/55 bulbs :

Again, the offside has the new bulb and as you can see, shows up much brighter. Shame the tree gets in the way but you can see the bleaching on the nearside :

These are the bulbs i fitted :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Sportz-Blue-Bulbs-Intense-Blue-White-Light-High-Power-Beam-/141165295229?var=&hash=item20de1b767d:m:mRSycNKMj0NNHC_syRcAIwA

Definitely an improvement, they remove the bleaching effect due to the limitations of the headlamp design and make night driving much less stressful.

Like you i've found the standard XJ headlamps (same light units used by Fourtraks i believe and many other cars/4x4s) so went hunting for improvements on a budget. The best improvement per £ spent was the Ring 100/80W headlamp bulbs. Officially they are not for road use because of the risk of dazzling but to be honest, the design of the lamp unit is so bad, even with the extra power they still don't put out as much light as i would like or enough to get you noticed by Mr Plod.
There are also "crystal lens reflector"type headlamp conversions available which allegedly put 25% or more extra light on the road - i haven't tried them so can't comment. This is them :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Crystal-Halogen-Headlights-for-Jeep-Cherokee-headlamp-RHD-upgrade-kit-H4-/171260266959?hash=item27dfe849cf:g:~oQAAOxyuuJR3SR~

Might be worth a go as well, don't know if anyone on here has tried them or not?

MrBrown

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »

Thanks for the help. Will get to work on the lights. So far found the XJ a lot of fun. I'm hearing I can maybe get 30inch tyres without a lift. Is this doable? If so I might hang fire on the lift

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 09:17:07 PM »

I know the TJ has round headlights rather than square but I tried the crystal type headlamps several years ago and found the beam pattern so disappointing I went back to standard Hella replacements.

I have been using Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate bulbs for a year or so and they are the best light output I've had for years from standard 60/55W bulbs. Closest yet to PIAA bulbs in the OEM headlamps. Next week though I'll be running Truck-Lite LED headlamps.

LairdScooby

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 09:30:26 PM »

That answers the question on the crystal headlamps then! Another thing i found was the reversing lamps were pretty poor too. I used the 500 Lumen version of these bulbs :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291125722557?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Compariosn photo, LED bulb in the left, OE bulb in the right :

With both replaced :

They give a much brighter view at the back end than the OE bulbs - i've also changed the bulbs in the roof console for the courtesy/map reading lamps for these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301664075607?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Much brighter without glaring the way LED bulbs sometimes can and they slot into the lenses in the roof console and fit snugly without excessive effort - at least they won't ever need replacing!

Sounds like you're enjoying your XJ and will have a lot of fun with it - good to hear that!

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »

i did use 130w bulbs after i changed the loom on the xj i had, the light was great but in winter the heat given out by the bulb and the cold air cracked the lense. justt a word of warning if you think more watts = brighter lights without risk
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »

Black BUSH !!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

MrBrown

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 05:03:21 PM »

Bargain for them lights inside. I was looking at replacing them too so I think I'll pick them up.

Yeah I am really enjoying it so far. Even the bits and pieces of tinkering. Never really done that with a motor before.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 05:07:09 PM »

Where's our mate YT?...he's the man with such things.

Come to think of it...I need his help as well.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »

Yeah if you can find the YT link, you can like him, illuminate a whole county :icon_super:

Respect!

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 06:25:25 PM »

The respect is well deserved...he did the homework and got the results....gotta acknowledge that.

I certainly learned a lot from Phil...didn't always follow his lead, but he gave me the direction I needed for answers.

LairdScooby

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 06:49:57 PM »

Hmmm, this sounds interesting - any details on it or links at all please?

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

Stand by a while...I'm going to speak with the man himself.

LairdScooby

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 07:14:58 PM »

Will do  :icon_biggrin:

MrBrown

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »

Yup waiting in anticipation now!

YT

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 09:02:56 PM »

HEELLOOOO Birtys   :peekaboo: been out the loop for a bit.
Here's a couple of vids from the God Cree. (the one what said 'let there be light' and there was MUCH fuckin light upon the earth.  :greggmo:)
Cree LED 12.5/30w H4 replacement.

I'd need to hunt fleabay to find the right type, there's some useless shit LEDs about. :)
This is the Cree headlights at night. The driver side reflector was goosed. Tbh, both pots needed replaced. 60" of Cree bars are ignited after the 2nd car passes. (The screen needed a good clean too. lol)

I could make daylight brighter. :)

MrBrown

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »

Yup, that's some bright shit! eBay is hit and miss. So much choice...

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »

As Phil said...Cree is the God. All the rest are just poor cousins.

Hillbilly

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: 4 litre Grand WJ
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 09:19:31 PM »

Good to see you back Phil.

YT

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 10:20:09 PM »

Yup, that's some bright shit! eBay is hit and miss. So much choice...

With 90" of bars on a single switch puttin out 57,500Lm you had to treat them like a loaded gun. With a hair trigger. And no safety catch. A certain Mr Clarkson described a 50" bar on a Raptor as a 'collapsed sun' That was a Ridig Industries bar, RI DONT use Cree chips, and they'll relieve you of 12-1500 dollars for a 50.
I'll have a hunt tomorrow and dig out headlights and links. You need the chip layout right. You can pick up a 20" Cree bar for sub fifty notes now ! FFS, mine was 120 ! If you'r after bars as well, let me know what size/sizes and I'll grab some links. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up