Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 96 XJ - A little help  (Read 16116 times)

YT

Re: 96 XJ - A little help
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »

Good to see you back Phil.

:D cheers, I'm not normally too far away from Birtys. Still can't get 'Jeep' outta the bloodstream. :)

MrBrown

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 11:17:32 PM »

What a guy. Much appreciated!

Headlights is the main one for me but a 20-30 bar wouldn't hurt!

LairdScooby

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 12:17:11 AM »

Just watched the before/after and night driving vids - that is awesome stuff! Definitely interested in the LED headlamps, i'm all for trying new stuff but don't want to waste bucket loads on useless tat so i'm very gratedul you've done the experimentation and the videos!  :icon_biggrin: Might very well be interested in a light bar too although for now the headlights are the important option! Even with the 100/80W bulbs in they still leave a lot to be desired!

YT

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 11:18:06 AM »

Just watched the before/after and night driving vids - that is awesome stuff! Definitely interested in the LED headlamps, i'm all for trying new stuff but don't want to waste bucket loads on useless tat so i'm very gratedul you've done the experimentation and the videos!  :icon_biggrin: Might very well be interested in a light bar too although for now the headlights are the important option! Even with the 100/80W bulbs in they still leave a lot to be desired!

The led headlights have a sub 2A draw on high beam, so even with the crap stock loom you get the full fat 2000Lm per side. If you dig deep enough into construction & use regs, there's an 1800Lm/side output limit. Plod haven't got the kit/time/inclination to check or enforce this so as long as they're properly aligned your good to go and you'll have no problems at MOT time. :)

YT

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »

This is what I could do to daylight. :D

LairdScooby

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »

All good stuff! Just had a quick look on fleabay and even limiting the search to UK only (i've had bad experiences buying single and/or small quantities of bulbs from China) there is still a bewildering choice of stuff!

Couple of questions though. Would i be right in thinking the CREE LED headlamp bulbs are set up for conventional (+ve line) switching or are they unipolar so can be used without further modification on an earth switched system?
Obviously on the Jeep it is the conventionally +ve switched system but i am thinking of fitting them to other cars i have which have an earth switched system.

Also how do they perform with the dim-dip system?

**** EDIT **** if you also have some links for CREE H3 replacements, that would be good too please!

YT

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »

I've never seen the exact type of LED headlight units I used since I got mine, but these 4 have the correct chip layout to give true high/low beam pattern. The first 2 links are for units that use heatsinks, so probably the weapon of choice if your planning, or could end up with the headlight submerged in water. The last 2 are for units that have integral cooling fans, more efficient and they are waterproof, but probably not ideal for bonnet deep wading trips. If you still have the stock loom, I'd recommend sticking with the 30w or 36w options to keep the power demand low.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-68W-H4-HB2-9003-Hi-Lo-Beam-LED-CREE-Headlight-Car-Lamp-Kit-Bulb-6000K-UK-/321895792749?hash=item4af27c006d:g:HUcAAOSwA4dWIfsb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-HID-36W-High-Power-CREE-LED-Hi-Lo-Car-Headlight-Fog-Light-Bulb-Ballasts-6500K-/181977278052?hash=item2a5eb0e664:g:oaQAAOSwHaBWhPHb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H4-High-Power-80W-CREE-XML2-Chips-9000LM-Xenon-White-LED-Headlight-Lamp-Hi-Lo-/301746498370?hash=item46417e2b42:g:tiIAAOSwWnFV79Yd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-White-H4-LED-CREE-Headlight-Kit-3000lm-30W-Hi-Lo-Beam-Lamp-6500K-Light-Bulbs-/191746626800?hash=item2ca4fd54f0:g:49QAAOSwqrtWpfEC

20" Cree bars.
UK seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Inch-126W-CREE-LED-Spot-Flood-Combo-Driving-Work-Light-Bar-ATV-UTE-Boat-/361449872314?hash=item5428175bba:g:dB8AAOSwLN5WjioX

Chinese seller. Remember to add around 10-15 quid customs charges.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120w-Cree-LED-Light-Bar-Spot-Flood-Work-Driving-Lamp-20inch-Offroad-80w-126w-NEW-/172059747083?hash=item280f8f630b:g:Jp4AAOSwLN5WlL2V

30" bars UK sellers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-High-End-180W-30-Offroad-CREE-Spot-Flood-Combo-LED-Driving-Work-Light-Bar-/252035465876?hash=item3aae7c0294:g:ZdQAAOSw~gRV0otP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-180W-30-Offroad-CREE-LED-Driving-Work-Light-Bar-Truck-4x4-Wiring-Kit-/252179275833?hash=item3ab70e6039:g:SHYAAOSwHQ9WUBSu

Curved 30 Chinese seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30inch-180W-CREE-CURVED-LED-WORK-LIGHT-BAR-FLOOD-SPOT-Combo-OFFROAD-SUV-ATV-4WD-/291618376424?hash=item43e5cf4ae8:g:tRMAAOSwLnlWoKU8

40" are a bit thin on the ground. Chinese sellers so remember customs charges.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-240W-CREE-LED-FLOOD-SPOT-COMBO-LIGHT-BAR-WORK-LIGHT-OFFROAD-4WD-SUV-BOAT-ATV-/291614718923?hash=item43e5977bcb:g:uEcAAOSwGotWnfQI

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-240W-CREE-LED-Work-Light-Bar-Spot-Flood-Cambo-Beam-off-road-Lamp-Truck-Boat-/161666250929?hash=item25a40f38b1:g:3h0AAOSwrklVI5Yo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-inch-240W-LED-Light-Bar-Combo-Beam-Curved-Work-Offroad-Truck-Boat-UTE-cree-42-/301796813903?hash=item46447dec4f:g:3T0AAOSwa-dWn1Wv

Last one's a 50". Chinese seller, but SHOULD clear customs at the marked (lower) price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-400W-CREE-LED-FLOOD-SPOT-COMBO-LIGHT-BAR-WORK-LIGHT-OFFROAD-4WD-SUV-BOAT-ATV-/301715492812?hash=item463fa50fcc:g:cbIAAOSw5dNWnI0p

Chinese sellers always mark the stuff at a lower value. (My £120 bar was marked at £40) carriers like DHL are 'bonded carriers' so can deal with customs/import charges en route. This means, to save time they don't ask questions & charge at marked price. ANY other shipping method hand them directly to those nice folk at HMRC. They fuckin LOVE asking questions. They'll want,
Original order reciept (screen shot of eBay order)
PayPal reciept
Bank acc conformation
They WILL charge you full whack, and add 1-2 weeks to delivery time. If ya need anything else give me a shout. :)

YT

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »

All good stuff! Just had a quick look on fleabay and even limiting the search to UK only (i've had bad experiences buying single and/or small quantities of bulbs from China) there is still a bewildering choice of stuff!

Couple of questions though. Would i be right in thinking the CREE LED headlamp bulbs are set up for conventional (+ve line) switching or are they unipolar so can be used without further modification on an earth switched system?
Obviously on the Jeep it is the conventionally +ve switched system but i am thinking of fitting them to other cars i have which have an earth switched system.

Also how do they perform with the dim-dip system?

**** EDIT **** if you also have some links for CREE H3 replacements, that would be good too please!

The led headlights are 'plug n play' on most older Jeeps, a lot of the listings I linked have an application list, Annd some technical bumf that's over my head, in the new fancy ass newer lighting system requirements to run these units. Any units I've linked will give proper MOT passing hi/low beam pattern.
These are the only H3s I can find with the right chip layout. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-80W-6000LM-9005-9006-H1-H3-H4-H7-H8-CREE-2-LED-Headlight-Lamp-White-12-24V-UK-/391372624686?var=&hash=item5b1fa0532e:m:mlYaiVpGWKxgs4PQeXsG12w

YT

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »

XJ HEADLIGHT UNITS.

Space is a bit tight behind the headlight pots, some of the replacement LED units are bulky round the fans/heatsinks. You may have to make a slight modification to the headlight bucket.
A hole saw to the centre of the bucket will allow enoug space for the fan/heatsink to fit though. :)

LairdScooby

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »

That's a great list and thanks for including the H3 as well!  :icon_biggrin:

While doing my own hunting, i also found these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B2UEW3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A163Y5IHY1ZJ6M

What's your opinion?

YT

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »

That's a great list and thanks for including the H3 as well!  :icon_biggrin:

While doing my own hunting, i also found these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B2UEW3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A163Y5IHY1ZJ6M

What's your opinion?

I've seen similar fitted to a jap 4x4 on Twitter, but I don't know how they'd fair in the MOT side and I didn't see any mention of CE marking so could be dodgy. :)

LairdScooby

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »

Hmm, interesting - i've seen similar on a US spec XJ round here as well, definitely an improvement on standard but i don't think as good as the CREE bulbs. They did seem to dip etc as they should though but only the centre row of LEDs was lit on dip - strange! At least they weren't dazzling oncoming traffic like the standard Right Hand Dip (for Left Hand Drive vehicles) lights on most of the other US spec stuff here.

YT

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »

I've asked if he's MOTD it yet with these.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 06:07:04 PM »

I see quite a few set ups like that over here...no problems, but those tires would get you a fail!!

LairdScooby

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »

I see quite a few set ups like that over here...no problems, but those tires would get you a fail!!

At the risk of potentially asking a daft question, why would the tyres get a fail? As far as i can see they still have plenty of tread, they are the same pattern (took a while of squinting etc but they are) and the only difference i can see is that one is wet and the other is dry? AM i missing something so blatantly obvious i can't see the wood for the tress?  :icon_eek:

YT

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 06:59:42 PM »

He's just got back to me. MOT not due until May. He did say he has the stock lights on standby in case.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »

At the risk of potentially asking a daft question, why would the tyres get a fail? As far as i can see they still have plenty of tread, they are the same pattern (took a while of squinting etc but they are) and the only difference i can see is that one is wet and the other is dry? AM i missing something so blatantly obvious i can't see the wood for the tress?  :icon_eek:

Not worth an argument, but to me, with a lot of squinting, they aren't the same! Over here, steers have to be the same...brand, tread pattern etc. Rears are your problem, so long as the wear pattern matches.

MrBrown

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 07:17:53 PM »

Thank you very much for the list YT. Think I'll end up going for the headlights and probably end up grabbing the 50inch bar haha

LairdScooby

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »

To be honest i thought that was what you meant at first, the tyres were different and the more i looked, it was just because one was wet they looked different. I could still be wrong mind.

When i fit tyres to my beasts i always change in pairs minimum but preferably all 4 the same as it makes a hell of a difference - understandable why the law where you are says the steering tyres have to be the same.

Not worth an argument, but to me, with a lot of squinting, they aren't the same! Over here, steers have to be the same...brand, tread pattern etc. Rears are your problem, so long as the wear pattern matches.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »

As I said, not worth an argument...if it gets through the MOT, all is good.

A little hiccup with my Golf 4 Motion, all the tires have to very closely matched, rotated often and when replacement time comes around, all four are done, but I can live with that.

Next big job for me is the headlights...Phils advice and links are very handy and will be studied closely.

:icon_winkle:

YT

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »

Thank you very much for the list YT. Think I'll end up going for the headlights and probably end up grabbing the 50inch bar haha

If it's for an XJ, check the roof first, a 50 might be a bit wide for a cherry. 50s are a perfect fit for wranglers. 40s line up nicely with XJ roof rails. :)
One other important thing with the bars, some have steel, sliding bottom mounts, others have ally end mounts. SCRAP the ally mount brackets ! They're breaky cast ally shit. B&Q sell 30x3mm strip steel for not  a lot of beer tokens. Bend up some L brackets to suit. You can make them whatever height you like (I kept mine as low as possible) From 30" and over, make the 'foot' of the brackets long enough to take 3 bolts. For roof & bonnet mounting use 3 rivnuts per side. If your worried about leaky roof syndrome, whack some silicone into the hole first.
 The steel brackets are, neater, stronger, and more important, allow you to spot weld the mount bolts to keep theiving twats at bay. I used hex heads and had the bars almost touching the heads just to help make it more awkward.
 I know of at least 5 bars that've been swiped off 4x4s, 2 of those where 250 quid 50s !

MrBrown

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »

If it's for an XJ, check the roof first, a 50 might be a bit wide for a cherry. 50s are a perfect fit for wranglers. 40s line up nicely with XJ roof rails. :)
One other important thing with the bars, some have steel, sliding bottom mounts, others have ally end mounts. SCRAP the ally mount brackets ! They're breaky cast ally shit. B&Q sell 30x3mm strip steel for not  a lot of beer tokens. Bend up some L brackets to suit. You can make them whatever height you like (I kept mine as low as possible) From 30" and over, make the 'foot' of the brackets long enough to take 3 bolts. For roof & bonnet mounting use 3 rivnuts per side. If your worried about leaky roof syndrome, whack some silicone into the hole first.
 The steel brackets are, neater, stronger, and more important, allow you to spot weld the mount bolts to keep theiving twats at bay. I used hex heads and had the bars almost touching the heads just to help make it more awkward.
 I know of at least 5 bars that've been swiped off 4x4s, 2 of those where 250 quid 50s !

Thank you for this! I'll stick with the 40 then and save a few quid. I'll make sure I get the steel as well. Might as well do the job right first time around.

LairdScooby

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 02:54:08 PM »

Just a thought if you don't have access to any sort of metal bending facility - angle iron is pretty cheap too and it's already bent. Also angle aluminium which might be suitable depending on how thick it is and the weight of the light bar :

https://www.metalmaniauk.com/

That supplier is pretty cheap, not used them yet but got a few bits in my trolley to buy off them when i get time to use it!

YT

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »

Just a thought if you don't have access to any sort of metal bending facility - angle iron is pretty cheap too and it's already bent. Also angle aluminium which might be suitable depending on how thick it is and the weight of the light bar :

https://www.metalmaniauk.com/

That supplier is pretty cheap, not used them yet but got a few bits in my trolley to buy off them when i get time to use it!

If you use ally, you've nothing to spot weld the bolt heads to. LED bars are like shinny shit to magpies ! One of the nicked bars was gone inside an hour and a half !  :banghead: (30m of synthetic rope disappeared from his winch at the same time)

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »

You could always try those big SS pop rivets...takes an age to drill them out and makes a lot of noise in the process. I used them on my light bar but it worked too well...when I sold the Nissan, I tried to get it off so it could go on the new ride; gave up and let him have it as a bonus!  :010:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up