Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1995 XJ 2.5 petrol barn find worth resurrecting?  (Read 1243 times)

BlueXJ2.5

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: XJ 2.5 petrol
  • Year: 1995
1995 XJ 2.5 petrol barn find worth resurrecting?
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:47:22 AM »

Hi all! New member and first post!

I stumbled across a 1995 Cherokee XJ with a 2.5 petrol engine that's been sitting indoors for around ten years. I was slightly disappointed when I popped the bonnet and saw a four cylinder rather than a six but I was also happy it wasn't diesel as I work on petrol engines quite a bit and cba working at a diesel! I think its Spinnaker blue from my investigations and it's a pretty basic UK model, no fancy trim etc. I'm just looking for some opinions/advice on resurrecting this Jeep and what to look for. Here's what I know so far...

190K on the clock
Lots of rust on body work mainly bonnet and roof - bird sh1t has played a big part I think
Back wheels were seized - now free after pulling the brake drums
Engine turns over and lights etc are working with a new battery installed
Oil looks normal used dark colour with no emulsification etc
Unibody is solid, sills etc are goood

That's as far as I've got with my checks. I want to do a compression test etc next before I start throwing money at it. I'm aware it will need quite a bit of work to make good again but i've always liked the XJ and I can do all the work myself except the paint which will be the last thing carried out once it's road ready.

Any advice/opinions on engine, XJ specific things that will need carried out etc would be very much appreciated. Also can anyone recommend the best photo storage site to upload photos of this project and share etc?

Thanks! :icon_biggrin:
Pages: [1]   Go Up