Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cj7 spindle u-joint  (Read 1375 times)

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
cj7 spindle u-joint
« on: July 03, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »

Hi all,
Not been on in a while but rebuilding my front axle on 79 cj7 rhd.

I have the U joints for the front drive shaft but what are the u joints that go into the half-shaft within the axle. Just beside the steering knuckle there is a u joint. I think its different to the drive shaft joint. 

Its a Dana 30 front end.

Also if you could provide a link to a uk supplier would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Re: cj7 spindle u-joint
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 08:55:23 PM »

Ken,

Thought you had sold the Jeep? Anyway the UJs your looking for are 5-260x, they are the same as the ones used on the front/rear prop shaft as well. I've always got mine off Rockauto or Ebay. I always spend the money and buy the Spicer versions, you also have to choose between greasable or non greasable and this is personal preference. If your around this weekend the Terenure car show is on, we have a offroad stand at it and I'll be there. Regards Andrew

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »

Not sure on sizes but the circlips that hold them in are different to the prop shaft UJs as they are internal clips instead of external so will be a different part number. i would expect.
Lighthouse are your best bet if you want some that will be correct, should look like this.

3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »

Sorry Dave I should have been clearer 5-260x are internal circlip models,  153x are the external clip models, You need 2 x 5-20x and 4 x 153x if your changing all of the UJs on a Cj. Lighthouse might have them but they are soooooo overpriced. Here is a link to the Rickauto listings https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1975,cj5,4.2l+258cid+l6,1180639,drivetrain,universal+joint,2392
Pages: [1]   Go Up