Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A wrongly accused release bearing............  (Read 4556 times)

horobi

A wrongly accused release bearing............
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:31:45 AM »

hmmm......after a weekend of using my Jeep for just everyday type stuff recently I developed a nasty loud squealling/chattering when the clutch was depressed (depressing me!).

Got a chance to look at it this weekend....obviously I was more than a little worried about the clutch release bearing as I only did the clutch a couple of months ago. Lots of poking and swearing later I still hadn't figured out an easy solution....I really really really didn't want to take the gearbox off as if took me ages to get it lined up (flying solo).....

It was then that I noticed the thin stamped flywheel cover on the rear of the engine was looking quite close to the fly wheel......could it be rubbing?!?! Was this my El Dorado?!? I bent it out a little and lo and behold no squealing!!! Hoorraaaahhhh!!!

......but does this indicate too much end play in my crankshaft??!? Perhaps?? Although the flywheel cover was so  close it would be fractions of a mm.....who knows......

just a little story for anyone out there who thinks their release bearing/clutch might be on it's way out......it could be better it could be worse but it's something to look at if you's a' squealin.....

:smt064
Pages: [1]   Go Up