Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hhhmmmm, that shouldn't leak!  (Read 5362 times)

xtyeisu

Hhhmmmm, that shouldn't leak!
« on: June 22, 2005, 12:53:50 PM »

Hi all,

1st question since joining... I have a 63 RHD CJ6 with the AMC stright 6 engine. only thing is there is water leaking from behind where the fan attaches to the engine!

I'm sure I could fix it if i knew what part it is thats gone, does anyone have any idea what it is?

(sorry for what must be a very stupid question!)

Matt.

Manda

• AKA Dangerous Doris
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:06:01 PM »

Hi!

I haven't a clue with your techie question (apart from guessing at a hose connection  :oops: ) but, awesome looking truck and welcome to Birty's!!
AKA Dangerous Doris

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 01:08:07 PM »

hi mucho smart jeep you have deffo got youself a shot water pump 63 cj 6 woulda come with a 225 cube v6 the old buick dauntless engine the amc is an inline straight 6 wich would be tight old fit in your 63 as the bonnet and wings are 2inches shorter not that i say it couldnt be made to fit try lighthouse jeep parts in diss norfolk look in suplyers listings on our site.........but more important welcome to birtys    the most fun you can have with a jeep and keep ya clothes on.........o after thought  your 63 just mighta come with a 4 banger optional engine to power the wipers or somthing   he he he

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

xtyeisu

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 01:20:45 PM »

Yeah thanks buba, where do i put the fuel for the wipers!

The engine is definatly the AMC Stright 6 232 but as the CJ6 has the 104 inch wheelbase theres a bit more room to pay with, apparently there were only 50,176 RHD CJ6's ever made

you realy think i will need  new water pump, is that going to be easy to change? will i need to order any additional parts/gaskets?

One last thing, I didn't mean to mislead anyone but the Jeep in my avtar is not mine, it's VERY similar (same colour, wide arch kit, slightly diferent wheels) but the photo is a LHD CJ5 from Switzerland.

Matt.

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 10:26:59 PM »

Well my friend the source of the leak is definately from the water pump, my guess it will either be from the fan drive shaft seal or the pump housing gasket.  My money is on the drive seal - in which case you will need a new pump.

Try removing the fan.  You'll have to re-bolt the pulley wheel on to drive the pump though.  Run the engine (for a short time only - don't want to overheat it), you ought to be able to see where the water is coming from without the fan blowing it everywhere.

Pump is a doddle to change - you'll just need a gasket for the housing.  Lighthouse Jeep will sort you out no worries.

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 11:01:24 PM »

or try instant gasket stuff,never had a prob with it yet,as long as you get the right one........so many colours these days :lol:  :lol:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 11:10:41 PM »

not wishing to start a fight but 104 inch wheelbase it would indicate a post 1972 cj6 that is when they put two more inches in to make room for the longer amc engines but heyhoo you got a smart jeep and that is what matters i used to have a 74 cj6 it was the first jeep i had i loved it it was a 232 engine aswell

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »

Fight fight fight :idea:  :twisted:

xtyeisu

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 12:24:31 PM »

I am on my knees in awe of bubas knowledge! (that and i noticed I have made a mistake, its a '73 not a '63!) Sorry Buba & thanks for all the help, I will order the pump today.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 07:46:13 PM »

just tryin to help

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 08:12:17 PM »

When it comes to the older jeeps,Bubba,you excel with the help and wisdom you give :D  :D

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 08:18:12 PM »

I know I ripped the P, but I seriously am impressed with the knowlege...
Pages: [1]   Go Up