Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery keeps going flat.  (Read 3246 times)

markhgg

Battery keeps going flat.
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:22:02 PM »

Hi guys, need some help please, my 2000 w reg 3.1TD grand cherokee keeps going flat, (battery) it is parked all week as i have a works van, but for about 6 weeks now and again it wont start, used it saturday all fine, went to go out this morning and will only just turn over, the only thing i can see is the + battery terminal keeps coming loose, would this take the charge out of the battery when parked up, please any ideas would be great, this is my 1st 4x4, had jags,bmw and mercs but the jeep just has silly little things going wrong all the time :evil:

Thanks guys; Mark..

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

Not sure about the loose terminal making battery go flat,but a poor connection can cause it to turn over as if nearly flat or even not turn over at all.I guess that it could also mean that the power is not being returned to the battery properly.Fix the loose terminal ands fully charge battery then see.If battery a few years old then change battery too but definately sort out the terminal

governor

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:51:31 PM »

Had a similar problem with my old 4l Grand, it was just not getting used enough few miles each day, every few months it wouldn't start due to flat battery only solution was to give it a good long run every week, sorted out the problem but cost a few quid extra in petrol :roll:

markhgg

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »

Hi guys, the terminal conector is a large type and seams to be made of lead, the nut that tightens has cut into the lead making it very hard to get really tight would i be advised to get a new conector and battery and see if that works.

Thanks for the help guys. Mark..

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »

If you feel the connector is not getting a good bite then change it,they are only a few quid from any motor factors,and then give the battery a good charge and see what happens.And then next move would be to change the battery,they need changing every couple or three years normally anyway as they start to break down and not hold a charge as well

markhgg

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »

Thanks tank, will get it sorted.  8-)

Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up