Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improved Mileage / Emmisions  (Read 3915 times)

Nexus

Improved Mileage / Emmisions
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:34:28 AM »

I was reading Eureka (Engineering magazine), and they had an article on a new air filter / upper engine lubrication system.  I have included the link to the website below.  Anyone seen these or used this type of thing before.  It appears to have a lot more credence than the usual snake oil remedies that have been around for years.  It's available as a self install kit so might be a possible future mod.  I may email them to see what effects snorkels, etc would have on the system as these may restrict the inlet flow.

Article extract link :-
http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/article ... d-out.aspx

Supplier homepage :-
http://www.kleenandgreen.co.uk/

Cheers
Nick

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:47:56 PM »

It sounds convincing enough when you read their site. But if it was that easy, then I’m sure every motor manufacturer would be fitting a freer flowing K&N style air filter and a 2-stroke oil injection system/atomizer.

I wonder why they don’t show any photos of actual installations.
Peter

Nexus

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »

I have a K&N Filter already fitted as a replacement element to the standard air box, which is more free flowing than the stock filter.  But even this still casues a restriction just not as much as the stock one.  From the article in Eureka the filter iself is made out of knitted copper wool + some other bits.  Have not read the Eureka online article as I had it hard copy and it was a full two pages of techinical information about the principles behind the filter / mister assembly.  

At £350 for the bits it is not going to save me shed loads as I only travel 2,500 - 3,000 miles a year in the Jeep what was appealing though was the upper end lubrication potential to reduce wear, and the petrol saving would be a bonus.  I will do more searching on the web.

Also from the article it has only been fitted to 1000 cars in the states and I think only one over here.

Cheers
Nick

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »

bollocks

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »

What a load of horse-shit. Driving as that website suggests boosts your mpg, not spending hundreds on some bullshit oil and air cleaner. Having more air available doesn't up your mpg. The MAF sensor detects it and the ECU compensates.

Roland

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:26:15 AM »

:roll:  Not more MPG but less emission, allegedly

http://http://www.eulube.co.uk/Testimonials.php

Nexus

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »

The driving part / aircon bit is common sense in Dad's diesel it goes from 43/45 to 50/52 ish if I sedate my right leg during a trip, and with the cost of bleeding diesel at present that mounts upto to quite a saving on longer trips.

Problem is its a lot of money to shell out to prove/disprove the theory, and as PtP said if its possible then why aren't more manufacturers fitting it as the emphasis is now on emmissions/mileage.

It just struck me as odd as Eureka don't normally print ropey articles so it tends to lend credence to the claim.

Oh well the fuel problem will be solved when they perfect creating petrol from sunlight.

Cheers
Nick

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »

Quote from: "Nexus"
…………….what was appealing though was the upper end lubrication potential to reduce wear, and the petrol saving would be a bonus…………….

I don’t run an LPG system, but I recall a friend a while back telling me that some LPG installations have an oil mister/injection system fitted. Theirs ran out of oil and caused a mechanical problem with the valves. You could always have a look at one of these systems if you are looking for more upper end lubrication.

Personally, I think you’ll be wasting your money and time as the 4.0l don’t seem to suffer with lack of lubrication resulting in premature failure.

However, with you only travelling 2–3,000 miles a year, presumably these are mainly short journeys and lots of cold starts, if premature engine wear is of concern to you, then I would look at an electric oil pump to pre-pressurise your oil system for a couple of seconds before you start the engine. As you know, this is when most of the engine wear takes place. There used to be a well known manufacturer (but their name escapes me) who sold a kit for doing just this, but I cannot find who I’m thinking of. The unit I’m thinking of had an adaptor which was sandwiched between the oil filter and its mounting and the electric pump was mounted separately which was connected with suitable hoses etc.

Have a look here: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... e=MOCWCP1B
Peter

captain cavalier

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »

If your worrying about your oil just use fully synthetic

Morrisons sell it by me for £20 a gallon

Nexus

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 06:09:51 PM »

Already using full synthetic, and yes PtP their are a reasonable number of short trips each month but I try and take the occassional longer run just to get everything moving.  More of a concern would be the amount of time the car stands idle as I go to work on my mountain bike, the TJ sometimes does not move for 2 weeks.  Will have a look at Demon Tweeks.

Cheers
Nick

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »

20quid a gallon :shock:

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

scrw

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »

Always been a believer of standard oil changed often

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »

me too

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Bishops Finger

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »

Err yup....

captain cavalier

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 09:29:36 PM »

Yep for synthetic.

Paid £30 in halfords day before

Thought good price for fully synthetic
Pages: [1]   Go Up