Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-enforced lower control arm mounts  (Read 898 times)

warp

Re-enforced lower control arm mounts
« on: September 06, 2010, 07:28:31 PM »

Well I was all set to attend cheapfest and would you know it  there's a shuddering from the steering wheel and the little voice inside my head Say's "That ain't good!!!" So get back home and have a look under the jeep to find this

The little voice in mind head coughs and goes "That defiantly ain't good!!"

So the options open to me were

A: Buy a new axle (To expensive and way to much hassle)

B: Get some pre made one's from rusty's offroad in america (Basically £100 and a 6 month wait for rusty to get his finger out of his A*se and send them)

or

C: Make your own

So going for option C involved a hours under the jeep to come up with the following diagram

[attachment=2]

After checking and rechecking that the measurement were correct. I went in search of the materials to make said offending articles. One option i did consider was 120mm x 80mm box section which did help with the overall shape, but decied not to  because of the amount of work it would take with the cutting. So I settled for 5mm mild stel plate (£10 for Beeches in netherton).

To finish off after a Day's work I ended up with these
[attachment=3]

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
Re: Re-enforced lower control arm mounts
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »

looking good  :greggmo:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

warp

Re: Re-enforced lower control arm mounts
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »

Thanks, I don't know if I would be pissed or proud if I bust these :icon_biggrin:
Pages: [1]   Go Up