Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: loss of power  (Read 3473 times)

td marmo

loss of power
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »

HI all can anyone enlighten me of the cause of total loss of drive I have an xj 4 ltr 1995 68000 miles , driving to work the other morning started ok got to the top of my road stopped pulled  off on exsellerating there was a vibration like as if the prop was out of balance or like when you run over rumble strips on the road, the rumble when't away very quickly carried on for about a mile or so as normal no noises came to halt in traffic on a slight incline took my foot off brakes jeep rolled backwards , tried to pull away no drive at all , I have checked the fluid level thats ok, removed fluid pipe  from gearbox started engine in park fluid ran from box no pressure nothing from the pipe , am I right in thinking that the torque converter has failed ? any help would be appeciated

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »

Have you checked the transfer box is ok? Best way in this case, does the Jeep still hold still in Park, If not the T/case could be broken. Otherwise, if the oil level's correct in the gearbox, something's definitely broken. The cooler line shouldn't be pressurised but there should be a healthy flow with the engine running, if the ain't, either all the bolts have fallen out of the drive plate or it's sheared off the crankshaft (not very likeley) something is obstructing the oil pickup or the oil pump has failed.

scrw

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:25:58 AM »

sounds like the torque convertor has come away from the drive plate, or the convertor has failed.

td marmo

loss of power
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »

the engine still runs under revs no noises at all , when it happened it rolled back it was still in  drive, one thing  I have noticed lately when   I park on my driveway which has a slight slope backwards when I put it in park the jeep would drop backwards slightly,  the pump is  in the bell housing driven by the torque converter yes? so therefore it's got come out yes

garyf

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »

the oil pump is driven off of the flats that are part of the torque convertor

I have had the torque convertor to flywheel bolts come loose so it could be worth checking they havnt fell out or sheared, easy enough to do just remove the cover plate that is at the bottom of the bell housing, engine side, you should see the drive plate bolts in there I think there is 5 or 6 of them, 15mm spanner size if I remember correctly
Pages: [1]   Go Up