Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SINGLE POINT GAS CONVERSION  (Read 4248 times)

neilhull

SINGLE POINT GAS CONVERSION
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »

HI any one got a cherokee 4l with a single point gas conversion as i am going to fit one to my 1997 cherry . I would like to know how they run with this system . I can not afford a multipoint system  
    cheers NEIL

dxmedia

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »

Yes, and absolutely fine.

scrw

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:45:23 PM »

A mate fitted one from a scrap mk1, seeing about 17mpg from it IIRC

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »

they work fine, I ran one for 8 months and had ony 1 problem, that was on hot days if the car was left in the sun it would not switch back to petrol so i could start it. All i had to do was pull a wire off the changeover solenoid and run it for a few miles on petrol,stop put the wire back on and then it would change back onto to gas.mine wasn't the best installed system tho.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »

chrisjones has one on his cherry. Main problem is with backfiring, which blows holes in the airbox. Dunno if you can get some kind of anti-backfire device.

big g

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:35:04 PM »

Single point on mine-never missed a beat in 6 thousand miles-well pleased :-D

garyf

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 11:38:22 PM »

me got one absolutely cracking, fitted it myself and it was a peice of p!ss, the engine itself is absolutly fine to run on LPG no need for valve lube or owt, never run mine on petrol, lots run them on start up on petrol just till they warm up but mine is fine on gas all the time :wink: just occasionally flick switch basically to stop the injecyors sticking or the fuel going stale

captain cavalier

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »

Run mine no probs

Its my daily driver and starts every time.

There is a valve in my air filter which will blow open on a backfire.

Only ever had one once and that was using easy start (long story)

neilhull

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 10:09:37 AM »

THANKS for all the replies .  I will fit one in April . Will let you know how i get on with this . cheers NEIL

ps hopefully by april it will have warmed up still frost up where i stay

xjman

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:59:06 AM »

Hi,
     My 93 XJ has single point LPG and I have done over 30,000 on gas with no problems except one. When I bought it about 4 years ago it would sometimes cut out when coasting down a long hill.  I eventually figured out what the problem was with some help from the net.  The problem was a ram air effect into the air intake which if strong enough weaken the gas mixture enough for it to stall.  I blocked up the original opening and made a new one on the underside of the intake, this prevents the air being rammed into it and I have not had any problems since. So I would say, yes, go for it. :-D

8adger

Gas conversion
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 09:19:12 AM »

Hi, I have a 1996 Cherokee with a gas conversion which runs like a dream. I have an eighty litre tank and get 280 miles on average to a tankfull. It costs about £35.00 to fill, it only takes between 65 and 70 litres for some reason. You can tell the  difference driving on petrol or gas but average about 33 to a gallon equivalent.

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »

its a safety thing, you can only ever fill up an lpg tank 80% this is to allow for expansion of the gases within the tank.as its a luquid it is more dense and then as it changes to gas due to heat expansion it expands and takes up a greater volume.

xjman

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »

Hi,
     I just wanted to add that it was only after I had been running my 93 XJ on gas for 18 months or so that I realized that the fuel pump was still running even when it was on gas.  There is no need for the pump while on gas unless the gas tank is nearly empty and you might need to switch back to petrol.  I have fitted a cutoff switch for the fuel pump and switch it off as soon as it is running on gas,  I'm sure this will extend the life of the fuel pump.  Lighthouse Jeep spares will not sell you a fuel pump if you are running on LPG, ask me how I know.  I can only assume that this is due to the number of returns they have been getting.  Hope this helps.  :-D

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »

if you run a v8 on it you cant seem to find a mixer ring that will flow the gas nicely without restricting the air flow for full balls out running on petrol

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

dxmedia

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »

Quote from: "xjman"
Hi,
     I just wanted to add that it was only after I had been running my 93 XJ on gas for 18 months or so that I realized that the fuel pump was still running even when it was on gas.  There is no need for the pump while on gas unless the gas tank is nearly empty and you might need to switch back to petrol.  I have fitted a cutoff switch for the fuel pump and switch it off as soon as it is running on gas,  I'm sure this will extend the life of the fuel pump.  Lighthouse Jeep spares will not sell you a fuel pump if you are running on LPG, ask me how I know.  I can only assume that this is due to the number of returns they have been getting.  Hope this helps.  :-D

As long as you keep more than 1/2 a tank <> of petrol in there it shouldn't effect the longevity of the fuel pump anymore than normal use. If your running on petrol the pump would be running all of the time, just because your running on lpg shouldn't effect the pump as long as it's submurged enought that it doesn't heat up.

big g

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »

Couldn't find a gas station today,greedy little bugger on rocket fuel.

Didn't know about the pump constantly running-I'll keep a bit more in from now on.
Not too expensive only got a little 30ltr custom petrol tank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up