Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serpent belt chirp.  (Read 4300 times)

Oddball

Serpent belt chirp.
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »

I've noticed that my drive belt has begun to chirp at idle speed. I can recognise the squeal of a worn alternator belt but this one being different an all I really don't know what to make of it. It only happens at idle, a sort of low pitched hum/squeak sort of noise, and ends with a little chirp when I increase the RPM.

It's my general understanding that when belts become noisy, it's time to replace, just wanted your expert advice.

Also, is changing the belt a difficult one? I'm a bit of a spannerman so, should I do this one myself or is it easier to let the garage do it?

'98 XJ 2.5TD

scrw

Re: Serpent belt chirp.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:47:02 PM »

On a TD I would swap it, you don't want that overheating  :wink:  Could also be a bearing in an idler or PS pump/alternator.
Do the belt first though

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: Serpent belt chirp.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:58:20 PM »

what you could do is listen for the chirp and try and trace where it is comming from. a long screwdriver resting on the body of the various pulleys and then have the handle to an ear will locate a failing bearing. be wary of catching the screwdriver in any of the moving pipes.

the other way (safer) is to use some pipe in the same manner as the sound will be amplified through it. 1/4" pipe should be ok also if it gets caught in any moving parts the damage will be a shredded plastic hose
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up