Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power steering  (Read 4759 times)

Ric Jacques

Power steering
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:56:40 PM »

Anybody heard of an electro-hydraulic power assist conversion on a CJ or am I going to be the first idiot to try it????

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
Re: Power steering
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »

i think you will be the first

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »

I take it , its one of those systems  that use an electric motor to power the pump so its ultimately variable in the pressure and how light you want the system?

Ric Jacques

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »

Exactly that.  I want it to be not so light for normal driving - you know power assist rather than straight power steering, and be able to switch it to full power for froading.

I read about it being done on a cherry, so figure I'll give it a go.  Plus I'm not getting anywhere finding a mechanical CJ pump complete with pulley.

All the bits are readily available on the bay, so I've started to get them!

Nosebolt

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:55:30 PM »

I recall reading about a ZF power seering unit that adjusted force to speed ie the slower you were going the more assist you get progesivly down to no assist at mororway speed. dont know how it was controlled but seen to remember it was fitted to MK1 vauhall carltons

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »

get one off a new mini, they whine like a bstd from new but BM wont fix it due to there not being a significant number of complaints. the motor actually powers the steering so you should be able to unbolt it and copy the installation to another steering colum IIR
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Ric Jacques

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:06:59 AM »

I'm going for an MR2 system. Uses a stand alone power steering ecu, I can rig up a switch that increases the pump output when I turn the wheel through x degrees. There is an optional speed input but it takes it from an electrical signal into the speedo on the mr2, I don't think by mechanical driven speedo will talk to the ecu!

I'll be happy enough with the column switch and an override switch on the dash.

Seems to be a simple install so expect to see it up in the write up section soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up