Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: zj- brakes part rwo  (Read 1332 times)

mean dog

zj- brakes part rwo
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:45:13 PM »

Many thanks Tank & Daggie,
  Stripped brakes down again, pistons and sliders seem to be working ok, put old pads back on, no problems.It seems to me that the new pads are to thick!!!
Does anyone know the thickness of genuine Jeep pads? The new ones are just a fraction under 3/8 of an inch, dont know how much was rubbed off after doing about 50 miles. Got to get this sorted, going over the Alps end of month, and her indoors is flapping a bit, 'Im not going in that, get it sorted' mmmm now thats a thought Ill go on me own!!

Tank

Re: zj- brakes part rwo
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »

Still could be the calipers.I cant imagine the pads being too thick if bought correctly.If you can get everything back together with new ones in then i cant see that being the case anyway

sprintagogo

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:14:18 PM »

Check the guides on the steering knuckle that the brake pads slide on. These are often notched where the brake pad has been rubbing over the years and it could be that the pads are sitting stuck in the dimple rather than freeing off after use. If this is the case just get someone to fill the hollow with a welder then grind it all flat again. I have done this a few times and it works great (even though I know in theory you shouldn't be able to throw weld at a cast peice?).

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »

MD
thats exactly the same as mine were, NEW stuff sorted it,all worked fine off the motor, but not on it  :icon_sad:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

mean dog

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »

Thanks again guys,
Will check out  the info. that you gave me, Tank, as you said the new ones fitted with no probs. Strang though, no probs. at all with old ones.
Let you know when I've sorted it.
Thanks again

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:51:44 AM »

I've had my zg for over 3yrs & this was the 1st time i've changed the pads & discs :icon_rolleyes:
I think it has summat to do with the piston being so far out of the cylinder, for so long, the it gets pushed back in it won't budge then gets stuck.
and the rubber sliders just wouldn't slide, no matter how much lube I put in them

??? :102:

good luck
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover
Pages: [1]   Go Up