Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cherokee lift kit  (Read 1882 times)

rob.79

Cherokee lift kit
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »

hi all,
 i,m thinking about lifting the cherokee, but on a budget, like everyone!!!  (cheers mr brown! :-X)
   i,ve been looking at budget lift kits/spacer kits, rear 2.5" spacer under the rear coil, front, 3" extended upper strut mount, has anyone had any experiences with these, and i,ve been told i should fit extended rear shocks if poss, as the oe ones wont last too long? and i may have to trim/grind the upper front susp arm as it may contact the spring?
  i,ve also been told i,l be able to fit 245/75R16 (31") tyres? will i need spacers? if so how big?
  will 245/75 be ok on my standard 16" wheels?  :026:

rob.79

Re: Cherokee lift kit
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »

Well...
  i,ve ordered a rocky road kit, we,ll see how it goes, ( second hand/like new, 85 snots plus postage on hebay)
 tyres prooving elusive, loads of 245 70 16,s, but not too many 75 16,s, would i be correct in thinking 31x10 16 would be about the same?   :003:

Green Jeep

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:11:32 PM »

I bought a Teraflex kit, 2" spacers and extended shackles, very good quality, I used them to add to the existing 2.5" Procomp lift kit which was a proper springs, shocks and leafs.

Have read that AAL (Add a Leaf) kits can cause the remaining leafs to sag after a period of time.

The books say you need a 3" lift for 31x10.5 R15 tyres, but we've seen a 2" kit cope fine.

I run 34" swampers and 33" Maxxis mudders, a little bit of rubbing, we have chopped the arches back a lot and welded plates across to the inner wing to make stonger.

On my new Cherokee we'll add a 2" lift and put 31" on for winter, seems to be fine on old 29" muds at this time of year.

rob.79

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:54:13 PM »

recieved sed lift kit throught the post, looks ok, might have a bash at it over the weekend,                                                                     oh, cheers mr customs! :swear_mad: stung for tax, but half expected!!!!

been chasing up bigger tyres,
    age old question A/T or M/T? (will be mostly on road, but plan to do some off roadin at weekend)
    short list of tyres,               £50-£80 per corner(trade prices, woo advantage of working in a garage)   (245 75 r 16)
    toyo crosscountry A/T (already have these fitted, seem to be ok+ done around 16k)
    general grabber A/T2
    runway enduro A/T (cheapest!) :icon_rolleyes:
    hankook M/T R3?

what area M/T tyres like on the road? will the tarmac kill them? i'll be using them every day, on the A19, aprox 20 miles, @70mph ish...  :006:

Bishops Finger

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »

Bit noiser than A/Ts but worth it for weekend work

BFG's won't wear for @60k miles

Green Jeep

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »

Maxxis are the way to go at that price.... as good off road as BF muds at almost half the price, very quite on road, lots of different options. Lots of us are using these in Devon/Cornwall now... everyone is pleased with them. 31x10.5 R15, fitted, £275 happy days, I have 33" ones at £340 fitted, both prices are their standard mudders 'buckshots' same pattern as BF muds.

This site is ace for comparing tyres....
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Maxxis_Trepador_Radial.htm

also look at maxxis.co.uk and maxxis.com

Bishops Finger

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »

Ah you must have dealers wishing to sell them then....

rob.79

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 01:34:47 PM »

It had set of MAXXIS MA road bias tyres fitted to the jeep when i bought it, these were very soft and didnt last long,terrible even on a wet road, constant over steer,  pooh i thought........
I can get a set of HANKOOK RT 03 M/T, for around £300 and fit them myself at work, (can do laser wheel alignment too woo!) been looking at these, seem to be ok, would like to fit BFG M/T, reviews are great, but its all about money, i know in the long run it could be cheaper, but gonna need to replace at least 2 tyres, in next month or so..... also looks like lift kit not getting fitted this weekend either, busy busy busy.......... damn!, (prob best to just wait till tyres sorted anyway, and do suspension, fit tyres, adjust wheel alignment, then go play.)  :greggmo:

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »

Could buy a set of very nice rims with BFG's already attached :greggmo:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=110412020902
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

BK

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »

Ive got 31" maxxis buckshot mudders on mine and they have been brill and wasnt no-where near as dear as BFG,s .I run a 3" lift on mine with no problems with rubbing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up