Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: '94 XJ Help & advice needed  (Read 2936 times)

JakesterUK

'94 XJ Help & advice needed
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »

Hi all,

I've recently got a '94 4.0L XJ which has a number of silly niggles which I would really appreciate some advice on, I've had GC's before but this is my first XJ.

Sorry for all the questions, but thought would be best to just lump them all together.

1. At low speeds, say slowing down for a roundabout or junction or bend the steering suddenly gets heavier, I've checked the PS fluid and its fine, theres no leaks, its running on nearly new 227/75/15's all with good pressures, any ideas what's causing this and how to cure?

2. The heater works on the top setting (I belive this is fed direct from the battery, but wont work on the lower settings?

3.  The water temp gauge when driving regardless of how far never goes above 60, but every Jeep I've ever owned before have always sat all day every day at 100?  This morning went on a 25 mile trip and never went above 60 and heater blew tepidly warm air all the time, but then sat with engine running for 10 mins at end of journey and gauge went upto 100 and heater blew warm, BUT as soon as I drove off gauge drops back to 60 and heater goes cool again..... Has me baffled

4.  As per above heater only blows tepid warm air, is this due to the thermostat not opening up as it should...

5.  On XJ's when you open the door is it only the front footwell lights and rear interior roof light that come on? Is there no front roof light that comes on when the door opens?

Thanks in advance

sprintagogo

Re: '94 XJ Help & advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »

1. Sounds as though the power steering pump might be struggling? Have you checked to make sure the drive belt is really tight? The belt on the cherokees is surprisingly tight but if it was loose enough to slip on the steering pump I would expect you to be getting squealing and charging problems from the alternator (or maybe you are and didn't mention it?). Otherwise it could be a new pump needed, mine also has the tendancy to go a bit heavy at slow speeds/slow engine revs but it is fine at other times so I am leaving it to develop into a more obvious fault.

2. The fan speed control resistor is burnt out, I had to change mine a few weeks ago, luckily I had a scrap vehicle to pinch one from so I don't know how much it costs. On the face lift models it is behind the glove box and takes only 10 minutes to change, I expect it will be in the same place on your earlier model.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/another-blower-motor-resistor-question-844997/

3. Sounds like typical thermostat problem. Either t-stat is jammed open or is missing all together. Maybe the previous owner took it out because of overheating problems, I know I was worried when I got my jeep because every other vehicle I have owned has run at around 90 according to the heat guage so a figure of 100-102 given by the Jeep was worrying. If you replace the t-stat and normal temps resume then watch out for overheating.

4. Not sure about the interior lights on the earlier models but in my facelift model, opening the doors results in the interior lighting up like a christmas tree, front footwells, lights by interior mirror, lights by drivers head rest for front/rear passenger area ands a light in the boot area. This draws loads of juice, from memory I think leaving the door open draws nearly 5 amps when I checked so don't leave the doors open for hours when loading /unloading the Jeep or you could suffer a dead battery.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:22:31 PM »

as above

the heater should be blowing hot after 10 mins, check t-stat and check to see if you have an airlock in the heater matrix, both hoses should be hot to the touch when warmed up..

when the driver door is opened the driver footwell is lit, the rear passenger lights are lit and the rear boot light is lit. the front driver and passenger lights dont light up, this is from a MK1 jeep
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

JakesterUK

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »

Thanks, had a quick look when I got in and the belt is a tad looser than I would normally have, where do you adjust the belt tension on an XJ?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »

i think its a spring loaded self tenshioner you need a belt

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:44 PM »

Yep, it's got a spring loaded tensioner. If the belt is loose, you may need a new
tensioner. Check the inside (the side with the grooves) of the sepentine belt for
cracks to see if you need a new one.

sprintagogo

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 08:19:01 AM »

Yep, it's got a spring loaded tensioner. If the belt is loose, you may need a new
tensioner.

Not sure this is 100%correct? My 2000 has a threaded adjuster bolt (loosen the alt mounting bolts, twiddle the adjuster that ISN'T seized then retighten the mounting bolts) and I seem to remember it being a similar set up on an old 1993 4ltr I stripped out except the alt was in a different place.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »

tensioner.

Not sure this is 100%correct? My 2000 has a threaded adjuster bolt (loosen the alt mounting bolts, twiddle the adjuster that ISN'T seized then retighten the mounting bolts) and I seem to remember it being a similar set up on an old 1993 4ltr I stripped out except the alt was in a different place.

My original post said it MAY need a new tensioner, or it MAY need adjusting. On a 99, the
adjuster is a bolt on the power steering pump.

sprintagogo

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:56:41 PM »

Quote from: tim_aka_tim (franticly back pedalling)

Quote from: tim_aka_tim
tensioner.

My original post said it MAY need a new tensioner, or it MAY need adjusting. On a 99, the
adjuster is a bolt on the power steering pump.

Come on Tim, in your original post you 100% said it was a spring loaded tensioner! Perhaps I got out of the wrong side of the bed today but it really bugs me when people go around giving out speculative wrong information as if it is gospel. I also think it would be a good idea to man up and admit to being wrong rather than trying to bullshit your way out, your credibility will suffer otherwise, I used to think you knew what you were talking about!

Perhaps you should do what I normally do and qualify your statements with terms like.... it might work..... yours should be the same..... in theory this will work, etc. At least this way it gives people a chance to spot that you might actually be talking complete bollix?

None of us knows everything and even similar vehicles from the same model year can have differences (the 1999.5 front hub and rotor change on the Cherokee for example) so pretending to know it all and then having a back handed dig when someone points out a mistake is no help to the people that come to these forums to tap into the enormous knowledge pool that forums can provide.

Right, rant over, I will go back to my corner of a darkened room to calm down before  :headhack:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »

:popcorn: :044:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

sprintagogo

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 07:21:14 PM »

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 07:36:51 PM »

does it matter as long as the member has help  :icon_rolleyes:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »

Why would anybody take what I say as gospel. People on here know I've not owned a Jeep
for years. My responses use the words may and might because I just look up the answer on
the internet - I have no XJ to check on. Therefore, each reply by me is merely a suggestion
that has some possibility of helping. And often when nobody else offers anything, some
people appeciate me at least trying.

I actually wrote that there may be an adjuster because of what you wrote, and I agreed that
there could be an adjuster too. The 94 does indeed have a spring loaded tensioner, but as I don't
have one, I took into account the possibility of there being an adjuster too. Something to check,
or for someone who actually knows to confirm or deny.

Nobody on this forum claims to be an expert, no least me.

It's mis-guided ranting like this that makes people not want to respond for fear of being ripped
apart.

Put your popcorn awat bulldog, nothing to see here.....

JakesterUK

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »

Thanks one and all for the advise and pointers, I'm going to have a look at the XJ tomorrow and see whether it has/hasn't got a spring tensioner.

Would be handy if it hadn't so I can just tighten and get on with life

sprintagogo

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »

Quote from: tim_aka_tim
Put your popcorn away bulldog, nothing to see here.....

Yay, we're all good here too. I have had a large brandy and chilled out a little.

Quote from: JakesterUK
I'm going to have a look at the XJ tomorrow and see whether it has/hasn't got a spring tensioner.

Would be handy if it hadn't so I can just tighten and get on with life

Simples is what we like!

loosenup

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 08:12:09 AM »

I used to have a 95 XJ, and that had a spring tensioner right on the top of the engine just left of the rocker cover.
From memory it uses a 17mm bolt.
I changed the serpinetine belt on the 85 and it was a right git to get in an out.
Oh yeah and there are various different lenghts of belts depending on year and pully layout.. mine was about 2.6 metres long.
hope this helps
Phill

JakesterUK

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 09:19:37 PM »

Thanks for the advise guys, it was he spring tensioner, so new tensioner & belt fitted.. :icon_biggrin:
Pages: [1]   Go Up